Electronic Speed Control Question

In summary, the speaker is asking if it is possible to swap components from a 36 volt electric scooter ESC into a 24 volt one, in order to have a higher quality 36 volt unit. The person has experience in soldering and TV repair but is unsure of which parts handle voltage ratings. The expert summarizer advises against this, stating that the two circuits are most likely not identical and swapping components may result in two non-functioning units. The expert also explains that the voltage is not controlled by a specific component but by how the parts work together in a switching power supply, and the likelihood of the two ESCs being the same is very small.
fahcue
Hello, I'm not sure if this is where I need to be, but here goes. I have a Currie 24 volt ESC for an electric scooter, I also have a generic one that is 36 volts, both work perfect, my question is the 24 volt is built much, much better than the 36 volt, what I would like to do is swap the parts from the 36 into the 24 volt thus making it a higher quality 36 volt esc. I hope this makes sense. I worked in t.v. repair so soldering etc is no problem. Now I don't know what parts handle the voltage rateings, I'm sure the mosfets, caps , etc will have to be swapped but I don't know the details, this is just an idea so if it's not possible no biggie. The 24 volt has much heavier wires, connectors, and the internal parts are better also, board, heat sinks, etc. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One of the first rules in engineering is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

What I understand is that the 24 V unit is physically constructed better but you would prefer to have the unit operate up to 36 V, so you would like to move the components from the higher rated unit to the better constructed one.

Are the two circuits identical except for the voltage ratings? If not I doubt if swapping components from one to the other will leave you with a working circuit. If they are identical, then check to see which components are different and swap only those.

I have over 30 years designing state of the art electronic circuits, BSEE and MSEE.
On my authority go ahead and change the parts, the most likely result of that will be that you will have two units that do not work.

The chance that the two circuits have inter-changeable parts is nil.
If they are different manufactures they will not be the same at all. If they are the same Manufacturer it is highly unlikely that the design will be the same.
The unit generates the voltage not by a selection of a particular part but by how the parts operate together. Most likely the circuit is a switching power supply. There are hundreds of types of switching power supplies and the likely hood that these two are the same is vanishingly small.

1. What is an electronic speed control (ESC)?

An electronic speed control (ESC) is a device used to regulate the speed of an electric motor in a variety of applications, such as drones, RC cars, and electric bikes. It works by adjusting the amount of power supplied to the motor, thus controlling its speed.

2. How does an ESC work?

An ESC works by receiving signals from a controller, such as a remote control or a throttle, and converting them into electrical signals that control the motor's speed. It does this by switching the flow of electricity on and off rapidly, which creates a smooth and continuous flow of power to the motor.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing an ESC?

When choosing an ESC, you should consider factors such as the motor's voltage and current requirements, the type of motor (brushed or brushless), the size and weight of your vehicle, and the type of application you will be using it for. It's important to choose an ESC that can handle the power demands of your motor and is compatible with your specific setup.

4. How do I calibrate an ESC?

To calibrate an ESC, you will need to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Typically, the process involves connecting the ESC to a power source, powering on the controller, and then following a series of steps to calibrate the ESC's throttle range. This ensures that the ESC and controller are communicating properly and that the motor will respond accurately to your inputs.

5. What are the benefits of using an ESC?

An ESC offers several benefits, including precise speed control, smoother acceleration and braking, improved motor efficiency, and protection against motor overheating. It also allows for more control over the vehicle's speed and can help extend the lifespan of the motor by preventing it from running at high speeds for extended periods of time.