College Students and the Facebook: A Growing Trend

In summary: Facebook anymore. It's possible he's just forgotten his login information.In summary, at my school this network has been getting very popular. I've been on for a long time, let's get a PF facebook network going. Anyone who is on facebook search me and and invite me as a friend. I've been on it for a while, but (last time I looked!) there were only a few UK Universities on it, so I only have about 4 friends!brew did you invite me?I sent you an invite Greg.What does this do?What does this do?Oh nevermind, I risked clicking on it (I'm at work).What does
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
For those in college, how many of you have posted a profile on www.thefacebook.com ? At my school this network has been getting very popular.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been on for a long time, let's get a PF facebook network going. Anyone who is on facebook search me and and invite me as a friend.

I've been on it for a while, but (last time I looked!) there were only a few UK Universities on it, so I only have about 4 friends!

I will when I can work out what my username and password are!

I got an invite from SpaceTiger!

I sent you an invite Greg.

What does this do?

Evo said:
What does this do?
Oh nevermind, I risked clicking on it (I'm at work).

What does this do?

Sorry dear, no old people allowed. :biggrin:

(seriously though, you need a .edu email to be able to get into face book.)

gravenewworld said:
:grumpy:

You'll regret that. :devil:

gravenewworld said:
(seriously though, you need a .edu email to be able to get into face book.)

Old people are allowed, as long as they are a professor or employee of some university. Of course, I don't know too many professors who would get on Facebook...:)

Yep. I'll be joining Facebook when I get my university e-mail address.

i'm on it... if you really want to friend me I'm space tigers only (i think) umass friend. and apparently he's dduardo's friens now, who's now greg's friend too. so start with greg and you'll eventually get to me...

Last edited:
Oooo I can't wait to befriend Gale!

z-component said:
Oooo I can't wait to befriend Gale!

why?? thrill of the chase? maybe i should make it take longer to find me.. hehe.

Ahem... :)

You know, I could get on here as one of my daughters and track you down. :mad:

It says that it supports the college I work at but it won't accept my e-mail adress for some reason.

Does it end purely in @yourschool.edu? It may not register you as being part of the school if it's like @staff.yourschool.edu or something.

TheStatutoryApe said:
It says that it supports the college I work at but it won't accept my e-mail adress for some reason.
Can it distinguish between student and faculty/staff addresses? Some universities have different servers for student accounts with different domain names that'll give it away who is student vs non-student.

Evo said:
You know, I could get on here as one of my daughters and track you down. :mad:
Evo's still upset about the your little comment, gravenewworld... :uhh:

It's ok, Evo. You're not old! :approve: Why would you want to be a Facebook member anyway? Too many crazy college kids... I can't wait!

Moonbear said:
Can it distinguish between student and faculty/staff addresses? Some universities have different servers for student accounts with different domain names that'll give it away who is student vs non-student.
From the looks of it, it cannot. Although technically I do have an email@student.CollegeName.edu email, I registered without the .student part and it works fine.

A bunch of my friends pestered me into joining and since then, have pretty much ignored me on it. Although I have found people on there who I haven't seen for many many years.

z-component said:
Evo's still upset about the your little comment, gravenewworld... :uhh:
It's ok, Evo. You're not old! :approve: Why would you want to be a Facebook member anyway? Too many crazy college kids... I can't wait!
That's ok, I belong to the oldgeezers.com network. Those of us that have controlable arthritis and can still type are a really fun group! :frown:

hey guys,
this is my first post in about a year :s
but yes i have just registered on face book,
so who wants a friend hahaha

Moonbear said:
It allows both student and staff accounts. It even asks if you are student, alumni, undergrad, faculty, staff, ect..
It may be a different domain though since I put in the school name without "college" after it (which my adress includes "college") and it took it. Ofcourse I won't get the confirmation e-mail because the adress isn't right. I can submit it to be added though I think.

you're all mean

funker said:
you're all mean

give people some time to reply. i already said the method one can take to add me...

I don't really use it for much, but I sent you a request, Greg. I'm Adam Acosta.

Gale said:
give people some time to reply. i already said the method one can take to add me...

That requires us to know SpaceTiger's real name though, and he might not even really exist!

franznietzsche said:
That requires us to know SpaceTiger's real name though, and he might not even really exist!

It's also worth nothing that one cannot view the profile of someone from another school unless one is that person's friend. So saying you're listed as Greg's only friend from UMass isn't going to help anybody find you unless they're already Greg's friend.

loseyourname said:
It's also worth nothing that one cannot view the profile of someone from another school unless one is that person's friend. So saying you're listed as Greg's only friend from UMass isn't going to help anybody find you unless they're already Greg's friend.
Yeah that too.

Aha, i found SpaceTiger, by hunting through Greg's friends and maching the pictures with his avatar. And he thought he could hide.

So when is this PF group going to be set up? Can you even have cross university groups?

Last edited:
My information is available on my website.

Evo said:
That's ok, I belong to the oldgeezers.com network. Those of us that have controlable arthritis and can still type are a really fun group! :frown:
I'm a facebook member. Of course, I've only logged on like twice, and I haven't posted a picture or any info. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm a facebook member. Of course, I've only logged on like twice, and I haven't posted a picture or any info. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
Yeah last year a friend was pestering me to get on it and I didn't see the big deal. But after using it a lot and getting back in touch with old high school and junior high friends I'm a little addicted now.

loseyourname said:

i was very aware of that. cept i said i was spacetiger's on umass friend. i don't know if I'm greg's only friend. well i could check now, but meh. I'm surprised that despite the difficulty I've had so many adds already. hm.