The Sun, Electromagnetic Waves, and Gravitational Waves

In summary: No, gravitational waves travel at c. They are in the metric itself and not affected by it. Kind of how light isn't affected by electric and magnetic fields, it just goes right through them.
mef51
This is a question about electromagnetic waves and gravitational waves.

Let's say we're on the Earth and we're looking up at the sun (safely).
If the sun were --for some reason-- to violently and dramatically jerk from its position, how would we first find out?

Would we first *see* the sun move?
Or would we first detect a change in our orbit?

Would the light, the electromagnetic wave, reach us first, or would the gravitational wave reach us first? Would they happen at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know a situation where the sun would jerk from its position but I'm fairly sure that it takes around 8 minutes and 20 seconds for light to travel from the sun to Earth, so you probably wouldn't notice anything until that time had elapsed.

Changes in both gravity and electromagnetism travel at c.

mef51 said:
This is a question about electromagnetic waves and gravitational waves.

Let's say we're on the Earth and we're looking up at the sun (safely).
If the sun were --for some reason-- to violently and dramatically jerk from its position, how would we first find out?

Would we first *see* the sun move?
Or would we first detect a change in our orbit?

Would the light, the electromagnetic wave, reach us first, or would the gravitational wave reach us first? Would they happen at the same time?

Same.

Electromagnetic waves have an electric field component and a magnetic field component that are orthogonal to each other.
Is there something analogous to this with gravitational waves?

mef51 said:
Electromagnetic waves have an electric field component and a magnetic field component that are orthogonal to each other.
Is there something analogous to this with gravitational waves?

Not to my knowledge. I believe the wave is in the metric and only has one "component" if you will.

Gravitational waves have 2 independent components of the metric corresponding to the 2 possible polarizations.

Matterwave said:
Gravitational waves have 2 independent components of the metric corresponding to the 2 possible polarizations.

I assume this is different than the electric and magnetic components of an EM wave?

It is different - but you can compare it to two orthogonal polarizations of light.

mfb said:
It is different - but you can compare it to two orthogonal polarizations of light.

Got it.

Matterwave said:

LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory) was built to detect such waves...but as far as I know, they have not found anything. So at this point gravity waves are still theoretical...right?

FeynmanIsCool said:
LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory) was built to detect such waves...but as far as I know, they have not found anything. So at this point gravity waves are still theoretical...right?

I'd say so. We expect to find them as GR has been right about most observed effects so far, but we just haven't been able to locate the suckers yet!

Drakkith said:
Changes in both gravity and electromagnetism travel at c.

Wouldn't the speed of a gravitational wave depend on the mass of the object, (in this case, the sun) and the warpage of space-time?

Physicist50 said:
Wouldn't the speed of a gravitational wave depend on the mass of the object, (in this case, the sun) and the warpage of space-time?

No, gravitational waves travel at c. They are in the metric itself and not affected by it. Kind of how light isn't affected by electric and magnetic fields, it just goes right through them.

1. What is the Sun and how does it produce light?

The Sun is a star at the center of our solar system. It produces light through a process called nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms combine to form helium and release energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

2. What are electromagnetic waves and how do they travel?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is produced when an electric charge accelerates. They travel in a vacuum at the speed of light, and can travel through different materials like air, water, and even outer space.

3. How are gravitational waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime, while electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that travel through space. Gravitational waves are produced by massive objects that are accelerating, while electromagnetic waves are produced by charged particles.

4. How do we detect gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves can be detected using specialized equipment called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by the passing of a gravitational wave. The most sensitive interferometer to date is the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

5. How does the Sun's gravity affect the Earth?

The Sun's gravity keeps the Earth in orbit around it, and also causes the tides on Earth's oceans. The gravity of the Sun also plays a crucial role in maintaining the stability of our solar system, keeping the planets in their respective orbits.