How to recover from a miserable professor.

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's frustration with a difficult and unhelpful professor in a lower level physics course. The student is essentially teaching themselves the material with the help of friends who have taken the course before. The professor is described as lecturing briefly and then dismissing the class without covering important concepts. The student is struggling to get a good grade due to errors in the course material and confusing quiz questions. There is also a discussion about the availability of physics courses in the summer at different universities.
QuarkCharmer
I have a miserable professor. It's an easy lower level course. Half of the class has already dropped. I cannot afford that option, as it would put me under full time. I am essentially teaching myself the material with the help of some friends of mine who have taken it previously. I am not kidding when I say that she lectures through just the introductions of each chapter, spends the rest of the course talking about how important the chapter is, and then dismisses the course. She does not even cover the critical concepts in the chapters. It almost feels like she is disgruntled or something and not doing her job on purpose.

I'm basically going to teach myself for the remainder of the semester, and despite my answering every single question correctly, I will still end up with a B most likely. She posts example problems of the things we are supposed to know how to do, and about 30% of the problems have a fatal error that makes it unsolvable, typos, incorrect mathematics, that sort of thing. The other day we had a quiz that consisted of information that she specifically told us not to work on. Afterwards she said "well, it's in the syllabus so you all should know it". Seriously?

Is it even worth my time complaining to someone?

Physics news on Phys.org
She tenured? :P

I believe so.

My chemistry professor once linked us to a discovery channel video on youtube before our final for our "review".

Just read the book and ask here to recover.

Is this a summer course? What kind of school gives Physics courses in summer? No wonder she is doing a terrible job.

Dickfore said:
Is this a summer course? What kind of school gives Physics courses in summer? No wonder she is doing a terrible job.

Lots of schools have summer classes. I think OP just picked the wrong professor...

Could you please link me to a respectable school that offers Physics in summer?

Dickfore said:

http://www.mtu.edu/catalog/undergraduate/course-descriptions/pdf/undergraduate.pdf

PH2100 and PH2200 are both listed as available Summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dickfore said:

I think these guys are reputable, so I am told at least.
http://web.mit.edu/catalog/summer/course_08.html

I wish I were over exaggerating the severity of my circumstance, but sadly I am not. I have no problem teaching myself, though it is frustrating because you know, I am paying them!, but even self study leading to full knowledge of the material seems frustrating because of the phrasing of the test/quiz questions. There are always a few questions that do not come from the lecture (if you can call it that) or the book.

It's too hot to do physics in the summer

mege said:
http://www.mtu.edu/catalog/undergraduate/course-descriptions/pdf/undergraduate.pdf

PH2100 and PH2200 are both listed as available Summer.

MTU is hardly a reputable school. Besides, their lab schedule says it takes 15 weeks. I wonder how they fir 15 weeks from 9 May till 11 Aug, the period the Summer 2011 semester lasts.

QuarkCharmer said:
I think these guys are reputable, so I am told at least.
http://web.mit.edu/catalog/summer/course_08.html

From that website:

Registered MIT students can take arranged-unit subjects (such as UROP, Special Studies, Research, Internship, Co-op, Independent Study, Thesis Preparation, or Thesis) during the Summer Session by prior arrangement with a faculty member.

So, nope, no teaching in summer there.

http://catalog.caltech.edu/pdf/catalog_10_11.pdf

Offered in third term (March 28th - June 8th - exact same length as my summer term, just starts/ends earlier).

https://esa-oas-prod.itap.purdue.edu:9011/prod/bwckctlg.p_display_courses

PHYS 17200 - Modern Mechanics
Credit Hours: 4.00. Introductory calculus-based physics course using fundamental interactions between atoms to describe Newtonian mechanics, conservation laws, energy quantization, entropy, the kinetic theory of gases, and related topics in mechanics and thermodynamics. Emphasis is on using only a few fundamental principles to describe physical phenomena extending from nuclei to galaxies. 3-D graphical simulations and numerical problem solving by computer are employed by the student from the very beginning. Typically offered Summer Fall Spring.

I don't see how taking it over summer changes anything? It just is expected that you read faster.

osnarf said:
http://catalog.caltech.edu/pdf/catalog_10_11.pdf

Offered in third term (March 28th - June 8th - exact same length as my summer term, just starts/ends earlier).

