Question: # of particles within an energy range below Fermi Energy.

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the number of conduction electrons in a 1 mm cube of gold with energies between 4.000 and 4.025 at 300K. The equations used are n(E)dE = g(E)Ffd(E)dE and N/V = 0-inf∫ n(E)dE, with the Fermi Energy for gold being 5.53 eV. The volume is easily found, and g(E) is calculated as 6.79^37 energy states per cubic meter. The next step is unclear due to the integral in the equation.
Lil Dansn Man

Homework Statement

Here's what the question says.

"Consider a cube of gold 1 mm on an edge. calculate the approximate number of conduction electrons in this cube whose energies lie in the range from 4.000 to 4.025 at 300k. Assume Ef(300K) = Ef(0)."

Homework Equations

Well, I know that n(E)dE = g(E)Ffd(E)dE, where g(E) is the density of states, and Ffd is the Fermi-Dirac probability.

Also, N/V = 0-inf∫ n(E)dE

and the Fermi Energy for gold is 5.53 ev

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the Volume is easy, which is just V = (1e-3)^3

Then, I try to find g(E), which is g(E)dE = DE^(1/2)dE, where D =[itex]\frac{8*sqrt(2)*pi*Me^(3/2)}{h^3}[/itex]

Using 4.00eV for E^(1/2) (and consequently converting it to Joules) I get g(E) = 6.79^37 Energy States/m^3.

Here's what I did in wolfram alpha language:

here's D: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(8*sqrt(2)*pi*(9.109e-31)^(3/2))/(6.626e-34)^3)

Now here's D*E^(1/2): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1.06e56*(4*1.602e-19)

Pretty much my question is "What do I do next?" Due to N/V equaling an integral, I'm a little iffy on what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm sorry, I actually only multiplied by E, not E^1/2...

Here's E^1/2: 1.06e56*((4*1.602e-19)^(1/2))

1. What is the Fermi Energy?

The Fermi Energy is the energy level at which all the available states in a system are filled at absolute zero temperature. It is a defining property of a material's electronic structure and determines its electrical and thermal conductivity.

2. How is the number of particles below Fermi Energy calculated?

The number of particles below Fermi Energy can be calculated by integrating the density of states function over the energy range below Fermi Energy. This gives the total number of available states, which is equal to the number of particles at absolute zero temperature.

3. What is the significance of the number of particles below Fermi Energy?

The number of particles below Fermi Energy is a crucial parameter in understanding the electronic properties of a material. It affects the electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and magnetic properties of a material.

4. How does the number of particles below Fermi Energy change with temperature?

As the temperature increases, the number of particles below Fermi Energy also increases. This is due to the thermal excitation of electrons to higher energy levels, resulting in a larger number of available states below Fermi Energy.

5. Does the number of particles below Fermi Energy vary between different materials?

Yes, the number of particles below Fermi Energy can vary significantly between different materials. It depends on the material's electronic structure, such as the number of energy bands, the band gap, and the density of states at the Fermi Energy. Metals typically have a larger number of particles below Fermi Energy compared to insulators.