The Necessity of Partial Birth Abortion: A Scientific Perspective

• News
  • Thread starter Jonathan
  • Start date
In summary: It created an undue burden on a woman to have to consider an abortion due to the lack of exceptions.In summary, according to the experts, the bill is unconstitutional because it does not include exceptions for the health of the mother. Partial birth abortions are also considered to be a less-effective and less-safe alternative to other abortion procedures.
Originally posted by cucumber
i agree: i used to live in Rwanda when i was little as my mom and dad were development workers (i am not sure what the job is called) and they told me how the church actively propagated the rumor that condoms did not prevent you from getting aids (as they had "little holes through which the virus can get") and that it is a sin to use them (and if you didn't have sex before marriage and didn't cheat on your partner you wouldn't get HIV anyway), thus destroying the efforts my parents had made promoting the use of them. how can a world religion that claims to be all about love thy neighbour help AIDS to spread around the people that believe in them?!?
it's ridiculous!
As I apologized for earlier, it isn't everyone...but I do think it is an awful ot of them. I also love the lies that are told 'for our own good', like the idea that condoms don't prevent pregnancies or STDs. In the real world, if you want to stop abortion, you promote birth control.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Vatican has just repeated this canard about condom effectiveness. Although elsewher on these boards I pointed out that there really are such things as defective condoms, I can't say how disgusted I am at their action.

For the Vatican (not for all Catholics, or even all Bishops), sex, embryology, abortion, contraception, and homosexuality are all tied together in one big bundle. You can't eliminate one without eliminating all. So their response to AIDs is continence and only continence. I have many times heard from other Catholics the opinion that this irrational position comes from the Curia being all old virgin men. Sex is the big no-no in their lives, and it must be the big no-no in any unmarried person's life. And as for married people, sex is only for procreaation; having sex for fun or to strengthen your marriage while using contraceptives is a sin. Phooey.

I agree! I hate those pompous, self-righeous pseudochristians! If you have seen the TV show 'Everybody Loves Raymond', Amy's family are the ones I'm thinking of.
However Zero, your (second to most recent) post didn't make a lot of sense to me, I didn't say that my opinions should be the law for everyone, esp. given that I admit to not knowing much about two of them. And almost everyone agrees with the first two opinions I wrote.

Originally posted by Jonathan
I agree! I hate those pompous, self-righeous pseudochristians! If you have seen the TV show 'Everybody Loves Raymond', Amy's family are the ones I'm thinking of.
However Zero, your (second to most recent) post didn't make a lot of sense to me, I didn't say that my opinions should be the law for everyone, esp. given that I admit to not knowing much about two of them. And almost everyone agrees with the first two opinions I wrote.
Well, not you, maybe...but plenty of people who think like you do seem to think that we should write the laws to suit them.

That's not me, the laws should be written to suit what is right in the majority's veiw and what is best for the majority.

That's not me, the laws should be written to suit what is right in the majority's veiw and what is best for the majority.
WHat are you, some sort of anti-American traitor?

Seriously, laws absolutely must NOT be written based on majority opinion. That sort of attitude, attractive though it may be, stands in sharp contrast to the values that America is based on.

Thanks goodness our laws are geared toward protecting us from the tyranny of the majority.

So you all are telling me that the right and wrong that are in the laws should come from some other source? And what pray tell, is this other source in it's infinite wisdom that isn't God? If laws are not written by what is right in the majority's view and is good for the majority, then what in the world have we been using these past several hundred years in this democracy?

Laws in the US are written and passed according to the political process laid down in our constitution. This allows some influence of minorities (e.g. the 60 percent vote requirement for cloture against filibusters). It also has the effect that laws which over a long term are perceived as bad by the majority - enough to get them off their duffs and vote - will be overthrown.

God does not tell us what laws he wants - only the human run churches do that. Let them take their chances in the political forum.

BTW before somebody points out that cloture is not in the constitution, it says the Senate can make up its own rules. And those are the rules they made.

Yes, that is my understanding of it, laws are passed by representatives whose job it is to pass the laws and okay the spenting that they see fit. Given that the representatives are elected, then the veiws they hold are supposed to be approximately what the majority thinks. I can tell you all that if it didn't work this way, that if the rules didn't say what the majority wants them to say, the gov't would be overthrown and then it would be that way.
My mentioning of God in my previous post was referring more to logical philosophy. We have only two ways of knowing a truth:
-believing what God tells us, if we go to the trouble of agknowledging him
-making assumptions and observations, and then coming to logical conclusions
However, as human history shows, we are far to fallable to put a lot of faith in the second. It is generally pretty good, and generally gets better, but we can prove that it will never be perfect.
Now for those who don't believe in God, there is no way to be perfect, one can only get so close that one merely makes that extra assumption that very very close is close enough.
For those who believe in God, what God says is the only perfect, and all the others are just varying approximations of truth. However, one must make the big and important decision in this case of which god/s to listen to.
This is why most scientists take a generally atheistic veiw.