Higgs production and PDF

In summary, the conversation discusses attempts to calculate the Higgs production cross section using Mathematica and the discrepancies between the calculated value and the expected value. It is discovered that the issue lies in a missing dimensionful factor, and the conversation also touches on the relevance of integrated luminosity at hadron colliders in relation to the cross section.
Safinaz
Hi all,

I try to calculate the Higgs production cross section by Mathematica using
for example the formula in [arXiv:hep-ph/0503172].

The problem comes when I calculate " σ_0 " it's of order 10^-10 pb at mh = 125 GeV ( 3.57), then when I convolute with the parton distribution function to get the pp -> H production according to equ.( 3.58) it gives me of order 10^-7 pb ! while in the plot (3.18) pp -> H is around 50 pb.

I don't know what is the problem I have, any help please.Safinaz

Physics news on Phys.org
It is hard to impossible to tell what is wrong if you do not show your calculations.

10-7 pb is too small.

for σ0:

σ0[mh_] : = ( ( c^2)/ (256 *Pi)) *(1/2)^2* ( ((Yht)/(mT))* At [mh])^2
where
c = 0.117, Yht= mt/v, v= 174 and At is the fermion loop function.

This gives 10^-10 pb .

For σ(pp -> h) I used:

LogPlot[ {σ0[mh]*(q)* NIntegrate[(1/x)* pdf[iset, iparton, x, 14000] * pdf[iset, iparton, (q/x), 14000], {x, q, 1}], {mh, 100, 200}]

With

iset = 1; (* CTEQ5M*)
iparton = 0;
q := mh^2/14000^2;

Safinaz said:
I try to calculate the Higgs production cross section by Mathematica...
The problem comes when I calculate " σ_0 " it's of order 10^-10 pb
This is way too small also.

What you gave doesn't correspond very well to the equation Eq (3.57) But after all, finding a missing factor of so many orders of magnitude should not require the use of Mathematica!

If you take a look at the equation as given, the Fermi coupling constant Gμ from Eq (1.76) is 10-5 GeV-2, the strong coupling constant from Eq (1.78) is αs = 0.1, and there is a numerical factor of about 1000 in the denominator. The form factor A is order of magnitude 1.

Apparently a dimensionful factor has been suppressed. To get something with the right dimensions, i.e. a cross-section, we need to reintroduce (ħc)2 where ħc = 200 MeV-f. So we have

10-5 GeV-2 (200 MeV-f)2 (0.1)2/1000 ≈ 10-10 f2 = 10-36 cm2 = 10-12 b = 1 pb

Thanks for your reply,

So the problem is only the dimensions. Now σ0[125] of order 10^-5 pb .. but what about
σ(pp -> h) , at page 115 it's mentioned that ## \int L dt = 100 pb^{-1} ## so that should
we multiply by some factor here because I still have σ(pp -> h) [100] = 0.006.

s.

I don't see how the integrated luminosity at hadron colliders would be relevant for the cross-section. If you care about the total number of Higgs bosons produced, multiply the cross-section with the integrated luminosity. With 1pb (see post 4) and 100/pb this gives 1pb*100/pb = 100 Higgs bosons.

So what about equ.(3.58) in [arXiv:hep-ph/0503172], they gave the total cross section by multiplying
##\sigma0## by ## \tau_h ( dL/d\tau_h)## I don't understand this expression.

They define ## dL/d\tau_h## as the parton distribution function and this is what I used in my calculation
to get(pp->h) as in post 3 after getting ##\sigma0## (pb).

S

Last edited:

What is Higgs production?

Higgs production refers to the creation of Higgs bosons in particle collisions. The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle in the Standard Model of particle physics, responsible for giving mass to other particles.

How is Higgs production studied?

Higgs production is studied through high-energy particle collisions, such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Scientists use detectors to measure the products of these collisions and search for signatures of Higgs boson production.

What is the significance of Higgs production?

Higgs production is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and completed the Standard Model of particle physics.

What are PDFs in relation to Higgs production?

PDFs (Parton Distribution Functions) are mathematical functions that describe the distribution of quarks and gluons within a proton. They are essential for predicting the likelihood of Higgs boson production in a particle collision.

How do scientists use Higgs production and PDFs to test the Standard Model?

Scientists use Higgs production and PDFs to test the Standard Model by comparing experimental results to theoretical predictions. Any discrepancies between the two could indicate the need for a new theory or modifications to the Standard Model.