I don't understand - Andromeda

• Thread starter PlayUK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Andromeda
In summary, Andromeda is heading towards us because of the mutual gravitational attraction between it and our galaxy. The expansion of space is only halted because of the strong gravitational fields between the two galaxies.
PlayUK
Excuse my ignorance. I don't know much about this subject, but there's something I've read about that I don't understand. If space is expanding and everything is getting further away from everything else, how is Andromeda heading towards us?

Space news on Phys.org
Andromeda is close enough that the mutual gravitational attraction between it and our galaxy is enough to overcome it.

I thought it was because Andromeda is very close to us (on the scale of the entire universe), so the expansion of space all by itself produces only a very small "separation velocity" that is easily "hidden" by the random velocities that the two galaxies have anyway.

I think the overworked and often-misleading balloon analogy works here. Imagine ants crawling slowly and randomly around the balloon. If two ants happen to be close together, and approaching each other, the balloon surface in between doesn't produce enough expansion to overcome their approach.

jtbell said:
I thought it was because Andromeda is very close to us (on the scale of the entire universe), so the expansion of space all by itself produces only a very small "separation velocity" that is easily "hidden" by the random velocities that the two galaxies have anyway.

I think the overworked and often-misleading balloon analogy works here. Imagine ants crawling slowly and randomly around the balloon. If two ants happen to be close together, and approaching each other, the balloon surface in between doesn't produce enough expansion to overcome their approach.

I don't think so. I'm fairly certain the overall expansion is precisely halted in the presence of such such strong local gravitational fields. The way I think about it is that you can only really apply FRW (and hence, the expansion) on scales which the universe looks homogeneous and isotropic. Since this clearly isn't true for two galaxies as close as the milky way and andromeda, assigning an expansion velocity of the universe to the space around these galaxies does not make sense.

Nabeshin said:
I don't think so. I'm fairly certain the overall expansion is precisely halted in the presence of such such strong local gravitational fields. The way I think about it is that you can only really apply FRW (and hence, the expansion) on scales which the universe looks homogeneous and isotropic. Since this clearly isn't true for two galaxies as close as the milky way and andromeda, assigning an expansion velocity of the universe to the space around these galaxies does not make sense.

While I am inclined to disagree with you, I don't know of any experiment that has been done to diferentiate between homogenous and inhomogenous expansion. As far as I know, we don't know anything about the distribution of dark enery. If I'm wrong then point me in the dirrection of the relevant info.

Has anyone calculated the amount of expansion? Because the space I'm sitting in right now must be expanding too, surely?

Andromeda is so far away it's hard to image gravity overcoming expansion, especially when you read about galaxies moving away from us at substantial percentages of the speed of light (i.e. compounding expansion of space from here to a long way away). So the expansion must be very small.

PlayUK said:
Has anyone calculated the amount of expansion? Because the space I'm sitting in right now must be expanding too, surely?

Andromeda is so far away it's hard to image gravity overcoming expansion, especially when you read about galaxies moving away from us at substantial percentages of the speed of light (i.e. compounding expansion of space from here to a long way away). So the expansion must be very small.

It's not just Andromeda, at the scale of local cluster, galaxies will not be pulled apart by space expansion [unless of course the acceleration becomes much greater in the future]. See Section 2.6.3 of http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.0380" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent paper. Clears up the misconceptions. Thanks.

1. What is Andromeda?

Andromeda is a spiral galaxy approximately 2.5 million light years away from Earth. It is the closest galaxy to the Milky Way and is the largest galaxy in our Local Group.

2. Why don't we understand Andromeda?

While scientists have gathered a lot of information about Andromeda through observations and simulations, there is still a lot we do not understand about this galaxy. Its size, structure, and formation are still topics of ongoing research.

3. How do we study Andromeda?

Scientists use various methods to study Andromeda, including telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. By observing different wavelengths of light and analyzing data, we can learn more about its composition, structure, and behavior.

4. What is the significance of studying Andromeda?

Studying Andromeda can provide valuable insights into the evolution and behavior of galaxies. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of our own Milky Way galaxy, as well as the larger structure of the universe.

5. Will Andromeda collide with the Milky Way?

Yes, scientists predict that Andromeda and the Milky Way will collide in about 4 billion years. This event, known as the "Andromeda-Milky Way collision," will have a major impact on both galaxies and is being closely studied by scientists.