I think I found a flaw in vector combination theory

In summary: Adding vectors in the wrong order doesn't make any sense. Adding them in the right order does.In summary, your theory is flawed because it does not take into account the effects of opposite-facing vectors.
BreezyLeaf
I've seen it often taught that the combination of two vectors is their graphical sum, but I think that there is a problem with this, in that if the vectors have opposite-facing components, then there are portions of the vectors completely neglected by the calculation. The idea seems to only be valid for parallel vectors, a case so narrow-in-applicability as to often be irrelevant.

Here's what I think is flawed about conventional vector combinations:

attachment.php?attachmentid=72400&stc=1&d=1408836408.jpg

Please let me know your impression. Thank you.

Attachments

• posting2page1.jpg
    posting2page1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
"I think I found a flaw in vector combination theory"

No you didn't

Your second set of drawings shows perfectly well why your theory is flawed. You are correct up to that point then you wander off into lala land.

Your "preposterous" drawing is exactly right.

Think FEA not motion...

phinds said:
Your "preposterous" drawing is exactly right.

I know that that is the conventional assumption, but it's on a macro scale.
Assuming the vectors are forces, the 'preposterous' vector might be a theory in the sum force on the tendency of a piece as a system. But in terms of internal-force-equilibrium, the vectors are much different than just the assumed sum. While the assumption might work well in terms of continuum physics, in the realm of deformation-physics, it seems completely inadequate.

Let's take a ball for example: If there are 10-'forceunit' pushing up on the ball, and 10-'forceunit' pushing down. The vector would assume there is 0-'forceunit' on the ball. Preposterous, because in terms of FEA, Volume-Physics and rigidity, the ball has to withstand a lump input of '20' and the vector assumptions says '0'.

BreezyLeaf said:
I know that that is the conventional assumption, but it's on a macro scale.
It is not a "conventional assumption", it is the only way to add vectors that makes any sense.

If you add -1 and 1, the result is -1+1=1+(-1)=0, but you suggest that the result should be -2 or +2, depending on the order in which you add them (!). Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense.

What is vector combination theory?

Vector combination theory is a mathematical concept that describes how to combine multiple vectors together to get a single resulting vector.

What is the purpose of vector combination theory?

The purpose of vector combination theory is to simplify and generalize the process of combining vectors, making it easier to solve complex problems in physics and engineering.

What is a flaw in vector combination theory?

A flaw in vector combination theory would be a mistake or error in the mathematical principles or equations used to combine vectors, leading to incorrect results.

How can a flaw in vector combination theory be identified?

A flaw in vector combination theory can be identified through careful analysis of the equations and assumptions used, as well as through experimental testing and comparison with known results.

Can a flaw in vector combination theory be corrected?

Yes, if a flaw is identified, it can be corrected by revisiting the equations and assumptions and making necessary adjustments to ensure accurate results.