Find the dimension of capacitor given [phi]E and Id

In summary: So, In summary, the electric field between two circular plates of a capacitor is changing at a rate of 1.5x10^6 V/m/s (ΦE). If displacement current at this instant is Id=0.80x10^-8A, find the dimensions of the plates.
a4pat

Homework Statement

The electric field between two circular plates of a capacitor is changing at a rate of 1.5x10^6 V/m/s (ΦE). If displacement current at this instant is Id=0.80x10^-8A, find the dimensions of the plates.

Homework Equations

Id=ΔQ/Δt=εΔΦE/Δt
Q=CV=(εA/d)(Ed)

Q=εAE <-- need to solve for A but do not have E.

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=εΦE = (8.85x10^-12)(1.5x10^6)
Q=1.33x10^-5

Feel like I must be missing something, I've gone over this problem and relevant formulas for way too long and can't figure out how to determine A (area of the plates) from the information given. Would really appreciate a push in the right direction.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you differentiate your formula Q = (εA/d)(Ed) with respect to time?

gneill said:
What happens if you differentiate your formula Q = (εA/d)(Ed) with respect to time?

Could you elaborate?

I don't see how that helps to solve for A or E

a4pat said:
Could you elaborate?

I don't see how that helps to solve for A or E

differentiate both sides w.r.t. time. (what varies on each side?). Does the result mesh with any other formula you've written?

gneill said:
differentiate both sides w.r.t. time. (what varies on each side?). Does the result mesh with any other formula you've written?

ΔQ/Δt = CV/Δt = εAE/Δt = Id

Thanks for the reply, still not sure how to solve this. Even with respect to time I can't see how the formulas can be setup to find the plate dimensions (A) without having d, or E.
:confused:

a4pat said:
ΔQ/Δt = CV/Δt = εAE/Δt = Id

Thanks for the reply, still not sure how to solve this. Even with respect to time I can't see how the formulas can be setup to find the plate dimensions (A) without having d, or E.
:confused:

So,

ΔQ/Δt = εA ΔE/Δt by your differentiation

and you're given:

ΔQ/Δt = 0.80x10^-8A ; and ΔE/Δt = 1.5x10^6 V/m/s

:rolleyes:

1. What is the relationship between [phi]E and Id in a capacitor?

The electric field strength, [phi]E, and the displacement current, Id, are directly proportional in a capacitor. This means that as one increases, the other also increases.

2. How do you calculate the dimension of a capacitor using [phi]E and Id?

The dimension of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the displacement current, Id, by the electric field strength, [phi]E. This will give the unit of Farads (F), which is the unit of capacitance.

3. Can the dimension of a capacitor be negative?

No, the dimension of a capacitor cannot be negative. Capacitance is a physical property of a capacitor that represents its ability to store electric charge, and it cannot have a negative value.

4. Are there any other factors that affect the dimension of a capacitor?

Yes, the dimension of a capacitor also depends on its physical properties such as the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used.

5. How does the dimension of a capacitor affect its performance?

The dimension of a capacitor affects its performance by determining how much charge it can store and how quickly it can discharge. A higher dimension (or capacitance) means the capacitor can store more charge and can discharge more slowly, while a lower dimension means the opposite.