So, it means the third term is already finished.

Sounds like it. Are you seriously suggesting that the time of year matters? I thought the problem was that the class was condensed. FYI harvard offers a 8 cred hour class over summer also for non majors combining phys 1 and 2. I like how you didn't comment on purdue or cornell.

Yes, finished yesterday, not tomorrow like you originally said.

Dickfore said:
MTU is hardly a reputable school. Besides, their lab schedule says it takes 15 weeks. I wonder how they fir 15 weeks from 9 May till 11 Aug, the period the Summer 2011 semester lasts.

Define reputable then? MTU may not be a large school, but not-reputable is pretty harsh.

Why wouldn't a school offer lower-level physics durring the summer?

The point though - QC, what did your friends that had the class previously say about the professor? (or did they have someone else?)

To the op - not that I doubt that your professor may be less than enthusiastic, but how do you figure on getting a B if you answer everything correctly?

And many times I feel there are errors in examples and after about an hour of staring at it I realize it was correct and I was wrong, perhaps you should post some of these on here? Maybe you're missing something.

QuarkCharmer said:
I have a miserable professor... It almost feels like she is disgruntled or something.

These statements worried me... but phew: at least some things in your post tell me you're not talking about me. :rofl: :rofl::rofl: I'm pretty sure I'm covering key concepts and doing decent examples (in fact LOTS of decent examples - in class and not via "posting") and I'm sadly abandoning some of WHY the chapter is important (due to limited time and favoring tons of examples). I also don't "quiz" and as "term staff" I am certainly not tenured.

I'm teaching a summer calc-based "electricity and magnetism for engineers" course at a "Biggie State U." type. They all hate it, even during full Fall/Spring terms (it's a tough course and they don't have great preparation from their engineering fundamentals (statics/dynamics classes not offered through physics). Rumor surprisingly seems to have it, however, that I'm now a favored teacher in the class, because (after some really yucky summer terms) I decided to turn half the classes into recitations and then make tests problems-based where they pick 3 of 4 problems (it's worked for them and me). There are some conceptual parts b or c to these problems, usually based on symmetry or something simple like limits... and there's some conceptual stuff in HW. But doing all the practice and example problems has retained the standard of the course relative to other institutions while making it bearable to my students.

physics girl phd said:
These statements worried me... but phew: at least some things in your post tell me you're not talking about me. :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

This is really funny. I'm always trying to make sure I don't mention anything TOO specific... just in case :)

QuarkCharmer said:
She posts example problems of the things we are supposed to know how to do, and about 30% of the problems have a fatal error that makes it unsolvable, typos, incorrect mathematics, that sort of thing. The other day we had a quiz that consisted of information that she specifically told us not to work on. Afterwards she said "well, it's in the syllabus so you all should know it". Seriously?

This sounds like an excellent introduction to the way the real world works.

Best get used to it. You will have to deal with lots more of the same in the next 30 or 40 years of your life.

Complaining probably won't change anything, unless you can get the majority of the class to make a joint complaint (and trying to organize that will be another "real-world educational experience" for you :smile:)

osnarf said:
To the op - not that I doubt that your professor may be less than enthusiastic, but how do you figure on getting a B if you answer everything correctly?

It's quite simple really. The course has 5 tests and daily quizzes that all amount to the weight of a sixth test. The quizzes are essentially written examinations and the questions often ask us to describe/explain particular phenomenon that are not within the scope of the course. "Why do you think that..." types of questions. Even with the correct answer(s), (I verify them with the department tutors) you ALWAYS lose points because she will write something like "A more efficient way would be to <do something differently>". I think this is absolutely asinine. How are we expected to answer questions that are not within the scope of the course. There are many different correct ways to do things, and we basically lose points for her criticism. The quiz questions mine as well be written like "What are the professors feelings on some subject"?

physics girl phd said:
http://www.sce.cornell.edu/ss/courses/on/courses.php?action=roster&f=DEPTID&v=122"

They look to offer standard algebra-based and calc-based intro courses in summer.

Edit: oop -- you beat me to something, osnarf, one minute. I googled "physics classes summer" and cornell was the first to pop up.

