Dr. Leonnard Susskind Lectures

• Thread starter p75213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lectures
In summary, the Quantum Mechanics lecture series by Dr. Leonnard Susskind is available on dvd. You can find them on YouTube, iTunes U, and at Dr. Susskind's website.
p75213
Is the Quantum Mechanics lecture series by Dr. Leonnard Susskind available on dvd?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t know. But I do know where you can find them:

(And yes, it’s possible to download videos from YouTube, but I’m not going to tell you how... :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are also on iTunes U. Very easy to download from there.

if its not ilegal... you can use ant downloder

can download anything

EDIT:

Here’s everything you need, including links to both iTunes & YouTube (better then my first links), plus two new courses; Cosmology & Statistical Mechanics:

http://www.openculture.com/2008/07/susskindlecture.html" [Broken]

Enjoy!

Thanks for that. However I was hoping they were available on DVD as I am on a wireless connection with a monthly quota of 6GB. I may have to purchase an extra couple of gig prepaid to download the series.

Some of you already know this, but the "Special Relativity" course covers a lot of classical field theory, not just what one typically thinks of as "special relativity".

p75213 said:
Thanks for that. However I was hoping they were available on DVD as I am on a wireless connection with a monthly quota of 6GB. I may have to purchase an extra couple of gig prepaid to download the series.

Okay, that could be a problem... I haven’t downloaded any of the lectures, so I can’t tell you the size of the 8 full courses. I did a rough approximation though, built on the 'assumption' that an 1 hr 640x360 video takes approx 340 MB, and the Susskind videos has resolution 480x360 = 75% ≈ 255 MB/hr

(This is of course a little 'vague', because the final video size depends on compression and bitrate.)

All 8 courses sum up to 126 hrs, giving: 126 x 255 MB ≈ 31 GB ≈ 7 DVD’s

That’s going to be tough on wireless 6 GB quota...

On the other hand... who consumes 126 hrs of highly skilled physics lectures in one month...?? Einstein!? :smile:

Why don’t you download this over a period of 5-6 months? I guess you will be fully occupied by the lectures during this time...

P.S. The YouTube-link to the Cosmology course is not the same as the rest. This will take you the same layout:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=888811AA667C942F

@Daverz: Thanks for info.

p75213 said:

No WiFi connection with your computer/device? I've downloaded and watched individual parts of these lectures from coffee shops using WiFi plenty of times.

Wireless <> WiFi ?:bugeye:?

Well... if we are talking 3G it’s going to take 24 hrs x 7 or something like that to download 31 GB... not counting error rate...

Seriously, coffee shops and other Hotspots look like a brilliant idea. Or, why not visiting a friend with cable Internet access? With 100 Mbit/s downstream 31 GB can be downloaded in 40 min...

p75213 said:

Can you go to a coffee shop or some other place that offers free internet and download the who lot, drink some coffee while you are at it?

I have watched them through iTune U, very generous of Stanford to put them on the web and for Apple to give them away for free.

Thanks HossamCFD!

You're most welcome :smile:

I believe more courses will be uploaded in the near future. Possibly going all the way to string theory.

I've found most of Dr. Leonard Susskind's lectures are on youtube under Stanford's channel. They are absolutely amazing. I'm so happy Stanford and MIT post these lectures. I'd look into Walter Lewin if you liked the way Susskind taught.

I extracted the audio and put them on my iPhone. I've listened to them all many times that way during my commute. I've also listened to all the Feynman Lectures as well as Sidney Coleman's QFT course that way. I love it and am never bored anymore.

This is pretty cool, indeed. Very useful and entertaining. However, I would like to know if it's possible to find coursework, like homework, (with or without solutions) exam papers, lecture notes, etc that accompany these lectures. Anyone know?

arestes said:
This is pretty cool, indeed. Very useful and entertaining. However, I would like to know if it's possible to find coursework, like homework, (with or without solutions) exam papers, lecture notes, etc that accompany these lectures. Anyone know?

Not with Susskind's lectures. These courses are not regular undergrad or postgrad courses, they are Stanford's continuing education program. So, things are different.

However, you will find plenty of lectures notes, exams, and problems in the MIT open course ware.

arestes said:
I would like to know if it's possible to find coursework, like homework, (with or without solutions) exam papers, lecture notes, etc that accompany these lectures. Anyone know?
I found http://web.mac.com/clinton_lewis/Welkin_Sky/Susskind_Lectures_List.html [Broken].

Thanks Hossamcfd and matonski. Apparently I will have to complement it with some other authors... in the end it's better to have another point of view I guess... :D .
does any of you have suggestions as to what could be perfect complements for his lectures in classical physics and quantum mechanics?

arestes said:
Thanks Hossamcfd and matonski. Apparently I will have to complement it with some other authors... in the end it's better to have another point of view I guess... :D .
does any of you have suggestions as to what could be perfect complements for his lectures in classical physics and quantum mechanics?

Its about 5 years late for this answer, but for other people searching: I'm working my way through Susskind's lectures on QM referenced in this thread. I also got his book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20
The two mirror each other pretty well, and you can walk through the math on paper. Its probably the closest you'll find to the "homework" he references in the lectures, which I haven't been able to find.

What are Dr. Leonard Susskind Lectures?

Dr. Leonard Susskind Lectures are a series of online lectures given by theoretical physicist Dr. Leonard Susskind. These lectures cover a wide range of topics in physics, including quantum mechanics, string theory, and cosmology.

Who is Dr. Leonard Susskind?

Dr. Leonard Susskind is a renowned theoretical physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is known for his contributions to string theory, quantum field theory, and black hole physics. He is also the author of several popular science books and has been named one of the 50 most influential physicists in the world.

Are Dr. Leonard Susskind Lectures suitable for non-scientists?

While the lectures may touch on complex topics, they are designed to be accessible to anyone with a basic understanding of physics. Dr. Susskind often uses analogies and real-life examples to explain concepts in an easy-to-understand manner. However, some background knowledge in physics may be helpful for a better understanding.

Can I watch Dr. Leonard Susskind Lectures for free?

Yes, the lectures are available for free on various online platforms, such as YouTube and Stanford's website. However, some courses may require enrollment and payment for a certificate of completion.

Can I use Dr. Leonard Susskind Lectures as a learning resource for my studies?

Yes, many students and researchers use these lectures as a supplement to their studies. However, it is always best to consult with your teacher or advisor to ensure that the lectures cover the topics you need for your specific studies.