Converting an explicit series to a recursive form

In summary: After multiplying each term by the normalized factor, the final equation should be:y_1=\frac{X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}}}{|X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}}|}y_2=\frac{X{{y}_{1}}+{{e}_{i}}}{|X{{y}_{1}}+{{e}_{i}}|}y_3=\frac{X{{y}_{2}}+{{e}_{i}}}{|X{{y}_{2}}+{{e}_{i}}|}y_4=\frac{X{{y}
regina_lee
Let [itex]e_i [/itex] be a unit vector with one 1 in the [itex]i[/itex]-th element. Is the following expression has a recursive presentation?

$$y_N = \sum_{k=0}^N {\frac{{{X^k} e_i}}{\|{{{X^k} e_i}\|}_2}} $$

where [itex]X[/itex] is a [itex]n \times n[/itex] square matrix, and [itex]{\| \cdot \|}_2[/itex] is a vector norm defined as [itex]{\|z\|}_2 = \sqrt{|z_1|^2+|z_2|^2+...+|z_n|^2}[/itex].

---

EDIT: I know that if [itex]y_N = \sum_{k=0}^N {{X^k} e_i} [/itex], it is easy to obtain the following recursive formula:

$$y_{k+1} = X y_{k} + e_i, \quad (k=0,1,2,...) \textrm{ with } \ \ \ y_0=e_i$$

However, after we add a normalized factor, is there a similar recursive expression? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it just
[tex]y_{k+1}= \frac{Xy_k+e_i}{|Xy_k+ e_i|}[/tex]

(And I don't see why you wouldn't just write that as
[tex]y_{k+1}= \frac{Xy_k+ y_0}{|Xy_k+ y_0|}[/tex])

regina_lee said:
Let [itex]e_i [/itex] be a unit vector with one 1 in the [itex]i[/itex]-th element. Is the following expression has a recursive presentation?

$$y_N = \sum_{k=0}^N {\frac{{{X^k} e_i}}{\|{{{X^k} e_i}\|}_2}} $$

where [itex]X[/itex] is a [itex]n \times n[/itex] square matrix, and [itex]{\| \cdot \|}_2[/itex] is a vector norm defined as [itex]{\|z\|}_2 = \sqrt{|z_1|^2+|z_2|^2+...+|z_n|^2}[/itex].

---

EDIT: I know that if [itex]y_N = \sum_{k=0}^N {{X^k} e_i} [/itex], it is easy to obtain the following recursive formula:

$$y_{k+1} = X y_{k} + e_i, \quad (k=0,1,2,...) \textrm{ with } \ \ \ y_0=e_i$$

However, after we add a normalized factor, is there a similar recursive expression? Thanks.

Hi, it seems your formula is not right because when I checked [itex]y_0,y_1,y_2[/itex], I find the following:

$$\begin{align}
& {{y}_{1}}=\frac{X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}}}{\left\| X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}} \right\|} \\
& {{y}_{2}}=\frac{X{{y}_{1}}+{{e}_{i}}}{\left\| X{{y}_{1}}+{{e}_{i}} \right\|} \\
& =\frac{X\frac{X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}}}{\left\| X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}} \right\|}+{{e}_{i}}}{\left\| X\frac{X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}}}{\left\| X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}} \right\|}+{{e}_{i}} \right\|} \\
& =\frac{\frac{{{X}^{2}}{{e}_{i}}+X{{e}_{i}}}{\left\| X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}} \right\|}+{{e}_{i}}}{\left\| \frac{{{X}^{2}}{{e}_{i}}+X{{e}_{i}}}{\left\| X{{e}_{i}}+{{e}_{i}} \right\|}+{{e}_{i}} \right\|} \\
\end{align}$$

1. What is the purpose of converting an explicit series to a recursive form?

The purpose of converting an explicit series to a recursive form is to simplify and generalize the series, making it easier to manipulate and analyze. It also allows for more efficient computation and can reveal patterns and relationships between terms in the series.

2. What is the difference between an explicit series and a recursive form?

An explicit series is a formula that directly calculates each term in the series, while a recursive form defines each term in terms of previous terms in the series. In other words, an explicit series is a closed form expression while a recursive form is a recursive definition.

3. How do you convert an explicit series to a recursive form?

To convert an explicit series to a recursive form, you must first identify the pattern or relationship between terms in the series. Then, you can write a recursive definition that defines each term in terms of previous terms in the series. Finally, you can use the recursive definition to compute any term in the series.

4. Can any explicit series be converted to a recursive form?

Yes, any explicit series can be converted to a recursive form as long as there is a pattern or relationship between terms in the series that can be expressed recursively. However, some series may be more complex to convert and may require more advanced mathematical techniques.

5. What are the benefits of using a recursive form over an explicit series?

Using a recursive form allows for more efficient computation, as it only requires the previous terms in the series to calculate the next term. It also allows for a more general and flexible representation of the series, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. Additionally, recursive forms can reveal underlying patterns and relationships in the series that may not be apparent in an explicit series.