The Third Road to Quantum Gravity

In summary, the Third Road to Quantum Gravity is a path that is not about applying existing principles to a new model of quantum gravity, but instead is about understanding what we mean by observation and quantum geometry at a fundamental level. This path is pursued by experts in logic who reside in math departments.
Careful

You have voiced your objections and are no longer adding value to this thread. The first points above would be more appropriate on a thread that discusses your own, clearly superior, ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kea said:
Careful
You have voiced your objections and are no longer adding value to this thread. The first points above would be more appropriate on a thread that discusses your own, clearly superior, ideas.
Your answer clearly expresses that there is nothing to it yet otherwise you could give a clear and unambiguous answer. :zzz: BTW, some of my ideas concering QM were already discussed on the quantum mechanics forum. I shall not bother you anymore in your self promotion activities. :yuck: It is clearly a waste of my time.

Last edited:
Careful said:
Oh yeh, I did, but you started off bad. You referred:
``The Computational Universe: Quantum gravity from quantum computation
Seth Lloyd
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0501135´´ [Broken]
If you look up the word CRACKPOTISM 2005, this paper should be in the top ten. It is not only utterly naive, but it contains elementary mistakes as well.

the quantum computational approach is currently the most fruitful and promissing thing to happen to cosmology since the discovery of the Big Bang- you stand practically alone amongst all professional scientists in your disreguard of Seth's Thesis-

here is a section of my recent "IT from qubit" article:

...given the nature of Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Computers the next logical step was obviously the search for a theory Quantum Gravity through Quantum Computational Cosmology- in essence to recognize that quantum computers are harnessing Nature’s own processes and that the Cosmos itself should be described as a quantum computation!

Seth Lloyd and others in the field of Quantum Computational Cosmology conjecture that the 'correct' theory-of everything for our universe will be solved through universal quantum computation: “Computational universality allows a quantum computer to give rise to all possible computable structures... such a universal quantum computer that computes all possible results, weighted by their algorithmic amplitude, preferentially produces simple dynamical laws. Our own universe apparently obeys simple dynamical laws, and could plausibly be produced by such a universal quantum computer.” –Seth Lloyd- obviously the implications of this transcend even the most fantastical Virtual Reality and Time–travel concepts-

Lloyd conjectures that these physical laws will be a form of Quantum Gravity emergent from the computation of a Quantum Cellular Automaton embedded in a lattice of quantum logic gates with 4 connections [2 inputs/ 2 outputs]- this automatically establishes by it's inherent structure a 4D spacetime metric with 1 degree of freedom establishing a causal hierarchy between universe-states corresponding to the causal structure of spacetime which emerges as Time/Causality/ sets the covariant entropy bound/ and establishes the information bound that shapes the structure/ rules/ evolution of physical systems and begins to resolve the mystery of why/how time/the quantum geometric limit/ and the entropy/information bounds are complementarily interrelated!

which means the old idea of a theory-of-everything that you can print on a T-shirt is within view! the correct theory of QG [or whatever the correct theory[ies] is/are] could easily be expressed as the eigenvalues of a Quantum Cellular Automaton formulated as an algorithm for a 2input/2output quantum logic-gate matrix-

some more research in Quantum Computational Cosmology:

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0506113
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0502166
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0403057
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0503073
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0505064
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0510052
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0412076

Crackpotism indead! within a decade or two we will be able to run quantum algorithmic versions of all of our cosmological theories on a quantum computer and examine their hilbert spaces to determine if spacetimes like ours are a possible result- if we run versions of String Theory and LQG and nothing like our world results- then those theories can immediately be tossed and forgotton! decades of conjecture settled and disgarded in a lazy afternoon-

this technology is actually making theory obsolete- or rather it is transorfming theoretical physics into reverse engineering! the future of theoretical science will be very different when anyone can check their theories against the Universe itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, setAI. It was my opinion that we should probably just ignore this empty tirade, rather than encourage it.

Kea said:
Thank you, setAI. It was my opinion that we should probably just ignore this empty tirade, rather than encourage it.
I actually *know* that I am far from being alone in the professional society with my opinion here. :biggrin: That the quantum computing community wants to self promote some own ``ideas´´ (because there really is no theory) concerning QG is only natural (and can indeed lead to such proposals). Again, I actually read the paper *in detail* (which was hard to do because he uses obscure constructions); before you SetAI make such quotations, you might (actually should) do the same effort (in the same way I guess Kea did not read it either).

