Choice of variable to make matrix rank = 1

In summary, in order for the matrix to have a rank of 1, the nullity must also be 1. To find a more general solution, we can let d = k and have a matrix of the form a b, 0 k, where a and k are not both 0. This will result in a rank of 1.
gtse

Homework Statement

What choice of d would make matrix
a b
c d
have a rank of 1?

Homework Equations

rank(A) + nullity(A) = n

The Attempt at a Solution

In order for rank = 1, then nullity must = 1 because n = 2.
This isn't a nonsingular matrix, so det(A) = ad-bc =/= 0.
d = bc/a, where 'a' cannot be 0.
Let's say a = 1, then the matrix will be
1 ad/c
c d
c cannot be 0 either, so matrix is now
1 d
1 d
and I guess a possible candidate would just then be
1 1
1 1?

I think I'm supposed to give the answer in more arbitrary terms, so I am lost here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post.

You are correct in your approach that in order for the rank of the matrix to be 1, the nullity must also be 1. This means that there is only one linearly independent row or column in the matrix.

To find a more general solution, we can let d = k, where k is a constant. This means that the matrix will be
a b
c k

If we let a = 1 and c = 0, then the matrix would be
1 b
0 k
This matrix has a rank of 1 because the first row is linearly independent, and the second row is a multiple of the first row.

In general, any matrix of the form
a b
0 k
will have a rank of 1 as long as a and k are not both 0.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the purpose of making the matrix rank equal to 1?

The purpose of making the matrix rank equal to 1 is to reduce the number of variables in a system of equations, making it easier to solve and analyze. It also helps to identify the linear dependence or independence of the variables.

2. How do you determine which variable to choose to make the matrix rank equal to 1?

The variable that you choose to make the matrix rank equal to 1 should be a non-zero variable that does not have a coefficient in common with other variables in the matrix. It is usually chosen by trial and error or by using a method such as Gaussian elimination.

3. What are the benefits of having a matrix rank equal to 1?

Having a matrix rank equal to 1 can simplify the solution of a system of equations and make it easier to interpret the results. It also helps to identify the relationship between the variables and can provide insight into the underlying structure of the system.

4. What happens if the matrix rank is not equal to 1?

If the matrix rank is not equal to 1, it means that there are more than one independent variables in the system. This can make it more difficult to solve the system of equations and may require more advanced methods such as matrix inversion or eigenvalue decomposition.

5. Are there any limitations to using the choice of variable to make matrix rank equal to 1?

While choosing a variable to make the matrix rank equal to 1 can be a useful technique in solving systems of equations, it may not always be possible or appropriate. In some cases, it may result in a loss of information or oversimplification of the problem. It is important to carefully consider the specific problem at hand before applying this method.