Compounding interest formula going awry

In summary, the formula for the amount in the account after T years, with a deposit of Po dollars and annual interest rate r, compounded continuously and withdrawals at a rate of 200t, is P(t) = Po * e^(rt) - 200t. When r = 0.1 and Po = $5000, the question asks when the account will be empty. However, the function does not cross zero, indicating that the account will never be empty. For the case of Po = $20,000 and r = 0.1, the amount in the account will stay constant, but plotting the function yields a different result. The differential equation for net principal increase is dP/dt = Pr -
Locoism
If Po dollars are deposited in an account paying r percent compounded continuously and withdrawals are at a rate of 200t (continuously), what is the amount after T years?

I derived the formula by taking the limit as m -> ∞ of the compounding interest equation P(t) = Po(1+r/m)^mt which gives us P(t) = Po*e^rt. So including the withdrawal rate

- P(t) = Po * e^rt - 200t

And that would be the amount in the account after T years. But my question asks, if r = .1 and Po = $5000, when will the account be empty? My function doesn't cross zero, and I don't understand where I made the mistake.

Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
If withdrawals are done at a rate of 200t, then isn't the total amount of money withdrawn between time 0 and t 100t2?

Sorry, the question says withdrawals are at an annual rate of 200t dollars.
I thought about that, tried it out and the question still doesn't work out. I'm really worried about this one...*edit* Actually, I am an idiot. For some reason I got no real roots the first time...
*edit* However the question asks me to consider the case Po = $20 000 and r=0.1. I don't see anything special about this. Intuitively I would say the amount stays constant, but plotting it gives me something completely different...

Thank you for your support :P

Last edited:
Locoism said:
Sorry, the question says withdrawals are at an annual rate of 200t dollars.
I thought about that, tried it out and the question still doesn't work out. I'm really worried about this one...

*edit* Actually, I am an idiot. For some reason I got no real roots the first time...
*edit* However the question asks me to consider the case Po = $20 000 and r=0.1. I don't see anything special about this. Intuitively I would say the amount stays constant, but plotting it gives me something completely different...

Thank you for your support :P

The rate at which interest is accumulating is Pr, where r is the yearly interest rate divided by 100. The rate at which withdrawals are being made is 200. Therefore, the net rate at which principal is increasing is given by the differential equation:

dP/dt = Pr - 200

It seems that you have correctly derived the formula for compounding interest with continuous withdrawals. However, it is important to note that the formula assumes that the withdrawals are made at regular intervals, such as monthly or yearly. In this case, the withdrawal rate of 200t should be divided by the compounding interval, which in this case would be m=∞ (continuous compounding). So the correct formula would be P(t) = Po*e^rt - 200t/m.

Additionally, to find when the account will be empty, you can set P(t) = 0 and solve for t. This will give you the time at which the withdrawals will have depleted the account completely. It is possible that the account may never reach zero, as the compounding interest may continue to offset the withdrawals.

If you are still having trouble with your formula, I suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure all units are consistent. You can also seek assistance from a math or finance expert for further clarification.

1. What is compounding interest and how does it work?

Compounding interest is when the interest earned on an investment is added to the principal amount, and then the total amount continues to earn interest. This creates a snowball effect, as the interest earned on the interest also starts to earn interest. This can help investments grow significantly over time.

2. How is the compounding interest formula calculated?

The formula for compounding interest is A = P(1 + r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years. This formula takes into account the interest being compounded multiple times per year, rather than just once.

3. What can cause the compounding interest formula to go awry?

The compounding interest formula can go awry if there are errors in the initial values used, such as the principal amount or interest rate. It can also go awry if the frequency of compounding is incorrectly entered, or if the formula is not used correctly.

4. How can errors in the compounding interest formula be avoided?

To avoid errors in the compounding interest formula, it is important to double check all initial values and make sure they are accurate. It is also important to use the correct formula and ensure that the frequency of compounding is entered correctly. Using a calculator or computer program can also help avoid human errors in calculations.

5. Is compounding interest always beneficial?

In most cases, compounding interest can be very beneficial in growing investments over time. However, it is important to also consider factors such as inflation and taxes, which can affect the actual value of the investment. It is important to do thorough research and consult with a financial advisor before making any investment decisions.