Undergrad Degree in Optics: B.S. in Physics or Optical Engineering?

In summary: I'm definitely going to check this out!In summary, either getting a B.S. in Physics and then a M.S. in Optics, or getting a B.S. in Optical Engineering and then a M.S. in Optics would both be fine. The more interesting you become in physics, the more interested you'll become in optoelectronics and other optical technologies.
Galgenstrick
Would it be better to get a B.S. in physics then a M.S. in Optics? or would it be better to get a B.S. in Optical Engineering and then a M.S. in Optics?

Either way I want to get a Masters in Optics, I just want to know if it would be a disadvantage to have a B.S. and M.S. both in optics.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to do with your degrees?

Right now I am a technician working with thin-film optics. I plan on doing something along these lines, other options would be laser engineering or spectroscopy or imaging technology. I love working on optical tables, I have experience with laser cooling, interferometry etc.

I also plan to specialize in optics (for the PhD at least), but I opted to do a physics undergrad just in case I changed my mind. The more I learn about physics and such, the more I become interested in different things.

QuarkCharmer said:
I also plan to specialize in optics (for the PhD at least), but I opted to do a physics undergrad just in case I changed my mind. The more I learn about physics and such, the more I become interested in different things.

This is definitely true. There are so many cool things with physics. I am going to ask a couple of the optics PhDs at my work, and see what they think, they all did physics as undergraduate, however, 20 years ago there weren't as many specialization degrees available.

My university has a physics degree with a specialization in Optics and Photonics. Perhaps you have something similar.

It's basically this:
4.3. Optics and Lasers Specialization 18 hrs
PHY 4424 Optics 3 hrs
Select 2: 6 hrs
EEL 4440 Optical Engineering or 3 hrs
OSE 5203 Geometrical Optics and Imaging Systems or 3 hrs
OSE 5312 Light Matter Interaction or 3 hrs
OSE 5414 Fundamentals of Optoelectronic Devices or 3 hrs
PHY 4445 Lasers 3 hrs

Last edited:
QuarkCharmer said:
My university has a physics degree with a specialization in Optics and Photonics. Perhaps you have something similar.

It's basically this:
4.3. Optics and Lasers Specialization 18 hrs
PHY 4424 Optics 3 hrs
Select 2: 6 hrs
EEL 4440 Optical Engineering or 3 hrs
OSE 5203 Geometrical Optics and Imaging Systems or 3 hrs
OSE 5312 Light Matter Interaction or 3 hrs
OSE 5414 Fundamentals of Optoelectronic Devices or 3 hrs
PHY 4445 Lasers 3 hrs

Which university is this? I am willing to transfer out of state / country

The University of Central Florida. They have a mediocre "big state school" undergrad program, but their (grad) College of Optics and Photonics (which this specialization is catered to) is one of the best.

http://www.creol.ucf.edu/

The listing of optics based grad courses (you can take as an undergrad) is astounding.

1. Which undergraduate degree is the most versatile?

This is a common question among students who want a degree that will open up a wide range of job opportunities. In general, degrees in fields such as business, computer science, and engineering are considered to be the most versatile. However, it ultimately depends on your own interests and career goals.

2. What degree should I choose if I want to go to medical school?

If your goal is to attend medical school, it is recommended to major in a science-related field such as biology, chemistry, or biochemistry. These degrees provide the necessary coursework and background knowledge for medical school admissions.

3. Is it better to choose a specialized or general undergraduate degree?

This is a personal preference, as both types of degrees have their own advantages. A specialized degree provides in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific field, while a general degree offers a broader education and allows for more flexibility in career paths.

4. Which undergraduate degree has the highest earning potential?

Earning potential can vary greatly depending on your field, job market, and individual performance. However, degrees in fields such as engineering, computer science, and business tend to have higher earning potential than other fields.

5. Can I change my undergraduate degree after starting college?

Yes, it is possible to change your undergraduate degree after starting college. However, it may require additional coursework and could potentially delay your graduation. It is important to carefully consider your options and speak with a academic advisor before making the decision to change your degree.