Projectile motion - max range

In summary, taking the derivative of the function x = Vo2sin(2θ)/g and setting it equal to zero allows us to mathematically determine the optimal angle for maximum range of a projectile. This is because the derivative being zero indicates an extremum point, and solving for θ at that point gives us the optimal angle. Looking at the graph of the function also visually confirms this, as the maximum value of x occurs at θ=pi/4.
leitz

Homework Statement

After i get the formula x = Vo2sin(2θ)/g, I was told that I can take the derivative of x and let that equal to zero to get the max range of the projectile. Why? What does taking the derivative do in order to help us find the max angle? I know that the value of the derivative at the maximum height of the traj. would be 0, but why is that significant?

Homework Equations

x = Vo2sin(2θ)/g => dx/dθ = Vo2/g * 2cos2θ

Physics news on Phys.org
A function goes through an extremum (maximum or minimum) when its derivative is zero. Positive derivative means that the function is increasing, negative derivative means that the function is decreasing. Therefore, zero derivative means that it is neither increasing nor decreasing, i.e. it is at an extremum.

I already knew that. My question is, how is that relevant to how we get the optimal angle for max range?

You could just look at the graph of x = Vo2sin(2θ)/g, and visually determine what angle causes an x maximum, but this is technically an imprecise method (if this function was not so darned symetrical, you could see where eyeball error might come into play). But if you set the derivative to 0 and solve for θ, you can mathematically determine exactly what angle causes the x maximum.

leitz said:
I already knew that. My question is, how is that relevant to how we get the optimal angle for max range?
It is relevant because that's exactly what you must do to get the optimal angle. You take the derivative with respect to the angle, you set it equal to zero and you solve the resulting equation to find the optimal angle.

Okay, I know what confuses me now. Before, I thought the path of the projectile is what I'm supposed to be looking at. Instead, I should be looking at the graph of the relationship between θ and x. At θ=pi/4, the maximum value of x is achieved. If you only look at the path of the projectile, that would be rather obscure. And by taking the derivative of x, you get a line with a negative slope, where the zero is the value at which x is at max (the extremum of the x function)... Is that correct?

All that is correct. I think you understand now.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity.

2. How is the maximum range of a projectile calculated?

The maximum range of a projectile is calculated by using the formula R = (v2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the maximum range of a projectile?

The maximum range of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind speed can also have an impact on the maximum range.

4. Can the maximum range of a projectile be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the maximum range of a projectile cannot be greater than the initial velocity. The initial velocity is a key factor in determining the maximum range of a projectile and cannot be exceeded.

5. How does changing the angle of projection affect the maximum range of a projectile?

Changing the angle of projection can have a significant impact on the maximum range of a projectile. The maximum range will increase as the angle of projection approaches 45 degrees, but it will decrease if the angle is too high or too low.