Cheers,

Careful

I would like to propose something to the different antagonists here which - I hope - will calm down spirits (or attract me a lot of trouble :-). I'm working in much more applied domains and I have to say that I cannot even follow technically several discussions around here. Nevertheless, I notice something that I consider a fundamental problem in attitude (which you do not find in other branches of science to my knowledge).

I think it is fair to say that all attempts to unify general relativity and quantum theory are more or less embryonic attempts at formulating a possible frame for a future, speculative theory. No real *theory* exists, which clearly leads to the quantum theory we know of on one hand, and to general relativity on the other, without ambiguities ; and even if such a theory one day would emerge, one should keep in mind that it is still a totally speculative endeavour.

Given the situation, two points - I think - can be made:

1) all good ideas are welcome! Nevertheless, one shouldn't forget what Feynman set out as his attitude in scientific endevour: if you have an idea, you should try, by all means, to show that it DOESN'T work. You shouldn't try to show that it works, but you should rather try to find why it doesn't work. It is only when you've tried that, honestly, in all possible ways, and you *do not find a single way to show that your idea is flawed*, that you can show it to others, who are then supposed to do exactly the same.
It is my personal impression that a lot of people working on different ideas on the unification between general relativity and quantum theory do not play that game, but rather the opposite ; that they try to convince others that their idea WILL OVERCOME all eventual troubles, and they seem to be hostile to the "normal" attitude of other scientists, which is: trying to find why the idea cannot work. I cannot undo myself from the impression that the ideas in this field are usually *strongly* oversold ; I think more self-critique is due when presenting ideas.

2) one should keep an open mind. Although it requires of course some "faith" in the idea you're working on to keep being motivated, it should not turn into a religious war. One shouldn't feel "attacked" by any other scientist who tries to point out where your idea has a problem ; in fact, normally you should have thought of it yourself and have the answer ready, and if not, you should be grateful that somebody is pointing it out for you. The attitude I have often seen has been rather to close oneself up into different "sects" where the only thing that counts is the *promotion* of the dogma at hand, and the denial of the validity of others' critiques or approaches. Although psychologically understandable, I think it leads to uselessly nasty and unproductive discussions.

So let's get back to "normal" scientific discussion which consists in:
1) pointing out where one sees a serious problem in the other person's ideas and where
2) that other person has already considered the objection and knows the answer to it (in which case the first author of the critique learns something) OR where the one pointing out a new idea is confronted with a critique he didn't think of, which sends him back to the drawing board.

Amen :biggrin:

vanesch said:
I would like to propose something to the different antagonists here which - I hope - will calm down spirits (or attract me a lot of trouble :-). I'm working in much more applied domains and I have to say that I cannot even follow technically several discussions around here. Nevertheless, I notice something that I consider a fundamental problem in attitude (which you do not find in other branches of science to my knowledge).
Amen :biggrin:
I fully agree : let me refer people to a discussion I had with Vanesch on the philosophy forum concering consciousness in the MWI to QM. Although it is clear that I think that it stinks, I still acknowledge that it is a logical and consistent approach (although not complete) which does the trick (and in the mean time we had fun driving each other nuts :tongue2:). To add a further comment to what Patrick says here: I think he and I agree that it is of extreme importance to have a *physical* theory which produces falsifiable results in a reasonable amount of time (say 5 years). Actually, I would add that the production of an experimentally refuted theory which is based upon clear physical principles actually teaches us *more* than talking about a theory which either does not exist, makes no predictions at all or is not logically well founded. As a string non believer, I must nevertheless admit that string theory is the most logical game in town we have so far (a weakness is that it did not produce any physical result so far of course :smile:, but none of the nonperturbative approaches did either.). I would like to invite Kea to do her best and try to give one detailed example with dynamics (if possible) which makes her *believe* in what she does. It is clear that I dismissed the category approach some time ago for good reasons based upon concrete calculations within what you would expect to be the most ``reasonable kinematical category´´ on which to define a dynamics. However, I would not object consideration of an honest example without the addition of buzz words.

Cheers,

Careful

Careful said:
I must nevertheless admit that string theory is the most logical game in town we have so far...

This is String theory.

Reference:
The Anthropic Landscape of String Theory
L. Susskind
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0302219

Perhaps it is about time that, in regard to the Third Road approach to String theory, we thought about some of the physical aspects of the landscape.

When a physicist of the calibre of Weinberg accepts the notion of an anthropic principle, one should take the science behind the idea seriously. The question is: how might one retain the landscape and yet do away with the ludicrous notion of anthropicity? Is this possible at all?

