Understanding the Ratio of r Motion to Revolution Periods - Clarification Needed

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the sentence means that if the ratio of the period of the r motion to the period of revolution is an integer, then the orbit is a simple closed curved.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi.

When you say "The ratio of the period of the r motion to the period of revolution", does it mean

[tex]\frac{T_r}{T_\theta}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{T_\theta}{T_r}[/tex]

?

Judging by the words, I would say it's the first one, but I have many mathmatical reasons to think it it's the second one. I would like a confirmation that it means the second one. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it this way. Take the general statement "the ratio of a to b is x:y". This means [itex]a:b=x:y[/itex], so [itex]\frac{a}{b}=\frac{x}{y}[/itex]. This makes sense. Say the ratio is 4. You can convert this to ratio form: [itex]4:1[/itex]. If [itex]a:b[/itex] is [itex]4:1[/itex], then if [itex]b=1[/itex], [itex]a=4[/itex], and if [itex]b=2[/itex], [itex]a=8[/itex], and so on...meaning that in general [itex]a=4b[/itex], so [itex]\frac{a}{b}=\frac{4}{1}[/itex]. Hope this is clear.

Then there's an error in the book!

Simple question of physics

Given that the above sentence means in fact

[tex]\frac{T_r}{T_\theta}[/tex]

Does the following sentence make sense (in the context of a particle moving under a central (radial) force with angular momentum non nul)

"If the ratio of the period of the r motion to the period of revolution is an integer, the orbit is a simple closed curved."

Consider the following simple counter exemple:

[tex]\frac{T_r}{T_\theta}=2 \Leftrightarrow T_r=2T_\theta \ (1:2)[/tex]

Meaning after the particle has covered 4 pi rad around the center of force, the radial oscillation has completed one period. How can that make for a simple closed curve? There will necessarily be an intersection. Whereas if it means the opposite,

[tex]\frac{T_\theta}{T_r}=2[/tex]

the curve is closed and much simpler has it does not intersect with itself.

So is it me or there's an error in the book?

1. What is the definition of vocabulary?

Vocabulary refers to the set of words that a person knows and understands. It includes both the words a person can use in their own language and the words they can recognize and understand in another language.

2. How can I improve my vocabulary?

There are many ways to improve your vocabulary, such as reading books, using flashcards, and practicing with vocabulary-building exercises. It is also helpful to regularly use new words in conversation and writing to solidify their meaning and usage.

3. Is having a large vocabulary important?

Having a large vocabulary can greatly benefit a person in both their personal and professional life. It can improve communication skills, comprehension, critical thinking, and overall intelligence.

4. What is the difference between active and passive vocabulary?

Active vocabulary refers to the words that a person can use and understand in their own language. Passive vocabulary refers to the words that a person can recognize and understand in another language but may not be able to use in their own language.

5. Are there any tips for remembering new vocabulary words?

One helpful tip for remembering new vocabulary words is to use them in context, rather than just memorizing definitions. It can also be useful to create associations or connections with the word, such as using a mnemonic device or relating it to a personal experience.