Understanding inductance coil.

In summary, the inductor opposes a change in current through the circuit and produces a back emf when the switch is closed. When the switch is opened, the inductor tries to maintain the current flow, causing a large emf to be generated. This emf will flow through the switch and the winding resistance to dissipate the energy stored in the inductor. This is why it is important to use hard metal materials for switch and relay contacts when switching inductive loads. Additionally, Lenz's law states that the induced emf will oppose the change in magnetic flux, and if there are other coils in the circuit, the
ShreyasR
I know that an inductor opposes a change in current through it. So in the circuit diagram attachment, When the switch is closed, current starts increasing in the circuit and reaches a maximum value. And When in steady state, if the switch is suddenly turned off, The inductor opposes the sudden drop in current, and hence, the current slowly drops to zero.

But if this has to happen, there must be a closed path for the current to flow. When the switch is turned off, the path for the electric current is opened. So why doesn't the current drop to zero immediately? Where is the path for the current to slowly drop to zero?

Attachments

• Inductor.PNG
    Inductor.PNG
    829 bytes · Views: 471
Engineering news on Phys.org
In the circuit you post. You don't have any closed path for the current when the switch is turned off.
So current drop to zero immediately after the switch was turned off. This immediately change in current will cause a very large voltage to be produced. This produces a very short, very high voltage spike across the coil.
And I highly recommend you to read this pdf from page 22 "Understanding the Inductor".
http://www.elsevierdirect.com/samplechapters/9780750679701/9780750679701.PDF

Likes 1 person
ShreyasR said:
I know that an inductor opposes a change in current through it. So in the circuit diagram attachment...

...there must be a closed path for the current to flow. When the switch is turned off,...
.. Where is the path for the current to slowly drop to zero?

In real simple terms:

As you correctly stated, the inductor opposes a change in current.
It does so by changing itself from a current sink into a current source. Lenz's law at work.
It reverses its voltage and raises it to whatever is necessary to maintain current , until it has expended the energy of its magnetic field.

The key phrase here is "whatever is necessary".
As your switch contacts begin to move apart, a spark will form between them through which current flows until the inductor has spent its energy down to the point it can no longer maintain the arc voltage.

That is why switch and relay contacts that are made for switching inductive loads are made of hard metal that is resistant to arcing.

The condenser in 1960's automobile ignitions is there to prevent the points from quickly burning away. It also extends the duration of the spark produced by the ignition coil.

That's how a pure ideal inductor behaves.
A real one has limits of how much voltage it can make because of effects like core eddy currents and winding capacitance.

But that's the basic idea.
Now put some of your math to it and you'll have the concept forever.

old jim

Likes 1 person
To be precise you should say that the inductor opposes a change in magnetic field (magnetic flux linkage).
When you close the switch the current starts to flow and the magnetic field increases. An emf is induced in the inductor to oppose the increasing field, ie the increasing current. This is known as a back emf and the effect is that the current increases slowly at switch on.
When the switch is opened the current cannot continue to flow, it decreases instantaneously and an emf is produced to try to maintain the magnetic field, ie this emf tries to keep the current flowing.
As explained above this causes a large emf to be generated.

jim hardy said:
In real simple terms:

As you correctly stated, the inductor opposes a change in current.
It does so by changing itself from a current sink into a current source. Lenz's law at work.
It reverses its voltage and raises it to whatever is necessary to maintain current , until it has expended the energy of its magnetic field.

The key phrase here is "whatever is necessary".
As your switch contacts begin to move apart, a spark will form between them through which current flows until the inductor has spent its energy down to the point it can no longer maintain the arc voltage.

That is why switch and relay contacts that are made for switching inductive loads are made of hard metal that is resistant to arcing.

The condenser in 1960's automobile ignitions is there to prevent the points from quickly burning away. It also extends the duration of the spark produced by the ignition coil.

That's how a pure ideal inductor behaves.
A real one has limits of how much voltage it can make because of effects like core eddy currents and winding capacitance.

But that's the basic idea.
Now put some of your math to it and you'll have the concept forever.

old jim

So to dissipate the energy stored in the inductor (LI2/2), during the interval of the spark being produced, the large emf produced in the inductor will constitute a current which will cause the energy stored to be dissipated through the switch (due to the arc produced) and the winding resistance? Am i on the right path of understanding the concept now?

ShreyasR said:
Am i on the right path of understanding the concept now?

