Is going to lecture a huge waste of time?

In summary, I think lectures are obsolete because they are not necessary for most people to learn most information.
I find lectures are a waste of time.
I hate going and returning from lectures and sitting and all that.
With youtube, I get to skip parts and easy topics.
10 minute videos instead of 50 minutes of lectures.
It offers the flexibility I love.

Nice link: http://cheng.staff.shef.ac.uk/misc/lectures.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Come to think of it, I'm skipping lectures yet so much money is going into paying tuition?
Lol the education system is so capitalistic

Kuhan said:
I find lectures are a waste of time.

Yes, you've said that.

Kuhan said:
Come to think of it, I'm skipping lectures yet so much money is going into paying tuition?

Your own money? I find that people who are paying for college themselves tend not to skip lectures.

Vanadium 50 said:
Your own money? I find that people who are paying for college themselves tend not to skip lectures.
That was the case for me. I missed some lectures and labs when I got mono and bronchitis back-to-back. That made the Chem finals a bit scary, but I managed.

During the mid-to-late 60s, lots of guys were applying to colleges in order to get a student draft deferment. Financial aid dried up then. Kids from poor families could not get enough aid to be able to attend the best schools. You either worked or dropped out.

to those that say you learn better from textbooks than from lectureres:

good luck with books like Jackson, Goldstein, McQuarrie, Marder and Mukamel. You know, a professor is a recognized expert in the field; even the worst PhD is magnitudes superior to a typical BS student - they already did the mental weightlifting, so to speak, and it'll be ludicrous to say that a boxer who weightlifted for 10 years is weaker than a novice boxer trainee. when both boxers are just jumping rope (intro classes) you probably can't see the difference. When the boxers are in the ring, the difference is clear.

I'll just say this: For those books its not possible to solve many of the problems with knowledge only given in the book. The professor will usually either assign self written problems, or pick and choose the problems that are actually solvable in reasonable amounts of time. Also the exam often has nothing to do with the homework, unlike in lower division classes.

Last edited:
chill_factor said:
to those that say you learn better from textbooks than from lectureres:

good luck with books like Jackson, Goldstein, McQuarrie, Marder and Mukamel. You know, a professor is a recognized expert in the field; even the worst PhD is magnitudes superior to a typical BS student - they already did the mental weightlifting, so to speak, and it'll be ludicrous to say that a boxer who weightlifted for 10 years is weaker than a novice boxer trainee. when both boxers are just jumping rope (intro classes) you probably can't see the difference. When the boxers are in the ring, the difference is clear.

I'll just say this: For those books its not possible to solve many of the problems with knowledge only given in the book. The professor will usually either assign self written problems, or pick and choose the problems that are actually solvable in reasonable amounts of time. Also the exam often has nothing to do with the homework, unlike in lower division classes.

I am in lower division classes. It's my 3rd week of college

Kuhan said:
I am in lower division classes. It's my 3rd week of college

then don't make judgments so fast.

i will go to lecture despite not understanding the professor at all because the professors actually know if you go or not, and when it comes down to crunch time on the tests, and you're 1 point away from passing or failing, guess who the professor sympathizes with:

the guy that comes to class every day without fail, tries, and the material is just a bit too hard
the guy that skips class and does badly

chill_factor said:
then don't make judgments so fast.

i will go to lecture despite not understanding the professor at all because the professors actually know if you go or not, and when it comes down to crunch time on the tests, and you're 1 point away from passing or failing, guess who the professor sympathizes with:

the guy that comes to class every day without fail, tries, and the material is just a bit too hard
the guy that skips class and does badly

lol I used to sit in the front (the most front) of class for the first 2 weeks then suddenly I didn't go the third week.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, you've said that.

I'm on a full scholarship

<h2>1. Is attending lectures really necessary for success in a course?</h2><p>It depends on the individual and the course. Some students may find attending lectures to be crucial for their understanding and retention of material, while others may be able to learn effectively through other means such as reading textbooks or online resources.</p><h2>2. Can I just rely on lecture recordings instead of attending in person?</h2><p>Again, this depends on the course and the individual. While lecture recordings can be a helpful resource, they may not always capture everything that is discussed in class and may not provide the same level of engagement and interaction as attending in person.</p><h2>3. Are lectures just a waste of time since all the information is available online?</h2><p>While it is true that a lot of information can be found online, lectures often provide more than just information. They can offer valuable insights, explanations, and discussions that may not be available online. Additionally, attending lectures can help with time management and structure for studying.</p><h2>4. Is it better to attend lectures or study on my own?</h2><p>This depends on your learning style and the course. Some students may benefit more from studying on their own, while others may find attending lectures to be more helpful. It is important to find a balance and determine what works best for you.</p><h2>5. Can I skip lectures if I already have a good understanding of the material?</h2><p>While it may be tempting to skip lectures if you feel confident in your understanding of the material, it is important to remember that lectures can offer additional insights and information that may not be available elsewhere. Additionally, attending lectures can help reinforce your understanding and provide opportunities for clarification and questions.</p>

1. Is attending lectures really necessary for success in a course?

It depends on the individual and the course. Some students may find attending lectures to be crucial for their understanding and retention of material, while others may be able to learn effectively through other means such as reading textbooks or online resources.

2. Can I just rely on lecture recordings instead of attending in person?

Again, this depends on the course and the individual. While lecture recordings can be a helpful resource, they may not always capture everything that is discussed in class and may not provide the same level of engagement and interaction as attending in person.

3. Are lectures just a waste of time since all the information is available online?

While it is true that a lot of information can be found online, lectures often provide more than just information. They can offer valuable insights, explanations, and discussions that may not be available online. Additionally, attending lectures can help with time management and structure for studying.

4. Is it better to attend lectures or study on my own?

This depends on your learning style and the course. Some students may benefit more from studying on their own, while others may find attending lectures to be more helpful. It is important to find a balance and determine what works best for you.

5. Can I skip lectures if I already have a good understanding of the material?

While it may be tempting to skip lectures if you feel confident in your understanding of the material, it is important to remember that lectures can offer additional insights and information that may not be available elsewhere. Additionally, attending lectures can help reinforce your understanding and provide opportunities for clarification and questions.