The Third Road would say that the notion that the multitude of vacua exists, in any objective sense, is erroneous. What we observe depends very much on the context of the experiment. So, until we are capable of devising experiments that step outside the conditions under which we are used to operating, we should not be at all surprised that reality has the appearance of magically fitting parameters that could, according to the standard picture, take on many other values.

There is a big challenge here: to rigorously derive the landscape in a category theoretic framework, and hence show that it is possible to place constraints upon it which give it predictive power.

Looking at Susskind's article:

This change in viewpoint is demanded by two facts, one observational and one theoretical. The first is that the expansion of the universe is accelerating...The second fact is that some recent progress has been made in exploring the landscape.

This statement is followed by a definition of the landscape. Let the landscape be parameterised by a collection of fields such that the value of [itex]V(\mathbf{\phi})[/itex] at a vacuum point gives the cosmological constant [itex]\Lambda[/itex] for the vacuum. Special SUSY vacua with [itex]V \equiv 0[/itex] form a flat subspace within the hilly landscape, replete with great cliffs (domain walls) and mountain passes.

Hopefully the reader can see that already at this point the landscape picture is beginning to make all sorts of assumptions about the nature of a multitude of universes as if they actually exist. Moreover, these assumptions have been made within the context of standard M-theory, ie. with the addition of no new physical principles.

Susskind then goes on to discuss how vacua may be parameterised by
sets of integers which arise from different ways of wrapping things around compactified dimensions. It turns out to be possible to recover the Standard Model (!) with a small positive [itex]\Lambda[/itex] by exploring this landscape.

OK. So to do away with the landscape rigorously we just have to begin by recovering the SM from a fully working M-theory... Sigh. It always comes down to that. :zzz:

Thanks for the plug, Kea. Mazur has greatly influenced my admittedly naive ideas. I've never actually mentioned that on PF, and I am, well, shocked you made the connection [is it not a truly brilliant treatise?] You scare me sometimes.

Careful, you make good points. But, your criticism of Kea was disturbing and misinformed, in my opinion. She is one of the most tolerant and forgiving people on PF, along with SelfAdjoint. That aside, I am a huge fan of QIT. Not sure if that is the third road, or the fourth road, but, I'm convinced it is the right road.

ps. I forgot to mention the excellent contributions SetAI and Vanesch made to this discussion.

Last edited:
Careful, you make good points. But, your criticism of Kea was disturbing and misinformed, in my opinion. She is one of the most tolerant and forgiving people on PF, along with SelfAdjoint. That aside, I am a huge fan of QIT. Not sure if that is the third road, or the fourth road, but, I'm convinced it is the right road. **

I do not think so, I shall read the Masur paper (but at first glance it seems like an introduction to the playground of category theory accompanied with some philosophical remarks towards physics). My comments are still very adequate since I come up with CONCRETE evidence that all these generalizations probably have very little applicability (but again, nobody cares).

Careful said:
...but at first glance it seems like an introduction to the playground of category theory accompanied with some philosophical remarks towards physics...

Indeed! We confess. :smile:

Looks like hand-waving to me. I see more mud than cement.

Chronos said:
Looks like hand-waving to me. I see more mud than cement.
Dear Chronos,

I would kindly request you to take a look at the Ambjorn - Durhuus book about ``quantum gravity´´ (especially the Euclidean part is very useful) and then read up a bit more on the Lorentzian ``quantum gravity´´ formulation within dynamical triangulations. You might also want to study the Sorkin-Rideout classical dynamics for causal sets. Then, you might notice that only in CDT, the *dimension* comes out right :wink: (even a ridiculous observable like dimension poses great difficulties - and so far there are not more substantial results). In the spin foam, I am not even aware that *any* such results exists (not even a negative one). Next, you might want to gain some understanding of WHY this is so difficult and then see if your opinion deviates from mine.

To repeat myself: category theory is a beautiful abstraction (I was once seduced by medusa too :biggrin:), but anyone who is announcing that it could very well be successful is either ignorant of these results, or is not willing to consider them. Ignorance is not bad at all (happens to me every day), however unwillingness (to listen) is stupid. I am still willing to listen if Kea comes up with a concrete example (she basically just said: ``string theory´´).

Cheers,

Careful

setAI said:
the quantum computational approach is currently the most fruitful and promissing thing to happen to cosmology since the discovery of the Big Bang
Absolutely fascinating reading! Thank you so much for this list of articles. Excuse my lazyness, if there already is one and I haven't spotted it, but is there a thread dedicated to quantum computation? If not, can somebody qualified start it with a decent introduction for nonexperts?