The summer session is offered by the School of continuing education and lasts only 6 weeks. So, it is definitely not a regular session.

These are the instructors' positions for the offered courses:
1101 and 1102 - Senior Lecturer and Research Associate;
1112 - Not listed anywhere
2213 - Visiting Associate Professor
2214 - Co-principal Investigator
6501 (A course offered only in Summer Session) - Visiting Scientist

Non of these is a Tenured Faculty. So, I would say it's not really Cornell that you are getting.

EDIT:
osnarf said:
FYI harvard offers a 8 cred hour class over summer also for non majors combining phys 1 and 2.
The bolded text further supports my point, but you had not even provided a link.

Ohio State offers intro physics (for physics majors) in the summer. (Here's the link, but it won't let me link directly to results, you have to search for them: https://courses.osu.edu/psp/hcosuct/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/COMMUNITY_ACCESS.CLASS_SEARCH.GBL)

PHYSICS 131 - Introductory Physics: Particles and Motion

0010-LEC(13814)
Days & Times Room Instructor Meeting Dates
MoWeFr 1:30PM - 2:18PM
Smith Lab 1005
Thomas Edward Barrett
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011

0013-LAB(13817)
We 10:30AM - 12:18PM
Smith Lab 2064
Geoffrey Nathan Smith
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011

0014-REC(13818)
TuTh 2:30PM - 3:18PM
Smith Lab 2186
Geoffrey Nathan Smith
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011

PHYSICS 132 - Introductory Physics: Electricity and Magnetism
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011
PHYSICS 133 - Introductory Physics: Thermal Physics, Waves, and Quantum Physics
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011

If you try to say Ohio State isn't a real school, then you're just an ***.

capandbells said:
Ohio State offers intro physics (for physics majors) in the summer. (Here's the link, but it won't let me link directly to results, you have to search for them: https://courses.osu.edu/psp/hcosuct/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/COMMUNITY_ACCESS.CLASS_SEARCH.GBL)

PHYSICS 131 - Introductory Physics: Particles and Motion

0010-LEC(13814)
MoWeFr 1:30PM - 2:18PM
Smith Lab 1005
Thomas Edward Barrett
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011

0013-LAB(13817)
We 10:30AM - 12:18PM
Smith Lab 2064
Geoffrey Nathan Smith
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011

0014-REC(13818)
TuTh 2:30PM - 3:18PM
Smith Lab 2186
Geoffrey Nathan Smith
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011

PHYSICS 132 - Introductory Physics: Electricity and Magnetism
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011
PHYSICS 133 - Introductory Physics: Thermal Physics, Waves, and Quantum Physics
6/20/2011 - 8/22/2011

If you try to say Ohio State isn't a real school, then you're just an ***.

Apart from sucking at football, they're ok :tongue:

But, seriously, the first Instructor is again a lecturer. Are you trying to tell me that Ohio State does not have tenured faculty teaching introductory Physics Courses in the Fall and Spring Semesters?

Dickfore, what's your point, anyway? I mean, what are you trying to achieve here?

My point is no sane person should take Physics courses in the summer semester. If you had taken it, you should not be surprised that some novice is practicing teaching skills on a minimum wage on you.

Dickfore said:

I believe UCLA offers some lower-division physics courses in the summer. And they offer math, too.

I don't want to give away much more of my identity than I already have, but I took Classical Mechanics (a junior-level course) at my Big State U during the summer as an undergrad. And it was taught by a tenured professor who received his PhD from a Top 10 physics program. There was no slacking off during that course, that's for sure.

Pengwuino said:
She tenured? :P

QuarkCharmer said:
I believe so.

Dickfore said:
My point is no sane person should take Physics courses in the summer semester. If you had taken it, you should not be surprised that some novice is practicing teaching skills on a minimum wage on you.

I think it's already been established that QC thinks the instructor is a Professor, not a part-time faculty. Besides, we don't even know what course it is - it could be http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...90.html#s72846&title=Class_Underwater_Basket" and not a Physics course like all are presuming.

