Integrate this function over the volume of a sphere sphere

In summary: Thus I can integrate over the whole range of r by taking limits as r goes to zero. In summary, the homework statement is to integrate \nabla^{2} (\frac{1}{|\underline{r} - \underline{r}'|}) over the volume of a sphere using the divergence theorem. The Attempt at a Solution is to find the equation for the normal vector at a point on the sphere using the divergence theorem and integrate over the range of r.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

Integrate [itex]\nabla^{2}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{1}{|\underline{r} - \underline{r}'|}[/itex]) over the volume of a sphere using the divergence theorem.

Homework Equations

[itex]\nabla^{2}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{1}{|\underline{r} - \underline{r}'|}[/itex]) = -4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\delta^{(3)}[/itex][itex](\underline{r} - \underline{r}')[/itex] (i.e. it's a dirac delta function, this just tells me that the answer I should get if I integrate over the volume is -4[itex]\pi[/itex])

[itex]\nabla^{}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{1}{|\underline{r} - \underline{r}'|}[/itex]) = [itex]-\frac{(\underline{r} - \underline{r}')}{|\underline{r} - \underline{r}'|^{3}}[/itex]

[itex]\underline{r} = (x,y,z)[/itex]

[itex]\underline{r'} = (x',y',z')[/itex] (note that the dashes do not mean the differential of, just a different point in space from x,y,z).

And the divergence theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\int_{V'}[/itex][itex]\nabla^{2}[/itex] [itex](\frac{1}{|\underline{r} - \underline{r}'|} )dV'[/itex]

=
[itex]\int_{S'}[/itex][itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex](\frac{1}{|\underline{r} - \underline{r}'|} ) \circ d\underline{S}'[/itex] (by the divergence theorem)

[itex] d\underline{S}' = \hat{\underline{n}} dS' [/itex]

[itex] dS' = R^{2}sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi [/itex]

I guess R should be the radius of the sphere. In which case I choose r' = R?

= [itex]\int_{S'}-\frac{(\underline{r} - \underline{r}')}{|\underline{r} - \underline{r}'|^{3}} \circ d\underline{S}'[/itex]

Then, putting r' = R

[itex]\int_{S'}-\frac{(\underline{r} - \underline{R})}{|\underline{r} - \underline{R}|^{3}} \circ \hat{\underline{n}} dS'[/itex]

=

[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{\pi}_{0} -(\frac{(\underline{r} - \underline{R})}{|\underline{r} - \underline{R}|^{3}} \circ \hat{\underline{n}}) R^{2}sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi[/itex]

Am I right so far? This looks like a complete mess, and I'm not sure what to do with the dot product of the vector and the normal vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the direction of the radius vector compared to the normal vector on the surface of the sphere? ;)

Thaakisfox said:
Whats the direction of the radius vector compared to the normal vector on the surface of the sphere? ;)

Cheers. Clearly they are in the same direction, so I can make the simplification [itex] \underline{R} \circ \hat{\underline{n}} = R [/itex]

Then maybe with [itex] \underline{r} \circ \hat{\underline{n}} [/itex] I can turn it into [itex] rcos(\theta) [/itex]

Thus [itex] - (\underline{r} - \underline{R}) \circ \hat{\underline{n}} [/itex] becomes

[itex] R - rcos(\theta) [/itex]

Then what though? I guess I could turn the denominator into

[itex] (r^{2} + R^{2} - 2Rrcos(\theta))^{3/2} [/itex] by the cosine rule, but then I get, overall;
[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{\pi}_{0} (\frac{R - rcos(\theta)}{(r^{2} + R^{2} - 2Rrcos(\theta))^{3/2}}) R^{2}sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi[/itex]

But how would I do that integral with respect to theta?

yes very good. Now put [itex]x=\cos\theta[/itex]. And separate the integrands.

Note that: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(r^2+R^2-2Rrx)^{-1/2}) =\frac{-Rr}{(r^2+R^2-2Rrx)^{3/2}}[/tex]

1. What is the formula for integrating a function over the volume of a sphere?

The formula for integrating a function over the volume of a sphere is ∫∫∫ f(x,y,z) dV = ∫∫∫ f(r,θ,φ) r² sinφ dr dθ dφ, where r represents the radial distance, θ represents the polar angle, and φ represents the azimuthal angle.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for a sphere?

The limits of integration for a sphere depend on the function being integrated and the region of the sphere being considered. Generally, the limits for r will be from 0 to the radius of the sphere, θ will be from 0 to π, and φ will be from 0 to 2π.

3. Can I use any coordinate system to integrate over the volume of a sphere?

While it is possible to use different coordinate systems, it is most common and easiest to use spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) when integrating over the volume of a sphere. This is because the spherical coordinates naturally align with the shape of the sphere.

4. What does it mean to integrate over the volume of a sphere?

Integrating over the volume of a sphere means finding the total value of a function within the three-dimensional space that is enclosed by a sphere. This can be thought of as finding the volume under the curve of the function within the sphere.

5. How can I use integration over the volume of a sphere in real-world applications?

Integrating over the volume of a sphere is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the total mass, charge, or other physical properties of an object that has a spherical shape. It can also be used in calculus and geometry to find the volume of a spherical region or to solve various optimization problems.