The wave form of a sinusoidal current passing through a circuit?

They are a way of representing sinusoidal signals using complex numbers. By thinking in terms of phasors, you can solve this problem pretty easily.In summary, the problem is asking for expressions for V_C and V_L in terms of the frequency (w) and voltage (I_0), as well as a sketch of the waveforms for I, V_C, and V_L. It also mentions using the fact that V_C and V_L are equal at the resonant frequency (w_0) to obtain an expression involving w_0. Using phasor analysis, you can easily solve this problem.
dazza555
Assume a sinusoidal current I = I0sinωt passes through the circuit of:

[PLAIN]http://a.yfrog.com/img52/9062/image2c1.jpg

Obtain expressions for VC and VL in terms of ω and I0. Sketch the waveform for I, VC and VL, to show the phase relationship between these three variables. (Show about 1.5 periods; relative size of the amplitudes are not important here.)

Also use the fact that the magnitude of the voltages VC and VL are equal at the resonant frequency in order to obtain the expression involving ω0 shown as in the Equation: Lw0=1/Cw0

Ok, I've read the question but don't know exactly what its asking me to do, I know I need to draw a wave function but other than that I'm stumped. Can someone explain this question to me in dumbed down terms so I can have a crack at it? Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like the problem wants you to find equations for the voltage across the capacitor (V_C), and inductor (V_L) in terms of the frequency and voltage.

Do you know what phasors are?

1. What is a sinusoidal current?

A sinusoidal current is a type of alternating current that has a smooth waveform resembling a sine wave. It is commonly used in electrical circuits for power transmission and distribution.

2. How is the wave form of a sinusoidal current generated?

The wave form of a sinusoidal current is generated by the rotation of a coil in a magnetic field, which creates an alternating flow of electrons in a circuit.

3. What is the frequency of a sinusoidal current?

The frequency of a sinusoidal current is the number of complete cycles it completes in one second, and is measured in Hertz (Hz). In most electrical systems, the frequency of a sinusoidal current is 60 Hz.

4. What is the peak value of a sinusoidal current?

The peak value of a sinusoidal current is the maximum value it reaches during one cycle. This value is important for determining the voltage and power in a circuit.

5. How is a sinusoidal current different from other types of current?

A sinusoidal current is different from other types of current, such as direct current, because it constantly changes direction and magnitude. This makes it more efficient for power transmission over long distances.