Finding an unknown resistance in an Electric Circuit

You know that V2 is 110V, and you know that R1 = 2000 ohms. So you just have to write Req,series and Req,parallel in terms of R1 and the missing resistance, R2.In summary, when two resistors are connected in series to a 110-V line, they use one-fourth the power compared to when they are connected in parallel. Using the equations for total resistance in series and parallel, and the formula for power, we can find the resistance of the second resistor (R2) by setting the two power equations equal to each other and solving for R2. By setting the power ratio to 1/4, we can simplify the equations and solve
mlostrac

Homework Statement

When connected in series to a 110-V line, two resistors use one-fourth the power
that is used when they are connected in parallel. If one resistor is
2.0 kΩ, what is the resistance of the other?

Homework Equations

1/Rt = 1/R1 +1/R2 (total resistance in parallel)
Rt = R1 + R2 (resistance in series)

Power = Current x Voltage

The Attempt at a Solution

So far my attempts have fizzled, ending with negative numbers.

Heres what I did:
1) Set the two hypothetical circuits (series and parallel) equal to each other by isolating the power:

P1 = 110^2/0.25(R1+R2)
P2 = 110^2(R1+R2)

And then isolating for R2 and solving (since we have R1 = 2000 ohms)

I ended up doing the quadratic equation and getting two negative numbers...

Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mlostrac said:
P1 = 110^2/0.25(R1+R2)
Can you show why it this true?
P2 = 110^2(R1+R2)
The term R1+R2 must be in the denominator.

Anyway, I suggest that you work this symbolically. Find expressions

Pseries = V2/Req,series
Pparallel = V2/Req,parallel
then take the ratio and say
Pseries/Pparallel = 1/4.

Likes AUAO1

1. How do I find the unknown resistance in an electric circuit?

To find the unknown resistance in an electric circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. Measure the voltage across the circuit and the current flowing through it, and then use the formula to solve for the resistance.

2. What tools do I need to find the unknown resistance in an electric circuit?

You will need a voltmeter to measure the voltage and an ammeter to measure the current. You may also need a calculator to do the necessary calculations.

3. Can I use a multimeter to find the unknown resistance in an electric circuit?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure both voltage and current, making it a useful tool for finding the unknown resistance in an electric circuit.

4. What is the importance of finding the unknown resistance in an electric circuit?

Finding the unknown resistance in an electric circuit is important for understanding the behavior of the circuit and ensuring that it is functioning properly. It can also help in troubleshooting and identifying any issues with the circuit.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the unknown resistance in an electric circuit?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a Wheatstone bridge or Kirchhoff's laws. However, using Ohm's Law is the most common and straightforward method for finding the unknown resistance in an electric circuit.