Laser Doppler Anemometry and CFD - 3rd Year Project

In summary, the person is seeking help for their Mechanical Engineering project involving Laser Doppler Anemometry. They are looking for resources and information to assist with their project and literature review. A textbook on experimental fluid mechanics or aerodynamics would be a good place to start, and the website provided may have free resources through a university subscription to Springer.
mm391
Hi,

I am just about to go into my 3rd year of my Mechanical Engineering Degree and have decided to do a project with the following description:

"Laser Doppler Anemometry (LDA) is a non-intrusive technique used to
measure flow velocities and turbulence quantities in a fluid flow. The
objective of this project is to carry out velocity measurements in a
suitable flow arrangement (e.g. wall jet, free jet) using the LDA system
and then make comparisons with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
predictions. The LDA system uses a Class 4 Argon-Ion laser and although the
measurements will be made under guidance from the supervisor, students
applying for this project need to have a practical background and will be
trained in laser safety."

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out and provide any good links or information that I could use to do some background reading for my project and literature review?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that any textbook on experimental fluid mechanics or experimental aerodynamics will do.

1. What is Laser Doppler Anemometry (LDA) and how does it work?

Laser Doppler Anemometry (LDA) is a non-intrusive optical measurement technique used to determine the velocity of moving particles or fluids. It works by using a laser beam to illuminate the particles or fluid in motion. As the particles move through the laser beam, they scatter the light, which is then detected by a photodetector. The frequency shift of the scattered light is used to calculate the velocity of the particles, providing information about the fluid flow.

2. What is CFD and how is it related to LDA?

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics, which is a numerical approach to solving fluid flow problems. It involves using computers to simulate and analyze fluid flow behavior. CFD is related to LDA in that LDA provides experimental data that can be used to validate and improve CFD models. LDA and CFD are often used together to gain a more comprehensive understanding of fluid flow phenomena.

3. What are some common applications of LDA and CFD?

LDA and CFD are widely used in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and biomedical. Some common applications include studying aerodynamics of airplanes, optimizing fuel injection in car engines, analyzing heat transfer in power plants, and understanding blood flow in the human body. They are also used in research and development to improve the design and performance of various products and processes.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of LDA and CFD results?

The accuracy of LDA and CFD results can be influenced by several factors, such as the quality of the laser and optical components, the positioning and alignment of the equipment, the size and shape of the particles or fluid being measured, and the assumptions and simplifications made in the CFD model. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors to ensure accurate results.

5. What are some limitations of LDA and CFD?

One limitation of LDA is that it can only measure the velocity of particles or fluids in one direction at a time. This means that multiple measurements are required to obtain a complete understanding of the fluid flow. Additionally, LDA requires a transparent fluid, which can limit its applicability. As for CFD, it relies on mathematical models and assumptions, which may not always accurately represent real-world conditions. It also requires significant computing power and time to simulate complex fluid flow problems.