Answer: Who Said "I am for both the Man and Dollar"?

• News
  • Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses a quote from Abraham Lincoln regarding the creed of liberalism in American Government. The quote states that when in conflict, Democrats prioritize the right of property over the liberty of one man, while Republicans prioritize both the man and the dollar, with the man taking precedence. The source of this quote is uncertain, but it may have originated from Lincoln's campaign site.
Soaring Crane
Who said this quote??

I'm taking American Government, and this week's topic focuses on political parties (doctrines). On the subject of liberalism, a quote was introduced for the credo of liberalism. "I am for both the man and dollar, but in case of conflict I am for the man." Who was the person that stated this? (If you don't know who, where can I find the answer? I tried an internet search but that was in vain.)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure this is exactly it, but according to this site (Looks like Alan Keyes' campaign site)
http://www.renewamerica.us/readings/lincoln.htm [Broken]
Abe Lincoln wrote:
The democracy of today hold the liberty of one man to be absolutely nothing, when in conflict with another man's right of property. Republicans, on the contrary, are for both the man and the dollar; but in cases of conflict, the man before the dollar.

This might be a place to start...

Last edited by a moderator:

Unfortunately, I am not able to provide a specific answer to this question as there are multiple individuals who have been attributed to saying this quote. Some sources attribute it to former US President Theodore Roosevelt, while others attribute it to former US President Woodrow Wilson. It is also possible that it was said by someone else entirely. The best way to find a more definitive answer would be to consult primary sources or reputable historical texts.

1. Who is the person that said "I am for both the Man and Dollar"?

The person who said this phrase is Henry Ford, the founder of the Ford Motor Company.

2. What is the context of this quote?

This quote was said by Henry Ford in a speech he gave in 1916, where he expressed his belief that businesses should prioritize both the well-being of their workers and the profitability of the company.

3. Why did Henry Ford say this phrase?

Henry Ford believed that taking care of his workers and ensuring their success was crucial for the success of his company. He wanted to create a mutually beneficial relationship between the workers and the company.

4. How does this quote reflect Henry Ford's philosophy?

This quote reflects Henry Ford's belief in the importance of balance and harmony between the needs of the workers and the needs of the company. He believed that both were necessary for the success and growth of the business.

5. Is this quote still relevant today?

Many people still find this quote relevant today, as it highlights the importance of considering both the human and economic aspects of a business. It serves as a reminder to maintain a balance between the two for long-term success.