Random variables and Random processes.

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand concepts related to communication system engineering and is looking for resources with concrete examples to help them understand better. They also have a specific question about applying a gaussian pdf to a half wave rectifier and are looking for assistance in solving it.
iHavoc
I didn't post this in the probability section cause the questions I have are more regarded to communication system engineering.

I haven't actually been able to wrap my head around these concepts mainly cause all the study material I use have these really ambiguous explanations of each concept wherein, no physical examples are given. This whole thing seems very abstract, nothing seems intuitive.

I can't establish links between the concepts, EVERYTHING seems new and it feels like there is no relation between one another.

For example:

There was this question where a random variable that follows a gaussian pdf with μ = 0, and variance = σ, is applied to a half wave rectifier. Find the PDF of the output.

I honestly have NO idea on how to go about solving it, it just seems like nothing I've read so far can really help me with this.

It would be awesome if someone could recommend a good book or link me to course material where a few examples are solved so I can understand what's going on.

Engineering news on Phys.org
iHavoc said:
For example:

There was this question where a random variable that follows a gaussian pdf with μ = 0, and variance = σ, is applied to a half wave rectifier. Find the PDF of the output.

I honestly have NO idea on how to go about solving it, it just seems like nothing I've read so far can really help me with this. [
I'd say that the ½λ rectifying action means that values of negative input all become zeros in the output. So the PDF would have a tall spike at 0 with the right half (the positive values) of the graph remaining unchanged. That's my guess. :smile:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a random variable?

A random variable is a numerical value that is determined by the outcome of a random process. It can take on different values with a certain probability.

2. What is the difference between a discrete and continuous random variable?

A discrete random variable can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of values, while a continuous random variable can take on any value within a certain range.

3. What is the probability distribution of a random variable?

The probability distribution of a random variable describes the likelihood of each possible outcome occurring. It can be represented graphically through a probability density function or a cumulative distribution function.

4. How is a random process different from a random variable?

A random process is a sequence of random variables, while a random variable is a single numerical value. A random process can be thought of as a function that maps a set of outcomes to a set of random variables.

5. What are some real-life examples of random variables and random processes?

Some examples of random variables include the number of heads in a series of coin flips, the amount of rainfall in a certain area, or the height of a randomly selected person. Examples of random processes include stock market fluctuations, weather patterns, and radioactive decay.