Coffee How much coffee do you drink?

• Thread starter thegreenlaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: I got pregnant and stopped drinking coffee. Now I can drink as much coffee as I want and it doesn't put me to sleep anymore, but it does make me irritable.

How much coffee do you drink?

• None

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • A cup or two, occasionally

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • 1-2 cups per day

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • 3-5 cups per day

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • 6-10 cups per day

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 10+ cups per day

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
thegreenlaser
I'm just curious as to how many people here drink coffee and if so, how much. (I consider a 'cup' to be your average mug, or like an average large/extra large coffee at a coffee shop. It's a very rough measurement.) I know coffee is very prominent among science/math majors (I've noticed that a lot of my profs have coffee machines in their offices) It's my theory that if coffee were to somehow disappear off the face of the earth, the scientific community in North America would collapse. :)

Personally, I started drinking coffee last summer, when I was working in a restaurant that tends to focus on the breakfast/lunch crowd. Employees get as much free coffee as they want, so I started drinking it, and got to really like it (drinking it black, I can't even really stand cream or sugar anymore). Then I went off to first year university and didn't even stand a chance with the amount of sleep I started getting. I've so far managed to keep myself down to 2 cups a day, except during finals or after big pushes where I might drink three, but who knows... I've got quite a long time in school left to get super-addicted.

How about you? Are you an avid coffee drinker, or do you hate the stuff?

*Note* Since I don't know how to change a poll, the first option is for non-coffee drinkers. The second one is for people who drink coffee, but not regularly/daily.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What is a difference between "Almost none" and "A cup or two, occasionally"?

I'm a shift worker, so I basically live on coffee. When I'm working I'll always have 2-4 12 oz cups per 12 hour shift. It's Folgers, but it's free. I stayed away from it for the first year or so, but I still consumed caffeine. About three years ago I gave up and have been drinking it ever since.

When I'm at home I like to drink a cup in the morning. There are some good local roasters that I buy from and grind my own beans, so this is coffee that I actually enjoy. When I was at school for 12 hours, I'd drink a cup in the morning and at least one in the afternoon.

Borek said:
What is a difference between "Almost none" and "A cup or two, occasionally"?

I guess that's a little ambiguous. I'll change it.

Edit: I'm not really sure how to change a poll, if I even can. Anyway, the first option is for non-coffee drinkers: People who've maybe tried it once or twice but hated it. The second one is for people who drink coffee, just not regularly/daily.

I drink 2 cups of the old small size (6 oz), but I only fill the small cup 2/3rds full.

Always loved the smell, but coffee disagrees with me, been that way my whole life, try it from time to time just to be sure nothing has changed, so far, same result.

Rhody... :grumpy:

thegreenlaser said:
It's my theory that if coffee were to somehow disappear off the face of the earth, the scientific community in North America would collapse. :)

http://www.mymusicbase.ru/PPB/ppb25/Bio_2513.htm

Hmmm, only the scientific community? Not all western civilization? That's disappointing. I always thought Osama should have targeted the Starbucks supply chain.

Last edited by a moderator:

I voted for almost none. I used to drink a cup in the morning before heading off to work, but I found that it kept me awake all day.

Evo said:
I drink 2 cups of the old small size (6 oz), but I only fill the small cup 2/3rds full.

Same here for the amount of coffee but with the rest of the cup full of sugar and creamer. I'm not a fan of deserts or any other kind of "sweets", but in the morning, the coffee speeds the sugar into me which opens my eyes better than the coffee does.

I make a 4-demitasse pot of espresso every morning and pour it into my mug. That's about it for coffee for me during the day, unless I'm visiting my neighbor who loves his K-cup machine. He keeps decent K-cups (not the flavored stuff) around for me, so I can have a black coffee when I visit.

I think like with everything else, my coffee habit is sporadic, so I voted 1-2 cups a day to average it out. Some days I will have tea, some days one cup, and others (particularly when I have to stay awake to study) as much as 3-4 along with energy drinks if I am staying awake for more than one day. Coffee puts me to sleep somtimes tho so I have to be careful. It used to put me to sleep all the time, especially Cuban coffee.

I used to be able to drink it any time, even before bed, and the effect was minimal. Now any that I drink past noon will keep me awake at night. I'm at 2 cups a day now.

I'd like to have a cup of coffee sometimes, but I really hate it when I start to smell like coffee after an hour of having one, and it last for a day! :yuck:

6-10. let's say 8. a lot.

Maybe I'll start a poll titled Beer! How much beer do you drink? :biggrin:

I drink coffee constantly and have since I was about ten.

I don't hate coffee, but I drink less than one cup of (non-ice) coffee per year. Right now I am considering whether or not to have my fifth cup of tea of the day.

dlgoff said:
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Jimmy Snyder said:
And equal amounts of each, if you can't decide. Got to be fair...

i used to drink constantly all the time while studying (big cups ~750 ml). fortunatelly, not any more.

now I drink tea instead

One cup in the morning before leaving for work, and I take with me a 16oz Thermos.

I used to drink 1 cup of milk+coffee when I could wake up before noon. Now I simply eat dinner instead. If I can wake up before noon I'd drink coffee so I chose "a cup or two, occasionally".

This reminds me of what happened last night. I drunk so much coffee last night I was shivering and had to go to bed...Damn stay away from that stuff.

But coffee does help me concentrate for a little while then it just makes me tired. I don't see the value of it. I was to get off it because I think I'm slightly addicted :P But now is not the time to do anything it's exam season...talking of which break over.