QuarkCharmer said:
I have a miserable professor. It's an easy lower level course. Half of the class has already dropped. I cannot afford that option, as it would put me under full time. I am essentially teaching myself the material with the help of some friends of mine who have taken it previously. I am not kidding when I say that she lectures through just the introductions of each chapter, spends the rest of the course talking about how important the chapter is, and then dismisses the course. She does not even cover the critical concepts in the chapters. It almost feels like she is disgruntled or something and not doing her job on purpose.

I'm basically going to teach myself for the remainder of the semester, and despite my answering every single question correctly, I will still end up with a B most likely. She posts example problems of the things we are supposed to know how to do, and about 30% of the problems have a fatal error that makes it unsolvable, typos, incorrect mathematics, that sort of thing. The other day we had a quiz that consisted of information that she specifically told us not to work on. Afterwards she said "well, it's in the syllabus so you all should know it". Seriously?

Is it even worth my time complaining to someone?

Is this for Physics I w/calculus? I wonder if we have the same prof... This is EXACTLY the scenario with my physics prof (with the exception of the errors). I thought I was going to love her, she is a theoretical physicist with 25 or so yrs of research, but she rushes through the lectures, they are quite messy and I have to teach myself everything which is annoying because I am wasting my time sitting in her class when I could just be teaching myself. They should have made this class a hybrid online class with a requirement to attend lab once a week. I have no problem teaching myself, but I am SO disappointed because I have looked forward to this class all of my life. The other day we had a quiz and the scenario was the same LOL. She is a bit of an elitist with physics and acts like this intro course is some high level stuff that is so advanced. She is also not open to questions OR she will give you a vague and misleading answer. I cannot afford to drop this class either as it will cost me another semester -_-

I was getting discouraged and wondering the same thing the other day, how can I recover from this miserable prof. I just decided to immerse myself in the material and abandon all of my social outlets. I am determined to master everything and work a few chapters ahead (which is something I usually do but have not been able to do in this class). We are using Serway Jewett, and I am going to get Halliday/Resnick to see if I work better with it. I've selected my courses for next semester and I selected a different prof for Physics II.

Hang in there is all I can say Charmer ;) You will get through this!

mege said:
I think it's already been established that QC thinks the instructor is a Professor, not a part-time faculty. Besides, we don't even know what course it is - it could be http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...90.html#s72846&title=Class_Underwater_Basket" and not a Physics course like all are presuming.

What the op thinks and what the facts are are two completely different things. But, you are right about the 'basket weaving' issue. The OP had never stated what kind of course they are enrolled in.

For the sake of not derailing the thread with people mindlessly trying to provide links without even reading through, I wish to retract my statement. This is my correction: Both the quality of teaching and the learning experience are drastically disparate between the regular semesters and the summer sessions. It is my belief that students who do enroll for physics in summer are usually people who had failed/dropped the course in a previous semester and are trying to get back on schedule. Well, Physics is not something you can squeeze in in summer. If you lag behind on Physics, I'm afraid you would have to spend an extra year in your Engineering/Science undergrad degree, or change the major to something that does not require this course. It requires 100% of your effort for good 11 weeks. Having a disorganized teacher does not help either. [/statement]

So, OP what kind of Physics course is this?

Dickfore said:
It is my belief that students who do enroll for physics in summer are usually people who had failed/dropped the course in a previous semester and are trying to get back on schedule. Well, Physics is not something you can squeeze in in summer. If you lag behind on Physics, I'm afraid you would have to spend an extra year in your Engineering/Science undergrad degree, or change the major to something that does not require this course. It requires 100% of your effort for good 11 weeks. Having a disorganized teacher does not help either. [/statement]

I understand that this is your belief Dickfore, and you said usually which does not imply totally...but I have never taken/failed/dropped a physics course prior to this one. I expected to put forth more effort because it is a summer course, which I am doing since I have to teach myself, but having a prof like this can be quite discouraging.

Anyways not trying to hijack the thread or anything! Just passionate about this since I am also experiencing it.

HeLiXe said:
I understand that this is your belief Dickfore, and you said usually which does not imply totally...but I have never taken/failed/dropped a physics course prior to this one.

First of all, I don't understand what 'prior to this one' is referring to since this is your first post in this thread. Secondly, since Summer session offers mostly Introductory Physics courses, there is a high probability that one taking a Physics course in the summer is taking a Physics course for the first time. So, I had never failed/dropped is not relevant in that case.