I have just listened to a few lectures from the Perimeter Institute and I am in awe of what has develeped out of EPR and quantum entanglement.

It is not that I have completely missed on developments, I read about the quantum teleportation, for example, but I have never connected the dots.

I find Seth Lloyd's approach very appealing. Time to forget those almost century old images of clocks and rods in space, with spaceship explosions as the events :bugeye:

Tony

Last edited:
I have just listened to a few lectures from the Perimeter Institute and I am in awe of what has develeped out of EPR and quantum entanglement. **
NOTHING PRACTICAL has been developped so far (that is main critique people have about the research on entanglement - quantum computers are a dream until now). Microsoft reported recently some sucess AFAIR, but I am not at all convinced that this is QUANTUM (people tend to forget that classical correlations can be as high (as quantum ones) on sales of 1/10'th of a meter where you cannot exclude spacetime locality for realistic measurements).

** I find Seth Lloyd's approach very appealing. **

Read the section about spacetime reconstruction from the quantum computing process and tell me wether this is mathematically correct or not (I could equally ask you how many mistakes it contains). :tongue2:

**Time to forget those almost century old images of clocks and rods in space, with spaceship explosions as the events :bugeye:
Tony **

Really :cry: What do we have to believe in then? In infinite dimensional ghost spaces where god is playing dice but only allows us to see a four dimensional projection of this russian roulette ?

Careful said:
What do we have to believe in then? In infinite dimensional ghost spaces where god is playing dice but only allows us to see a four dimensional projection of this russian roulette?

Not a bad way of putting it! But a little better: in what we can measure and in what we can compute.

Kea said:
Not a bad way of putting it! But a little better: in what we can measure and in what we can compute.
Sorry, but a local realist would agree with that as well (so that is not a good characterization of QM) ! :smile: The question is whether the framework *underlying* the ``operational´´ machinery (i.e. the wavefunction in QM) as well as the measurement itself (the reduction in QM) is locally causal in spacetime or not. I was simply making a bit of fun of how huge Plato's quantum mechanical cave is in comparison to seize of the shadowworld.

Careful said:
NOTHING PRACTICAL has been developped so far (that is main critique people have about the research on entanglement - quantum computers are a dream until now).
Putting aside already aviable commercial quantum crypthographical devices (IDQuantique of N. Gisin and MagiQ), if you consider knowledge alone to be practical (at least in principle) then that's a bit of b-s what you are saying here, Careful. During the study of quantum information and entanglement people did learn quite a few new things about quantum mechanics: there is something in quantum states that bears some signs of "reality" and, for the lack of a better name, is labeled quantum information. I can understand that the language they speak in QIT sounds weird, much like engineering (my background is in GR)- convex sums, entropies, information content,etc - but no theory is born already in its final form. Also, I don't claim quantum info is *the way* (I fully agree with your view on Lloyd's paper but he is pretty isolated in his aspirations).
As for classical realism and stuff, my personal view on LHV and Bell-like theorems is that it simply states that quantum statistics cannot be simulated by local classical statistics. That's it. People try to inferr too much from this fact. I referr to Werner & Wolf's excellent paper on Bell stuff: quant-ph/0107093.
-jarek

**Putting aside already aviable commercial quantum crypthographical devices (IDQuantique of N. Gisin and MagiQ), if you consider knowledge alone to be practical (at least in principle) then that's a bit of b-s what you are saying here, Careful. **

Quantum cryptography is not equal to quantum computing, and again the question is wether this is QUANTUM or classical (and that is not clear at all).

**During the study of quantum information and entanglement people did learn quite a few new things about quantum mechanics: there is something in quantum states that bears some signs of "reality" and, for the lack of a better name, is labeled quantum information.**
I can understand that the language they speak in QIT sounds weird, much like engineering (my background is in GR)- convex sums, entropies, information content,etc - but no theory is born already in its final form. **

No, this language is not weird at all (I have been doing some quantum entropy myself - in my masters time - before I went to do real physics, ie. GR :biggrin: ). I deliberatly reacted so sharp because people seem to already have decided that the correlations obtained in such processes cannot be obtained by any *classical* means (on the appropriate distance scales). So, the question wether this quantum information is really so quantum in the sense that no underlying realistic theory can account for the correlations (or wether these correlations really can be obtained in practical situations) remains to be seen. Nevertheless, I acknowledge that gaining further insight is valuable when you later apply it to the relevant distance scales.

