Atoms with several electrons, potential energy

In summary, the problem asks for the calculation of the potential energy of an electron in an atom with atomic number Z, taking into consideration the distribution of charge of the other Z-1 electrons using the probability density of the ground state of the hydrogen atom. The equations provided are V(r)=-\frac{ke^2Z}{r} or V(r)=\frac{ke^2Z}{r} and P(r)dr=\frac{4}{a_0 ^3}r^2 e^{-2r/a_0}dr. The task is to analyze the behavior of the potential energy for both the inner (r<< a_0) and outer (r>>a_0) electrons. The use of Dir
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I don't really understand the problem wording. What do they ask me exactly? Here it goes:
Consider the potential energy V(r) of an electron in an atom whose atomic number is Z. Calculate the potential energy aproximating the distribution of charge of the others Z-1 electrons with a distribution given by the density of probability of the ground state of the hydrogen atom. Analize the behavior for the most internal electrons ([itex]r<< a_0[/itex]) and for the most external ones ([itex]r>>a_0[/itex]).

Homework Equations

[itex]V(r)=-\frac{ke^2Z}{r}[/itex] or [itex]V(r)=\frac{ke^2Z}{r}[/itex] if I consider only 2 electrons rather than proton vs electron.
[itex]P(r)dr=\frac{4}{a_0 ^3}r^2 e^{-2r/a_0}dr[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure about the word distribution. I have in mind Dirac's deltas. What has it to see with P(r)dr that I gave above?
I must calculate the potential energy of the electrons that are close to the nucleous and the ones that are far from it?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I do that? I know the potential of an electron in a atom, but how to use the distribution given? I'm really confused. Can someone help me?

What is an atom?

An atom is the basic unit of matter that is made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. It is the smallest unit of an element that still retains the properties of that element.

How do electrons contribute to an atom's potential energy?

Electrons have a negative charge and they orbit around the positively charged nucleus of an atom. This creates an electrostatic force that contributes to an atom's potential energy.

What is the relationship between the number of electrons and an atom's potential energy?

The more electrons an atom has, the higher its potential energy. This is because there are more interactions between the negatively charged electrons and the positively charged nucleus, resulting in a greater potential energy.

Can an atom's potential energy change?

Yes, an atom's potential energy can change. It can increase or decrease depending on the energy level of its electrons. When an electron gains energy, it moves to a higher energy level, increasing the atom's potential energy.

How is potential energy related to an atom's stability?

An atom with a lower potential energy is more stable because its electrons are in their lowest energy state. This means that the electrostatic force between the electrons and nucleus is balanced, resulting in a more stable atom.