Finding z(t): Help Needed!

• Thread starter henryc09
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a force and acceleration dependent on position z. The individual was able to find velocity as a function of position using a specific equation. However, they are now struggling to find z(t) and are seeking help.
henryc09

Homework Statement

I have a problem where I have a force and therefore acceleration which depends on position, z. Using z'' = dv/dt = dv/dy * dy/dt = v*dv/dy I was able to find velocity as a function of position.

It nows asks for z(t). I'm having a bit of a mental block here and don't know how to go about finding this. Any help would be appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

henryc09 said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem where I have a force and therefore acceleration which depends on position, z. Using z'' = dv/dt = dv/dy * dy/dt = v*dv/dy I was able to find velocity as a function of position.
I'm confused by your choice of variables in this problem. The usual variables that are used in problems of this type are s for position, v for velocity, and a for acceleration, where v = ds/dt, and a = dv/dt = d2s/dt2.

What does y represent in your problem?
henryc09 said:
It nows asks for z(t). I'm having a bit of a mental block here and don't know how to go about finding this. Any help would be appreciated!

sorry I messed that up, wherever I put y I meant z.

so i found v(z)

What do you have for v(z)? The usual thing to do with velocity to find position is to integrate, but for that you would need to integrate with respect to time, and v would have to be a function of t.

What is "Finding z(t)"?

"Finding z(t)" is a mathematical problem that involves determining the value of a function at a specific time t.

Why is help needed for this problem?

This problem can be complex and challenging, and it may require knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. Seeking help can provide additional guidance and support in solving the problem.

What are some common methods for finding z(t)?

Some common methods for finding z(t) include using differential equations, numerical methods, and Fourier analysis. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the available resources.

What are the potential applications of solving this problem?

Finding z(t) can have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of dynamic systems.

What resources are available for help with "Finding z(t)"?

There are many online and offline resources available for help with "Finding z(t)". These include textbooks, online tutorials, forums, and consulting with experts in the field.