Is the Square Root of 2 Irrational?

• Thread starter mathwonk
  • Start date
In summary, the two proofs use different methods to get to the same result that sqrt(2) is not rational. The first proof uses prime factorization while the second uses the fact that all non-squares have a unique factorization into prime numbers.
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Have you seen this argument? If sqrt(2) = p/q is in lowest terms, then also 2/1 = p^2/q^2 is in lowest terms. Since lowest terms is unique, p^2 = 2 and q^2 = 1. Thus sqrt(2) is the integer p. But 1^2 is too small, 2^2 is too big and all the resta re even bigger, so this is false. So sqrt(2) is not rational.

does anyone have a shorter one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope.I've known this proof from 6-th grade.Learnt it in school.It's much nicer (though roughly equivalent) than the one with prime factors...

Daniel.

boy you had a good 6th grade teacher!

A better proof, perhaps, and one that works for all non-squares.

let sqrt(x) = p/q, then xq^2=p^2, counting primes with multiplicity, unless x is a perfect square there will be an odd number of prime factors of the left hand side and an even number of the right handside

thats a nice proof, but when i first saw that as a student i didn't understand it, so i came up with the one above as using fewer tools, or at least apparently so.

moreover, doesn't the first proof above also work on all non squares? I.e. if p/q = sqrt(n) is in lowest terms, then so also is p^2/q^2 = n/1, so p^2 = n, and hence n is a perfect square.

of course both proofs rest on exactly the same fact, uniqueness of factorization into primes.

I just don't like using fractions unnecessarily.

chaque a son gout. but you do not mind using prime factorization.

To me it seems rather hard to avoid fractions in discussing rational numbers, but i agree the correct first step in a problem involving fractions is normally to remove them.

Last edited:
This may be the same argument as you're using, don't know really. Assume that sqrt(2) is rational, then we have p and q such as sqrt(2) = p/q. This gived 2 = p^2/q^2. But since gcd(p,q)=1 then p^2/q^2 isn't an integer unless q=1. This gives the equation 2 = p^2 with integers, no integer can solve this equation, and hence sqrt(2) cannot be rational.

mathwonk said:
thats a nice proof, but when i first saw that as a student i didn't understand it, so i came up with the one above as using fewer tools, or at least apparently so.

moreover, doesn't the first proof above also work on all non squares? I.e. if p/q = sqrt(n) is in lowest terms, then so also is p^2/q^2 = n/1, so p^2 = n, and hence n is a perfect square.

of course both proofs rest on exactly the same fact, uniqueness of factorization into primes.

would it not be:

p^2 = nq^2

?

well if p^2 /q^2 = n/1, and the left side is known to be in lowest terms, and if the lowest terms form of a fraction is unique, then since the right side n/1 is obviously also in lowest terms, then the two fractions must be equal, i.e;. they must have the same top and same bottom.

Since the tops are equal, p^2 = n.

so of course you are right, that p^2 = nq^2, but in fact also q^2 = 1.

I've heard that the nth root of 2 (n an integer, greater than or equal to 2) is irrational. How would one prove that?

Have you tried applying the same technique?

1. What is the irrationality of sqrt(2)?

The irrationality of sqrt(2) means that it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it is a non-repeating, non-terminating decimal that cannot be written as a fraction.

2. How do you prove that sqrt(2) is irrational?

The proof for the irrationality of sqrt(2) is often known as the "proof by contradiction" or "reductio ad absurdum". It involves assuming that sqrt(2) is rational, and then showing that this leads to a contradiction. Therefore, it must be irrational.

3. Why is the irrationality of sqrt(2) important in mathematics?

The irrationality of sqrt(2) is important because it is one of the first numbers proven to be irrational, setting the foundation for the proof of other irrational numbers. It also has many applications in geometry, number theory, and other areas of mathematics.

4. Can sqrt(2) be approximated by rational numbers?

Yes, sqrt(2) can be approximated by rational numbers. For example, 1.4 and 1.5 are both rational numbers that are close approximations of sqrt(2). However, it can never be expressed as an exact rational number.

5. Is there a general method to determine if a number is irrational?

No, there is no general method to determine if a number is irrational. However, there are certain properties and characteristics that can be used to identify irrational numbers, such as non-repeating and non-terminating decimal expansions.