**Also, I don't claim quantum info is *the way* (I fully agree with your view on Lloyd's paper but he is pretty isolated in his aspirations). **

Good, that is sensible.

**As for classical realism and stuff, my personal view on LHV and Bell-like theorems is that it simply states that quantum statistics cannot be simulated by local classical statistics. **

Well, that depends upon the distance scales you consider. For example local classical statistics can be exactly the same as quantum statistics on those distance scales where the separability assumption cannot be made. That is one reason why I have good hopes for local realism.

Cheers,

Careful

Careful said:
Quantum cryptography is not equal to quantum computing, and again the question is wether this is QUANTUM or classical (and that is not clear at all).

Not equal, but cryptography (in the modern incarnation) *heavily* uses entanglement (like evesdropping detectiion, NOT POSSIBLE classically) and your objection concerned practical benefits from studying entanglement. It is QUANTUM ...:frown:

Careful said:
No, this language is not weird at all (I have been doing some quantum entropy myself - in my masters time - before I went to do real physics, ie. GR :biggrin: ).

I moved in the other direction :tongue2:

Careful said:
I deliberatly reacted so sharp because people seem to already have decided that the correlations obtained in such processes cannot be obtained by any *classical* means (on the appropriate distance scales). So, the question wether this quantum information is really so quantum in the sense that no underlying realistic theory can account for the correlations (or wether these correlations really can be obtained in practical situations) remains to be seen.
Careful said:
Well, that depends upon the distance scales you consider. For example local classical statistics can be exactly the same as quantum statistics on those distance scales where the separability assumption cannot be made. That is one reason why I have good hopes for local realism.
Cheers,
Careful

Not really understand what do you mean by your "scales" and "separability assumption", but if you referr to Bell-type experiments then let me just comment that they have been succesively closing the remaining locality and efficiency loopholes (ions give 95+% eff. and they change setups fast enough to exclude causal interaction). The subject seems to be still quite active though...but that belongs to another thread.

-jarek

Last edited:
**Not equal, but cryptography (in the modern incarnation) *heavily* uses entanglement (like evesdropping detectiion, NOT POSSIBLE classically) and your objection concerned practical benefits from studying entanglement. It is QUANTUM ...:frown: **

In theory, yes, but in practice probably not :frown:

I moved in the other direction :tongue2:

Ah, mistakes are there to be forgiven :rofl:

Not really understand what do you mean by your "scales" and "separability assumption", **

The separability assumption indeed means that no causal contact is possible and that both ``particles´´ can be assumed to move independently which is not possible in experiments where both detectors are less than 1/10'th of a metre apart (because detection times are like 3 nanoseconds).

**but if you referr to Bell-type experiments then let me just comment that they have been succesively closing the remaining locality and efficiency loopholes (ions give 95+% eff. and they change setups fast enough to exclude causal interaction).**

And that in ONE experiment ?? If that were true then there would be no reason for Bell type experiments anymore so I guess it is false. In the other case, please give me the reference which must necessarily date from 2005 :-) ).

Cheers,

Careful

Last edited:
Careful said:
Ah, mistakes are there to be forgiven

The time will show :tongue2:

Careful said:
And that in ONE experiment ?? If that were true then there would be no reason for Bell type experiments anymore so I guess it is false. In the other case, please give me the reference which must necessarily date from 2005 :-) ).

I didn't say that in one experiment, that's why the field is still active. There has been a proposal of Fry to do such an experiment (with Hg+ ions), but as far as I know he hasn't done it yet (I heard him in 2001, but I think the idea is much older).
There are also another experimental methods of detecting entanglement (if we speak just of entanglement and not realism stuff), like entanglement witnesses. Wineland and Blatt groups have been generating multi-ion GHZ- and W-states (the record is 8-ion W) with 70%+ fidelities. But of course producing entanglement and experimental breaking Bell ineq. are two different things.

But there are also indirect evidences for genuine QUANTUM corellations (I'm not talking about realism now). One of them is precise spectrometry, see e.g. Leibfried at al, Science 304, 1476 (2004). The idea is that they get sensitivity beyond the one predicted by in an ideal case with non-entangled particles. It is also practical, Careful, as people are working on application of entanglement enhanced spectrometers to gravity wave detectors :biggrin: what an irony, eh?.

