Why Does the dy Disappear When Solving Differential Equations?

In summary, when solving equations involving derivatives, the variables can be separated and integrated on both sides to find a solution. The symbols "dx" and "dy" are simply book-keeping notations and do not actually disappear during the integration process.
Physics-Pure
Hello all~

Given the equation:
dy/dx = (x/y)
I know we would initially go to:
∫dy =∫ (x/y) dx
then too:
∫(y)(dy) = ∫x dx
Until arriving at:
(y2/2) + C1 = (x2/2) + C2
(y2) - (x2) = C

My question is:
Where does the dy disappear to in step 4? Where the anti-derivative is taken.

Why does ∫dy become just y when solving an equation of the form
dy/dx = (x2 + 1), but it disappears in the first example?

Thank you~

Physics news on Phys.org
This is, basically, wrong all the way.
First off, if you have dy/dx=x/y(x), we may rewrite this, bu multiplying both sides with y(x) as:

y(x)dy/dx=x.

Then, up to an arbitrary constant of integration, we'll have.

int((y(x)dy/dx)dx)=int(xdx).
That is integrating BOTH sides with respect to the same variable, i.e, "x".

Now, on the left-hand side, we use the reverse of the chain rule of differentiation, that is, integration by substitution, letting "y" be our integration variable.
There is no magical disappearance of any variables or infinitesemals.

arildno said:
This is, basically, wrong all the way.
First off, if you have dy/dx=x/y(x), we may rewrite this, bu multiplying both sides with y(x) as:

y(x)dy/dx=x.Now, on the left-hand side, we use the reverse of the chain rule of differentiation, that is, integration by substitution, letting "y" be our integration variable.
There is no magical disappearance of any variables or infinitesemals.

Where did that y(x) come from?
And are you saying that we let y = y(x)dy/dx)dx?

P.S. I was simply following the "Introduction to differential equations" video, under calculus. Found here: http://www.hippocampus.org/Calculus & Advanced Math;jsessionid=BAEE0BB1E88F4A594768EEBE4D8FC1EA

Why does ∫dy become just y when solving an equation of the form

Following the method presented (which is known as variables separable or separation of variables)

The answer is that ∫dy is not ∫dy it is the ∫1dy.
When you integrate this the integral of 1 is y and the dy drops out as it did in the previous example. You are not integrating the dy.
You asked why the dy drops out - well it is really a book- keeping symbol I see someone else already told you this in another thread.

You should note that the answer to your first question
Where does the dy disappear to in step 4?

is that is disappears to the same place the dx disappears to in the same line and for the same book-keeping reason.

Hello there!

I understand your confusion about the disappearance of dy in step 4. When taking the anti-derivative, we are essentially "undoing" the derivative operation. In other words, we are finding the original function that, when differentiated, would give us the given equation. In this case, the original function is y, so the dy disappears after integrating.

In the second example, ∫dy becomes just y because we are integrating with respect to y, not x. Therefore, we treat y as a constant and it does not disappear during integration. In the first example, we are integrating with respect to x, so we treat y as a variable and it disappears after integrating.

I hope this helps clarify your question. Keep up the good work with differential equations!

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that expresses the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to describe the rate of change of a system over time.

What are the types of differential equations?

The two main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation would have a maximum of first derivative, while a second-order differential equation would have a maximum of second derivative.

How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including analytical methods (e.g. separation of variables, integrating factors) and numerical methods (e.g. Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods).

What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and understand complex systems and phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.