Using a Telescope: 30X Power for Planets & Moons

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter m~ray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    telescope
In summary: This way, one can view objects at various distances and see the detail as if it were in close proximity.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Before you pay for that Tasco telescoope, may I suggest you read the "Important. Planning to buy first telescope?" in this subforum. (Look just above your post) This is a great place to get consumer reports on telescopes.

I have used that same Tasco you linked to. It was so unstable that looking at a star cluster was out of the question. The moon's details were blurred, and, in the daytime, even a nearby bird was hard to see. My personal opinion is "don't buy that one".

Also, check out this link:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/equipment/basics

That telescope is about right for the price, which is less than $10 if I'm reading the page correctly. Remember the phrase, "You get what you pay for".

OOPS! I misread the price at the website and mis-took Rupees for dollars! Excuse me, please! For that price of less than TEN DOLLARS I would then say: Yes, buy that telescope!

Buying optics like this one is guaranteed to be disappointing at any price. A nice 8 x 50 binocular will be much more pleasurable, and you will probably keep it for years. The milky way viewed through these can be breathtaking.

The problem with owning a small telescope is so many photographs of astronomical objects are published taken with 10 meter telescopes with adaptive optics on mountain tops that one tends to be dissapointed that ones own views are nothing like as good so don't expect too much !

thanks for the replies... i think the magnification factor isn't that bad but objective lens aperture is too small to allow much of light to enter.. :(

m~ray said:
thanks for the replies... i think the magnification factor isn't that bad but objective lens aperture is too small to allow much of light to enter.. :(

That plus it's not big enough to even allow for a decent zoom. The larger the aperture the further you can zoom in before you hit the diffraction limit. Once you hit the limit further magnification does nothing but make a bigger blurry image.

I think every one should understand that for astronomical use, diameter of objective lens or mirror is far more important that magnification. Indeed, typically, one uses a variety of eyepieces with different focal lengths that give different magnifications.

What is a telescope and how does it work?

A telescope is a scientific instrument used to observe distant objects in space. It works by using a combination of lenses and mirrors to collect and focus light from these objects, making them appear larger and clearer to the observer.

What is the magnification power of a 30X telescope?

The 30X power of a telescope means that it can magnify an object up to 30 times its original size. This is achieved by using a combination of lenses with different focal lengths.

What can I expect to see with a 30X telescope?

With a 30X telescope, you can expect to see detailed views of planets and their moons, as well as some brighter deep-sky objects such as star clusters and nebulae. However, the clarity and visibility of these objects may also depend on atmospheric conditions and the quality of the telescope.

Do I need any special skills to use a 30X telescope for observing planets and moons?

No special skills are required to use a 30X telescope for observing planets and moons. However, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the telescope's operation and to have a basic understanding of the night sky and celestial objects.

What are some tips for using a 30X telescope for observing planets and moons?

To get the best views with a 30X telescope, it is recommended to find a location with minimal light pollution and to use a stable mount or tripod for the telescope. Also, allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness for at least 20 minutes before observing and use eyepieces with different focal lengths to adjust the magnification as needed.