Just found a ten-year-old can of lima beans

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: However, the quality of the food, such as color, taste, and texture may suffer.As long as the can is intact and not dented, it should be safe to eat. However, the quality of the food, such as color, taste, and texture may suffer.So, I think it's a toss up.Just keep in mind that if you put them away for another 10 years, if the can starts to swell, toss it out before it explodes! The only thing worse than eating 10 year old lima beans would be cleaning up exploded older
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Should I eat them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt they will kill you, but they can make you leaky.

I would just toss them.

Math Is Hard said:
Should I eat them?
Wow! I have underwear (and T-shirts) that old, but not canned goods. Discard now! The cost of a can of Lima beans is not comparable to the value of your life. Of course, if you were an enemy instead of a friend, I might say "sure"!

Treat yourself...go out and buy some yummy frozen lima beans :biggrin:!

Math Is Hard said:
Should I eat them?
:rofl: SIS! Yes, but wait until I send you my 10 year old capers to go with them.

I would string them and put them on the Christmas tree!

hypatia said:
I would string them and put them on the Christmas tree!
Please don't string them and place them outside for the birds. They might get sick. When I was a kid, we would string popcorn and cranberries to trim our Christmas trees, and when we took down our tree, we would save those garlands to decorate our outside trees. The birds loved it and visited all winter!

You are making something for your coworkers too ... ?

rootX said:
You are making something for your coworkers too ... ?
Something with Lima beans? The plot sickens.

I can't believe there is such a difference between green lima beans (which taste like a cross between cardboard and sneakers) and dried white lima beans which cook into a velvety, buttery taste and consistency.

Math Is Hard said:
Should I eat them?
One should never eat canned lima beans. But, instead of tossing them, pretend you have just bought a new can and put them away for another 10 years. Saves a dollar, same effect.

The only thing ten year old lima beans would go good with is a ten year old can of Spam.:yuck:

Last edited:
NO, don't eat them! It doesn't matter how old they are, lima beans should only be used for decoration, never eaten!

I think Chi's advice was very practical!

Math Is Hard said:
I think Chi's advice was very practical!

Just keep in mind that if you put them away for another 10 years, if the can starts to swell, toss it out before it explodes! The only thing worse than eating 10 year old lima beans would be cleaning up exploded older-than-10-year-old lima beans.

So putting them in the canned goods collection box for the needy would be wrong, I take it?

Evo said:
:rofl: SIS! Yes, but wait until I send you my 10 year old capers to go with them.

I am thinking one of us has some food product in a can or jar that is older than the youngest member at PF.

There were documented incidents of canned meat being still fit for consumption after being buried in the permafrost for 75 years.

Sell them on Ebay. With the proceeds, buy two cans and stash them away for 10 years.

While cleaning out my father-in-laws garage we found a 6 pack of Coors with a note "From about 1970" Needless to say grandpa was not much of a beer drinker!

Need some beer for that capers and lima bean dinner?

I didn't think that canned goods perished unless, as TurtleMeister pointed out, the can's integrity is interrupted.

However, I agree with Chi Meson that one ought not eat canned lima beans in the first place.

Last edited:
I ate some uncanned WWII chocolate field rations when I was kid. It didn't taste like chocolate. It must have been 40 years old.

Last edited:
I think you should eat them and post an hour by hour update of how you're feeling. I think that'd be really scientific!

Hmmm, I have a bottle of 1998 Chateauneuf du pape. Should I serve it my guests? (I don't drink wine anymore)

Andre said:
Hmmm, I have a bottle of 1998 Chateauneuf du pape. Should I serve it my guests? (I don't drink wine anymore)
NO, you should send it to me:wink:

Eww - and I thought my 2-year old canned turkey gravy (bought to make then leftover thanksgiving turkey in open faced sandwiches) was bad (and yes -- we did throw out the turkey before even using the yuck-o canned gravy, which is why it's still there!).

Math Is Hard said:
I am thinking one of us has some food product in a can or jar that is older than the youngest member at PF.

Now that you come to think of it... having food in my house older than our little E seems wrong... well, other than staples --- things like flour and seasonings don't seem to count (although at one point I had seasonings older than I was when my mother gave me her "spice rack" for college... the one that she got when she married dad, and some of the spices seemed untouched).

Math Is Hard said:

I have a small jar of ginger powder that I got from my Dad.

My Dad died back in July 1991, so ginger must be over 18.

It's probably already been said, but I'll just pile on. Everyone will tell you the same thing. Toss them out. If you want a spectrum of opinions, you need to talk about a new can of Lima beans.

I hate lima beans.

Integral said:
While cleaning out my father-in-laws garage we found a 6 pack of Coors with a note "From about 1970" Needless to say grandpa was not much of a beer drinker!

Need some beer for that capers and lima bean dinner?
An old friend of mine was a drinker - he taught me how to make killer home-brew. He was also a collector, and I'd like to know what happened to that unopened case of Billy Beer in his bar after he died. It might still be kicking around somewhere.

physics girl phd said:
Now that you come to think of it... having food in my house older than our little E seems wrong... well, other than staples --- things like flour and seasonings don't seem to count (although at one point I had seasonings older than I was when my mother gave me her "spice rack" for college... the one that she got when she married dad, and some of the spices seemed untouched).

I think I can contribute some more than 10 year old spices. Even when I move, those don't get cleared out, because I just grab handfuls from the spice cabinet and toss them into boxes without looking. I KNOW there must be some old spices buried in the cupboard that shouldn't be used anymore (probably not harmful, just flavorless by now). Yes, I think some are from the spice rack my mom gave me when I moved into my first apartment, and they were probably already old then, because I don't think she bought it for me, just gave me something someone gave her as a gift and was just collecting dust. Some of those are spices I just don't use, but never threw out. And then there are those spices you buy for one recipe that you make once a year on special occasions, and even after 10 years, you still have half a bottle left, plus another new bottle because you had to buy them again when you couldn't find the old one buried SOMEWHERE in the pantry.

1. What is the shelf life of a can of lima beans?

The shelf life of a can of lima beans can vary depending on the storage conditions and the expiration date listed on the can. However, most canned foods have a shelf life of 2-5 years.

2. Are the lima beans safe to eat after 10 years?

It is not recommended to consume canned foods that are past their expiration date. The quality and safety of the food may have been compromised over time, so it is best to discard the can of lima beans.

3. Can I still use the lima beans for cooking?

It is not recommended to use the lima beans for cooking after 10 years. The beans may have lost their texture and flavor, and could potentially make you sick if consumed.

4. How should I dispose of the can of lima beans?

The safest way to dispose of the can of lima beans is to seal it in a plastic bag and throw it in the trash. Do not attempt to open the can or consume the beans.

5. Can I donate the can of lima beans to a food bank or charity?

No, it is not recommended to donate expired or potentially unsafe canned foods to charities or food banks. It is best to dispose of the can properly and purchase a new can of lima beans if needed.