4nd order differential eq

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Euler-Bernoulli equation numerically using a C++ library. This requires turning the higher order ODE into a system of first order ODEs and rearranging the initial conditions accordingly. The shooting method can then be applied to solve the system of four ODEs. An example is given to illustrate the process of turning a second order ODE into a system of first order ODEs.
pgioun
Hi,
I want to solve the Euler-Bernoulli eq numerically using a c++ library.

EI [itex]y^{4}[/itex](x)=f(x), y(0)=0,y'(0)=0,y(L)=0,y'(L)=0.

where L is the length of the beam and the initial conditions are for a cantilever.

In order to achieve that I have to make it a set of 1st ode.
How this system of 1st order ode would be like and how the initial conditions
should be rearranged?

How should the shooting method be applied to this system of 4 odes problem?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To turn a higher order ODE into a system of first order ODEs you just define new variables which are equal to derivatives of the variable you want to solve for.

Here's an example with a second order ODE:

$$y''(x) + y'(x) - y (x) = f(x)$$

To make this a system of first order ODEs, define ##u(x)= y'(x)##. Then, it immediately follows that ##u'(x) = y''(x) = -y'(x) + y(x) = -u(x) + y(x)##. The system of equations is thus

$$\begin{eqnarray*}
y'(x) & = & u(x) \\
u'(x) & = & -u(x) + y(x)
\end{eqnarray*}$$

This is generally how you want your system of ODEs to look: ##v_i'(x) = f_i(x,v_1(x),v_2(x),\dots,v_i(x),\dots,v_n(x))##. In the example above, n = 2 and ##v_1 = y,~v_2 = u##. In your case, n = 4.

If this problem had initial conditions ##y(0) = 0,~y'(0)=1##, this would correspond to ##y(0)=0,u(0)=1##.

Now try it with your ODE.

1. What is a 4th order differential equation?

A 4th order differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that contains a function and its derivatives up to the 4th order. It is often used to model complex physical systems, such as vibrations and oscillations.

2. How do you solve a 4th order differential equation?

Solving a 4th order differential equation involves finding the general solution, which is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. This can be done using various methods such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms.

3. What are the applications of 4th order differential equations?

4th order differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used to model motion, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and many other physical systems.

4. How is a 4th order differential equation different from a 2nd or 3rd order one?

A 4th order differential equation is different from a 2nd or 3rd order one in terms of the number of derivatives present in the equation. A 2nd order equation has up to 2 derivatives, a 3rd order equation has up to 3 derivatives, and a 4th order equation has up to 4 derivatives.

5. Can a 4th order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a 4th order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a 4th order equation contains 4 arbitrary constants, which can take on different values to produce different solutions. However, the number of solutions can vary depending on the initial conditions given for the equation.