Book/website for basic overview of computers

• Thread starter 3.141592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation participants are discussing recommendations for a book or website that provides a general overview of computers, including hardware and software. They are looking for a resource that is not too basic but not too technical, and includes both conceptual and practical information. One participant mentions a book for programming, but they are not sure how to apply it to their computer. They are not looking for a job in computing, but just want to understand more about computers and be able to do more with their own. A suggestion is made to read Wikipedia for information on computers.
Hi all,

I wondered if you would mind recommending a book or website for getting a general (think broad rather than deep) overview of computers? I'm interested in both hardware and software.

My background is that I am happy to use them for the stuff I do i.e. knocking up something basic on powerpoint, word, browsing, the usual emailing or watching stuff online, skype, downloading/uploading etc. So I don't need something that starts from scratch like "This is the mouse. The mouse controls the cursor. The cursor is the little icon on screen via which you interact with the stuff on screen..." But I don't know much more than your average recreational user and non-computing uni student.

I don't mind some theory - in fact I quite like the conceptual stuff about how it all works - but I also would like to not be like, 'Uh wuuuut?' when people talk about presumably basic practical technical stuff or suggest as a solution to a problem, 'have you configured x, y and z?'. So e.g. I know that the processor is like the brain of the computer and the faster the processor the faster you can do stuff, and more processors mean doing doing more things at once at greater speed (yes?) but that's about it, and technical details I have no idea. What is the registry? No idea. The difference between 64-bit and 32-bit? No idea. Etc.

If it's of use, I got the free book 'Invent your own games with Python' written for kids, since I know no programming. Obviously the maths etc. in it is for kids but as for loops and what a function is (in computing) it's all new to me. So if you know this book, something starting at that level for an overview would be good.

In fact, that's one reason why I ask. I don't know how to write a program that can do anything simple to anything on my computer, like a folder or a photo etc. I can only make the little black box (command prompt?) come up with text, take some text in and spit something simple back out. I tried to download some games from the pygame website and all I get is a folder with lots of sub-folders of snippets of code, or text docs, or pictures, and don't know where to go from there.

So you see I'm not very savvy!

I use Windows 7 and am not looking to get a job in computing, I just would like to know more about the theory of comptuers and be able to do more - and more interesting - things with my own computer. Would you suggest a book on Windows 7 operating system for example or is this a waste of time?

Sorry for the long post; I figured some background would help you to avoid pitching something too simple/technical.

Thanks a lot.

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is the best book or website for a basic overview of computers?

One of the most highly recommended books for a basic overview of computers is "Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software" by Charles Petzold. As for websites, "Computer Hope" and "HowStuffWorks" both offer comprehensive explanations and tutorials on various computer-related topics.

2. Are there any free resources available for learning about computers?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning about computers. Some popular options include online tutorials, YouTube videos, and open-source textbooks.

3. What topics should be covered in a basic overview of computers?

A basic overview of computers should cover topics such as computer hardware, software, operating systems, programming languages, computer networks, and basic troubleshooting techniques.

4. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge or experience in order to understand a book or website about computers?

No, most books and websites about computers are designed for beginners and do not require any prior knowledge or experience. However, having a basic understanding of math and logic can be helpful for understanding some concepts.

5. Can a basic overview of computers be helpful for non-technical individuals?

Yes, a basic overview of computers can be helpful for non-technical individuals as it can provide a better understanding of how computers work and how they are used in various industries. It can also help individuals make more informed decisions when purchasing or using computer technology.