Advice Regarding Becoming An Engineer

• Thread starter inferno46n2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the individual holds a B.Sc in Chemistry with a double minor in Math and Business Administration and had great marks throughout their degree. However, they have decided against pursuing a masters-phD in Chemistry and will be furthering their education to become a practicing engineer. They have been accepted into a M.ENG program in chemical engineering and will also be completing the necessary courses to register for their PENG. They are seeking advice on how to improve their chances of employment upon graduation, particularly in the energy sector. Suggestions include maintaining good grades and obtaining summer intern positions in the oil and gas industry, as well as potentially seeking funding for graduate school from the Department of Energy.
inferno46n2
Hello. I currently hold a B.Sc in Chemistry with a double minor in Math and Business Administration. I have had great marks throughout my degree and qualify for Graduate Studies. Upon conducting research into pursuing a masters-phD in Chemistry, I have decided against it and will be furthering my education to become a practicing engineer.

I have been accepted into a M.ENG program in chemical engineering(currently registered and attending classes) and will also be completing the 10-12 courses required to register for my PENG upon completing of the masters.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to improve my odds of employment upon graduating? I am aware that I can complete work terms over the summer months which I will be doing, but is there anymore advice that anyone can offer? My interests lie within the energy sector, more specifically oil and gas.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Keep making good grades and try to get summer intern positions within the oil and gas industry, or more broadly, within the energy sector. If the folks you work for, even just during the summer, see that you can handle the work and are motivated, it makes it much easier for them to offer you a full-time position after you get your degree.

See if you can get DOE sponsored funding

What skills are necessary to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you will need a strong foundation in math and science. You should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, having good communication and teamwork skills will be beneficial in this field.

What are the different types of engineers?

There are many different types of engineers, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineers. Each type specializes in a specific area and requires a unique set of skills and knowledge.

What education is required to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you will need at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some specialized fields may require a master's degree or Ph.D. Additionally, obtaining a professional engineering license may be necessary for certain positions.

What job opportunities are available for engineers?

Engineers have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including manufacturing, construction, technology, and research and development. They can work in roles such as design engineer, project manager, quality control engineer, or research engineer.

What are the future prospects for engineers?

The future prospects for engineers are promising, with a projected job growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Technological advancements and the increasing demand for sustainable solutions are expected to drive this growth.