HS Senior, Looking for Advice/Material in Physics.

In summary, a senior in high school is considering a career in science and is considering a community college route or transferring to a state university to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Physics. He has been advised to learn math and physics and has been recommended two books: Basic Mathematics and The Feynman Physics Lectures. He also recommends learning calculus before starting college physics.
Arsole
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in my last year of high school and now deciding what I want to pursue as a career. Science, more specifically Physics has always been very interesting to me. The fact that everything in the Universe can be expressed in Mathematics has motivated me to learn more about how objects function. I am 18, and feel I would need more clarity to confidently pursue this as a Major/Career.

I am planning to attend a Community College for 2 years before transferring to a State University and continuing a Bachelors Degree. I have been told for some careers starting at a University is essential to finding any success in that field. Is this a realistic approach for majoring in Physics?

Unfortunately, I decided to take Statistics instead of PreCalc this year not realizing how important it was at the time. I am currently taking Physics, but feel my teacher is only scratching the surface of what's out there.

-I was hoping someone knowledgeable could give me any advice, and recommend some self-study material involving necessary Math and Physics in general. Ideally, I would like to learn as much as possible to prepare me for what I will encounter at a University. I have already begun reading the Feynman Physics Lectures 1-3, and although from the 60's they are very intriguing.

Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Physics news on Phys.org
After reading a lot of the advice threads over the last few months, I might give my 2 cents.

Unfortunately I cannot discuss the community college question as I am unfamiliar with the american education system.

As for advise with regard to physics at 3rd level, learn all the math you can. A book which has been recommended numerous times is Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang. It covers almost everything you need before entering college. I hope to get it, to work on it this summer once I have the money. (College Books are expensive!)

As for pre calculus I was watching a good lecture on that the other night. Here's the link. It may not cover everything though....

As for physics I am unaware of which books are available in the US, but I'm sure other will have some ideas. I think micromass did a blog on calculus book recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also highly advise that you learn keep advancing in math and eventually learn Calculus. The majority of upper level physics is Calculus based.

As far as community college goes, it's hard to get into classes sometimes, but don't slack and get everything out of the way ASAP, it is very hard to transfer out of community college in 2 years as a science major

Hi, I'm another senior in HS, but I'm taking sophomore classes at the U of MN. If you want to self-study physics and mathematics, I would recommend MIT OpenCourseWare. They have full video lectures, assignments, exams, and lecture notes for many classes including Physics I and Calculus I. Also, Feynman is great, but you need a more "standard" text with problems (we used Tipler and Mosca). You can buy it off Amazon, or try Thriftbooks.com to save money. If you have the opportunity, learn some calculus before you start college physics. It is very difficult to learn new math and apply it at the same time - I tried it and had an awful time with moment of inertia calculations. I hope this helps, have fun with your study!

1. What are some good study materials for physics in high school?

For high school physics, some good study materials include textbooks, online resources such as Khan Academy or Physics Classroom, practice problems and tests from previous years, and study guides provided by your teacher.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage in the material. This can include practicing problems, asking questions, and seeking out additional resources such as videos or demonstrations. It can also be helpful to connect concepts to real-world applications.

3. What are some tips for studying and preparing for physics exams?

Some tips for studying and preparing for physics exams include starting early, breaking down the material into smaller chunks, practicing problems, and seeking help from your teacher or classmates. It is also important to get enough rest and stay organized during the studying process.

4. How can I apply physics concepts to everyday life?

Physics concepts can be applied to everyday life in many ways. For example, understanding the principles of motion can help explain how objects move in our surroundings. Understanding electricity and magnetism can help us understand how electronic devices work. It can also help us make informed decisions about energy usage and conservation.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only relevant to scientists or engineers. In reality, physics concepts can be applied to many different fields and can help us better understand the world around us. Another misconception is that physics is too difficult or only for "geniuses." While it can be challenging, with dedication and practice, anyone can understand and appreciate physics concepts.