Geee...I have never written so much on experiments since my high school (puke)
-jarek

I didn't say that in one experiment, that's why the field is still active. There has been a proposal of Fry to do such an experiment (with Hg+ ions), but as far as I know he hasn't done it yet (I heard him in 2001, but I think the idea is much older).**

Perhaps it has been done already, but the result might not have been what one hoped... :smile:

**There are also another experimental methods of detecting entanglement (if we speak just of entanglement and not realism stuff), like entanglement witnesses. Wineland and Blatt groups have been generating multi-ion GHZ- and W-states (the record is 8-ion W) with 70%+ fidelities. But of course producing entanglement and experimental breaking Bell ineq. are two different things.**

Indeed...

But there are also indirect evidences for genuine QUANTUM corellations (I'm not talking about realism now). One of them is precise spectrometry, see e.g. Leibfried at al, Science 304, 1476 (2004). The idea is that they get sensitivity beyond the one predicted by in an ideal case with non-entangled particles. **

Thanks, I shall figure that out, but I feel pretty confident that other explanations are possible :smile: Let me stress that I agree that *standard* QM needs entanglement since measurement is supposed to be something instantaneous; but I am afraid people want to push it to distance scales where this consideration is not appropriate anymore.

**It is also practical, Careful, as people are working on application of entanglement enhanced spectrometers to gravity wave detectors :biggrin: what an irony, eh?. **

Same comment, don't worry I like some good irony :biggrin:

Geee...I have never written so much on experiments since my high school (puke) **

Nah, it is good to do real physics from time to time :rofl: . I am a theorist myself but it is my sacred duty to figure out what those lab people are messing around with. Let's quit this discussion about entanglement: the outcome is always the same (make a local realist theory !). Like our friend Vanesch, I am of the opinion that one should not look for a case against local realism (it is extremely difficult and probably impossible to rule out), rather local realists should look for a unified theory (stepwise of course).

One can only learn from this. :smile:

Cheers,

Careful

Careful said:
What do we have to believe in then? In infinite dimensional ghost spaces where god is playing dice but only allows us to see a four dimensional projection of this russian roulette ?
Admit at least, that *this* at last, has some panache ! :approve: Physics finally relieved of its century-long dusty boredom :biggrin:
I really hope it stays that way !

vanesch said:
Admit at least, that *this* at last, has some panache ! :approve: Physics finally relieved of its century-long dusty boredom :biggrin:
I really hope it stays that way !
Bah, you just like too much science fiction and conscious ants :biggrin: It is clear you never calculated Feynman diagrams :-) By the way, the local realist picture is also pretty exiting (involves fast spinning clouds and so on); exit point particles, hello microscopic explosions.

Grandpa

Last edited:
Careful said:
Bah, you just like too much science fiction and conscious ants :biggrin: It is clear you never calculated Feynman diagrams :-) By the way, the local realist picture is also pretty exiting (involves fast spinning clouds and so on); exit point particles, hello microscopic explosions.
Grandpa

Pouh! Fast spinning clouds against conscious ants in superposition... What do you think will sell best ? :biggrin: Your stuff is way not crazy enough.

There appears to be a rush of papers before the holidays, such as this little one:

Gerbes and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle
J.M. Isidro
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0512241

I thought this might appeal to Careful as it looks at a classical characterisation of QM, although of course it does this via a kind of categorification.
Must go! Lots to do. :smile:

Last edited:
Susskind said:
This change in viewpoint is demanded by two facts, one observational and one theoretical. The first is that the expansion of the universe is accelerating...The second fact is that some recent progress has been made in exploring the landscape.

Now if one were forced to question the validity of the first 'fact', would the landscape be so compelling?

:smile:

Via Woit's comments I found this paper:

A Garrett Lisi

Clifford bundle formulation of BF gravity generalized to the Standard Model

http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0511120 [Broken]

Classical gravity plus standard model, with an opening toward LQG. Looks good to me!

selfAdjoint said:
Via Woit's comments I found this paper:
A Garrett Lisi
Clifford bundle formulation of BF gravity generalized to the Standard Model
http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0511120 [Broken]
Classical gravity plus standard model, with an opening toward LQG. Looks good to me!

Our PF thread started 21 November about this paper
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=100984

we began talking about Garrett's but at post #7 Torsten Helge was introduced and we veered off onto that.

However Garrett's paper was the OP topic, so we could resume it if you want

Thanks for the heads-up, Marcus. Sorry about the mixup. I'm away from home, and won't have an opportunity to digest the paper till next week. I'll post something on the thread then.