Need help wiring a solar panel to electric motor

In summary, the user is seeking advice on how to safely wire a 4W 12V solar panel, a 12V battery, and a 12V DC 15 RPM High Torque Gear Box Electric Motor. They mention concerns about starting a fire and ask for guidance on what needs to be done. Suggestions include using a 1A fuse and a Schottky diode to prevent back-feeding and potential damage to the panel. The user also mentions the importance of posting a schematic and taking precautions to avoid damaging expensive panels.
dogsnuts
Hi everyone,
i want to make sure that when i wire this all up I am not going to start a fire :)

So, I've got a 4W 12V solar panel the unit produces up to 333mA
a 12V battery and a 12V DC 15 RPM High Torque Gear Box Electric Motor.

I'm a newbie so don't much about electronics. All i want is for the motor to run and not blow me up.
Can someone please walk me though what needs to be done, or what i need to buy if what I've got is wrong.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess that, to be on the safe side, you should put a 1A fuse on the lead to the battery, right next to the battery terminal. The solar panel won't be capable of "blowing up" anything but a car battery can supply hundreds of Amps into a short circuit, if one should occur and could melt any leads and start a fire. A low value fuse will take care of that risk.

A few things would be important here. I agree with sophiecentaur that a fuse is very important. But more than that, get a Schottky diode for the solar panel (schottky because of low voltage drop). I don't know what kind you have. It may have one built into it. But be sure. You don't want the battery to back-feed into the panel. It will burn it up if you're not careful.

Also, a lot of this depends on how you're hooking it up. If you have a solar panel with a diode in series then the battery in parallel with a fuse in series (and a switch hopefully) and then the motor, you should be fine. It may be wise to post a schematic of what you're doing if possible. Panels can get expensive, so you don't want to blow a bunch up.

---------------
Justin Coulston
justin.coulston@gmail.com
TheModernEngineer.blogspot.com

1. How do I connect a solar panel to an electric motor?

To connect a solar panel to an electric motor, you will need to use a charge controller to regulate the flow of electricity from the solar panel to the motor. The charge controller will also prevent overcharging of the motor. You will then need to connect the positive and negative terminals of the solar panel to the corresponding terminals on the charge controller. Finally, connect the positive and negative terminals of the charge controller to the positive and negative terminals of the electric motor.

2. What type of solar panel is best for powering an electric motor?

The type of solar panel that is best for powering an electric motor will depend on the specific requirements of the motor. Generally, a monocrystalline or polycrystalline solar panel will provide enough power to run a small electric motor. However, if you need to power a larger electric motor, you may need a larger solar panel or multiple solar panels connected in parallel.

3. How much power does a solar panel need to produce to run an electric motor?

The amount of power needed from a solar panel to run an electric motor will depend on the voltage and amperage requirements of the motor. To determine the required power, you can use the formula P = V x I, where P is power (in watts), V is voltage (in volts), and I is current (in amps). Make sure to also factor in any additional power needs such as a charge controller or inverter.

4. Do I need a battery to run an electric motor with a solar panel?

In most cases, a battery is not necessary to run an electric motor with a solar panel. However, if you want to use the motor at night or during cloudy days, you will need a battery to store the excess solar power. Additionally, using a battery can provide a more consistent power supply to the motor.

5. Can I use a solar panel to power multiple electric motors at once?

Yes, it is possible to use a solar panel to power multiple electric motors at the same time. However, you will need to make sure that the solar panel is large enough to produce enough power for all of the motors. You may also need to use a larger charge controller and possibly multiple charge controllers, depending on the size and power requirements of the motors.