Sounds like it to me.

We might wordsmith it a little bit:
the large emf produced in the inductor will [STRIKE]constitute[/STRIKE] cause a current

Tech is right about Lenz's law - induced EMF attempts to produce a current which will oppose the change in magnetic flux.

In a pure inductor the voltage will become whatever is necessary to establish that current.
Note that if there are other coils linking the same flux, current can flow in them to satisfy Lenz.
So a coil that is designed to produce sparks must have a good core that doesn't allow induced currents to flow there instead of in the hv winding.

You can 'feel' this effect with a AA battery and a small transformer. It'll shock your fingers.
Don't try it with a big one though they can be quite painful. Palm size only, like a doorbell transformer.

old jim

Likes 1 person
jim hardy said:
Note that if there are other coils linking the same flux, current can flow in them to satisfy Lenz.
So a coil that is designed to produce sparks must have a good core that doesn't allow induced currents to flow there instead of in the hv winding.

So if i connect a circuit as attached in my post, and if the "inductor" is a plain iron core inductor, when i open the switch, can i expect the LI2/2 energy stored in the inductor to be dissipated through eddy currents, and the main current in the circuit to suddenly drop to zero?

ShreyasR said:
So if i connect a circuit as attached in my post, and if the "inductor" is a plain iron core inductor, when i open the switch, can i expect the LI2/2 energy stored in the inductor to be dissipated through eddy currents, and the main current in the circuit to suddenly drop to zero?

No, unless the iron core is a really poor one.
The eddy currents in the iron will dissipate some of the energy and the remainder of the energy will behave as we discussed above in posts 3, 4 and 5.. So the spark will be smaller, maybe too small to notice.
I'm sorry if I confused you.

It is good to get set in your mind how the ideal inductor works, which is as you described earlier,
and be aware of the difference between an ideal and a practical component.
Real inductors are incapable of producing infinite volts like the formula says an ideal one should.

An automobile spark coil will make tens of kilovolts when its current is interrupted
the little doorbell transformer will make only maybe a few hundred volts.
I've measured 2500 volts from AC relay coils about the size of an egg.

So, if you just wrap a lot of turns around a hardware store c-clamp to make an iron core inductor
it will not make as much voltage as one with a better core.
Clearly the core designer will work to keep eddy current(and other) losses to minimum so his inductor's behavior will approach ideal.

In your early studies your classroom work will likely involve ideal components.
I mentioned this only to plant the seed of "non ideal-ness"so that when you hit the real world and find out components are not ideal, it won't be such a surprise.
I worked on some inductors that had a solid rod for an iron core. We measured their inductance at various frequencies. Above 400 hz the iron core was no longer detectable. They were far from ideal.
That had us scratching our heads for a while because there's no frequency term in the textbook equation for inductance.

I was glad to see you questioning 'how it works' at the basic level. You'll do fine.
Magnetics is an interesting sub-field. Check out www.mag-inc.com.

old jim

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Wow! Now I will be convinced with whatever "weird" far-from-ideal things that might happen while working with inductors. Now I am confident enough that i will be able to explain the reason for such kind of behavior, when i start working with different type of non-ideal components. Thanks a lot jim! :smile: :biggrin:

1. What is inductance coil and how does it work?

Inductance coil is a component in an electrical circuit that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a conductor, typically in the form of a wire, coiled around a core material. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field, which stores energy. This energy can be released when the current is turned off, creating an induced current in the coil.

2. What factors affect the value of inductance in a coil?

The value of inductance in a coil is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the material of the core, the cross-sectional area of the coil, and the distance between the turns. These factors determine the strength of the magnetic field and the amount of energy that can be stored in the coil.

3. How is inductance measured in a coil?

Inductance can be measured using a device called an inductance meter. This device sends a small alternating current through the coil and measures the resulting voltage. The ratio of voltage to current is used to calculate the inductance of the coil.

4. What are the practical applications of inductance coil?

Inductance coils have many practical applications, including in power supplies, motors, transformers, and electronic filters. They are also used in wireless charging, radio frequency identification (RFID), and inductive heating.

5. How can the inductance of a coil be increased?

The inductance of a coil can be increased by adding more turns to the coil, increasing the core material's permeability, or decreasing the distance between the turns. Using a ferromagnetic core material, such as iron or ferrite, can also significantly increase the inductance of a coil.