Ivan Seeking said:
Pretty same here, since I was about 12 or 13.

Using the standard volume of 8 oz = 236.6 ml per cup, I'm in the 10+ cup range. My 'cups' hold about 20 oz (2.5 cups), and some about 24 oz (3 cups - they are for soup). I'll drink about 4 of those in the morning, and perhaps 2 to 4 in the afternoon. So about 10-20 cups (2 to 5 l) per day depending.

Monster92 said:
This reminds me of what happened last night. I drunk so much coffee last night I was shivering and had to go to bed...Damn stay away from that stuff.

But coffee does help me concentrate for a little while then it just makes me tired. I don't see the value of it. I was to get off it because I think I'm slightly addicted :P But now is not the time to do anything it's exam season...talking of which break over.
yeah exam season -_- I will have to stay awake all night tonight probably...*prepares a pot of coffee* got to get started early :biggrin:

I drink a couple a day.

It's interesting how opinions change about this over time. Years ago one would hear of the perils of drinking coffeee.

The latest however, is that coffee is very good for you - full of antioxidants, etc.

HeLiXe said:
yeah exam season -_- I will have to stay awake all night tonight probably...*prepares a pot of coffee* got to get started early :biggrin:

Staying up all night? In that case you better load the fridge with energy drinks.

Monster92 said:
Staying up all night? In that case you better load the fridge with energy drinks.

I do both -_-

alt said:
I drink a couple a day.

It's interesting how opinions change about this over time. Years ago one would hear of the perils of drinking coffeee.

The latest however, is that coffee is very good for you - full of antioxidants, etc.
Agreed :D

I don't drink coffee. I can't stand the taste. Tastes like chalk.

Jack21222 said:
I don't drink coffee. I can't stand the taste. Tastes like chalk.

Then your coffee isn't unhealthy enough.

I drink a coffee in mornings when I have a test or more and I don't have enough sleep.

dlgoff said:

Why choose? I seem to recall there being a brief craze a few years back with caffeinated beer--your upper and downer together in one bottle!

Ivan Seeking said:

Ditto (started around 12-13), but this has tapered off a little these days due to some sleeping difficulties I've been having.

Jimmy Snyder said:
or two threes.

MATLABdude said:
Why choose? I seem to recall there being a brief craze a few years back with caffeinated beer--your upper and downer together in one bottle!

Dang. I must have missed that. Now days you can mix your own...Redbull &

Ditto (started around 12-13), but this has tapered off a little these days due to some sleeping difficulties I've been having.

Sounds to me like you need some plain old beer. :wink:

Diet Dr. Pepper is my coffee. It's probably just as bad for me if not worse. I probably drink 3 cans a day or more!

<h2>1. How much coffee should I drink in a day?</h2><p>The recommended daily intake of caffeine for adults is about 400 mg, which is equivalent to about 4 cups of coffee. However, this can vary based on individual tolerance and sensitivity to caffeine.</p><h2>2. Is drinking coffee bad for my health?</h2><p>Moderate coffee consumption (3-4 cups per day) has been linked to several health benefits, such as improved cognitive function and reduced risk of certain diseases. However, excessive consumption or adding too much sugar and cream can have negative effects on health.</p><h2>3. Can I drink coffee while pregnant?</h2><p>It is generally recommended to limit caffeine intake during pregnancy to 200 mg per day, as high caffeine intake has been linked to increased risk of miscarriage and low birth weight. It is best to consult with a healthcare professional for individualized recommendations.</p><h2>4. How does coffee affect my sleep?</h2><p>Caffeine is a stimulant that can interfere with the body's natural sleep cycle. Consuming coffee too close to bedtime can make it difficult to fall asleep and may also decrease the quality of sleep. It is recommended to avoid caffeine at least 6 hours before bedtime.</p><h2>5. Is decaffeinated coffee completely caffeine-free?</h2><p>Decaffeinated coffee still contains a small amount of caffeine, usually about 3 mg per cup. However, this amount is significantly lower than regular coffee, which can have anywhere from 70-140 mg per cup. Decaffeinated coffee is a good option for those who are sensitive to caffeine or trying to limit their intake.</p>

1. How much coffee should I drink in a day?

The recommended daily intake of caffeine for adults is about 400 mg, which is equivalent to about 4 cups of coffee. However, this can vary based on individual tolerance and sensitivity to caffeine.

2. Is drinking coffee bad for my health?

Moderate coffee consumption (3-4 cups per day) has been linked to several health benefits, such as improved cognitive function and reduced risk of certain diseases. However, excessive consumption or adding too much sugar and cream can have negative effects on health.

3. Can I drink coffee while pregnant?

It is generally recommended to limit caffeine intake during pregnancy to 200 mg per day, as high caffeine intake has been linked to increased risk of miscarriage and low birth weight. It is best to consult with a healthcare professional for individualized recommendations.

4. How does coffee affect my sleep?

Caffeine is a stimulant that can interfere with the body's natural sleep cycle. Consuming coffee too close to bedtime can make it difficult to fall asleep and may also decrease the quality of sleep. It is recommended to avoid caffeine at least 6 hours before bedtime.

5. Is decaffeinated coffee completely caffeine-free?

Decaffeinated coffee still contains a small amount of caffeine, usually about 3 mg per cup. However, this amount is significantly lower than regular coffee, which can have anywhere from 70-140 mg per cup. Decaffeinated coffee is a good option for those who are sensitive to caffeine or trying to limit their intake.