Young's Double Slit experiment

In summary: For example, if one shines a laser pulse on one side and observes the interference pattern, and then shines a laser pulse on the other side and observes the interference pattern, the two patterns will be exactly the same. However, if one simply shines a laser pulse on one side and doesn't observe the interference pattern, then the interference pattern will be present on the one side but not on the other. This means that the "which slit" information has been transmitted to the other side.
raknath
Hi all

I have a doubt on this

The experiment per se does not say anything wrt to the size of the slit right?

Now my question here is, if i actually reduce the size of the slit to such a size that only one atom of a particular gas(say helium) can pass through this

Now let us say i bombard the slits with helium and then shine light(laser if you like, of different phases) on it then, would the interference pattern still be observed, or will the light get blocked out?

Physics news on Phys.org
raknath said:
Hi all

I have a doubt on this

The experiment per se does not say anything wrt to the size of the slit right?

Now my question here is, if i actually reduce the size of the slit to such a size that only one atom of a particular gas(say helium) can pass through this

Now let us say i bombard the slits with helium and then shine light(laser if you like, of different phases) on it then, would the interference pattern still be observed, or will the light get blocked out?

There are issues about slit size and spacing. For there to be interference, there must be multiple paths without cancellation. There are a number of related issues.

Assuming that: if you shine light incident such that the path taken can be determined, then the interference disappears.

DrChinese said:
There are issues about slit size and spacing. For there to be interference, there must be multiple paths without cancellation. There are a number of related issues.
Like?

DrChinese just wanted to know, why is size never taken into account for this experiment, is it because it has never been repeated with other particles like electrons and with varying slit sizes. Seems a pity that such a nice experiment does not have enough data

DrChinese said:
Assuming that: if you shine light incident such that the path taken can be determined, then the interference disappears.

Why would the interference disappear if i shine laser beams, phase shifted wrt each other?

raknath said:
Like?

DrChinese just wanted to know, why is size never taken into account for this experiment, is it because it has never been repeated with other particles like electrons and with varying slit sizes. Seems a pity that such a nice experiment does not have enough data

Why would the interference disappear if i shine laser beams, phase shifted wrt each other?

1. Interference has actually been demonstrated with all kinds of subatomic particles, including molecular nuclei (such as fullerene). So size been investigated. In fact, there is a web page that shows what happens when size parameters are varied, although I don't have the link in front of me.

2. Any mechanism that allows the "which slit" information to be learned will cause the interference to disappear.

What is Young's Double Slit experiment?

The Young's Double Slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrated the wave nature of light. It involves a light source, two narrow slits, and a screen. When light passes through the slits and onto the screen, it creates an interference pattern, showing the wave-like behavior of light.

What is the purpose of Young's Double Slit experiment?

The purpose of Young's Double Slit experiment was to demonstrate the wave nature of light and provide evidence for the existence of light waves. It helped to further our understanding of light and its behavior.

What is the significance of Young's Double Slit experiment?

The significance of Young's Double Slit experiment is that it provided evidence for the wave nature of light, which was a major breakthrough in the field of optics. It also laid the foundation for the development of the wave theory of light.

How does Young's Double Slit experiment work?

In Young's Double Slit experiment, a beam of light is directed towards two narrow slits. The light passes through the slits and creates two new wavefronts. These two wavefronts then overlap and create an interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits. The resulting pattern is a series of light and dark bands, known as interference fringes.

What factors can affect the outcome of Young's Double Slit experiment?

The outcome of Young's Double Slit experiment can be affected by several factors, such as the wavelength of light, the distance between the two slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Other factors may include the intensity of the light source and any obstructions or disturbances in the path of the light.