Find Magnetic Field of Infinitely Long Line Current

In summary: The direction is counterclockwise in y-z plane and in x-y plane the direction is in both +z and -y direction.
musiliu

Homework Statement

4c540fa7-f0a0-413d-8aab-933cc43514d3.png

Homework Equations

B = u0 I / 2 pi r (perpendicular)

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a simple plug in values equation, but the 3-dimensions is confusing me, and I can't figure out what the value of r(perpendicular) should be, and what the direction should be..

I can't seem to draw the r(perpendicular) to the line current..since it's 3d, if i try to make it perpendicular i end up with a point above the x-axis and i don't think the line current is in the z plane..

Need help please, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to draw it on a piece of paper...you will see that because the infinite line is along the x-axis, the distance from the line aka the distance from the x-axis doesn't depend on x at all. Only y and z. Then you can see that if you move up 1 in the y direction and 1 in the z direction you have a right triangle with sides 1 and 1 whose hypotenuse is r = sqrt(2). Using this value you can calculate the magnitude and the direction is given by the right hand rule

oh...i always thought r(perpendicular) meant draw a line connecting the current to the point of interest and angle was always 90 degrees, i didn't know i could do that for r
edit: i don't understand how r= sqrt(2) can be perpendicular to the line current.. r seems like a diagonal line ..

for the right hand rule, i could never do it right...i don't know how to position my hand according to the current..which direction do i curl my fingers?
is the direction in the positive z direction?

Last edited:
ok, i understand the r perpendicular value now, but can someone explain in detail what they do to find the direction using right hand rule?

is the direction counterclockwise in y-z plane and in x-y plane the direction is in both +z and -y direction?

musiliu said:
ok, i understand the r perpendicular value now, but can someone explain in detail what they do to find the direction using right hand rule?

is the direction counterclockwise in y-z plane and in x-y plane the direction is in both +z and -y direction?

You know the magnetic fields go either clockwise or counterclockwise around the wire. To find the direction, imagine the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current, then your fingers will curl in only one direction and that is the direction of the magnetic field.

And btw, http://tinyurl.com/2u9glqh" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, but what would you say is the direction for this problem? I'm supposed to find the direction at that point (1,1,1).. so i don't think I'm just supposed to put the entire direction of the magnetic field.. is the direction at that point in the +z and -y direction?

1. What is an infinitely long line current?

An infinitely long line current is a hypothetical concept used in physics to simplify calculations involving electrical currents. It is a straight, infinitely long wire with a constant current flowing through it.

2. How is the magnetic field of an infinitely long line current calculated?

The magnetic field of an infinitely long line current is calculated using the formula B = (μ0 * I) / (2π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around an infinitely long line current?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the wire and follows a circular path around it. The direction can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the fingers point in the direction of the current and the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field of an infinitely long line current change with distance?

The magnetic field of an infinitely long line current decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This relationship is inversely proportional, meaning that the field strength decreases as the distance increases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the magnetic field of an infinitely long line current?

The unit of measurement for the magnetic field is tesla (T) or gauss (G). 1 T is equal to 10,000 G. In some cases, the unit of measurement may also be given in ampere per meter (A/m).