A magnetron's electromagnet

In summary: The resonant cavities within the anode vanes are the most important feature. The anode voltage (the potential difference between anode and cathode) is the most important feature.
Locrian
I'm in the process of refurbishing a 915mhz 30kw Microwave power supply. The problem I'm having is that the electromagnet coil's water tubing is busted, and so we are having to replace it, and the standard replacement part is somewhat expensive ($2000+) and will take weeks to arrive. I've found a local shop that specializes in electromagnets and say they can duplicate my old one for less money and quicker return.

Anyways, it's the theory I'm interested in.

There are lots of salespeople in this industry, and a few people who know details about magnetrons, but I'm not finding anyone who can tell me how specific the magnet has to be. Obviously I hope wherever I get a replacement it will be the same as the original, but I want to have my bases covered if the magnetic field produced by the replacement is off by a few %.

So does anyone have any information and/or thoughts about how the magnet affects the magnetron? I understand the theory, but knowing how it will react in practice is a very different thing...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've talked to a lot of people at many different companies and a couple of universities about this.

It's a simple question, that I haven't found an answer to.

I've come to the conclusion that all the physicists who understand magnetrons have long died, and all we're left with are a compliment of EE who know how to wire them up, and a mass of drooling salespeople determined to hock you another one.

I will venture a guess.

It doesn't seem as though the magnet is a very critical component. For one thing, they seem to be using simple permanent magnets in microwave ovens. For the frequency output, it seems like the resonant cavities within the anodes vanes are the most important feature. For the power output, it seems like the anode voltage (the potential difference between anode and cathode) is the most important feature. As far as I can tell, the magnet just needs to be strong enough to significantly circulate the electron beam.

Keep in mind that I know almost nothing about magnetrons. In fact, I hadn't heard of them until I read your post, so I am posing wild conjecture based on some brief internet research. I am rather surprised that someone is trying to charge you $2,000 for a cooling system.

Appreciate it turin! I agree with your advice and my company is going to have one wound for us instead of buying the one from the company that made the original. We recently grabbed an osciloscope and determined it's inductance (with a little help from a sophmore physics lab sheet that my parter used to teach :wink: ) and are going to have a local specialty place wind us a new one. That's the trick; the cooling coil isn't separable from the magnet so if you bust your coil you have to replace the whole thing.

If something melts down and a 12kV 50 amp arc decimates our labspace I'll let you know, if I'm around to do it!

I never worked on a magnetron, but I did work on an orotron. The most important factor was field continuity, not the exact field strength. The condition of the pole pieces was the most significant factor in field continuity. Can you remove the pole pieces before shipping out the magnet? This assumes you'll be more careful removing and replacing them than the repairman though!

Njorl

What is a magnetron's electromagnet?

A magnetron's electromagnet is an essential component of a microwave oven that generates the strong magnetic field needed to heat food. It is a type of electromagnet that uses electricity to create a magnetic field, which then interacts with the electrons in the magnetron's vacuum tube to produce microwaves.

How does a magnetron's electromagnet work?

A magnetron's electromagnet works by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the electrons in the vacuum tube, causing them to move back and forth rapidly. As the electrons move, they generate microwaves, which are then directed into the microwave oven to heat the food.

What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

The main difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet is that a permanent magnet produces a constant magnetic field without needing an external power source, while an electromagnet's magnetic field can be controlled and turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity through the coil.

How is the strength of a magnetron's electromagnet controlled?

The strength of a magnetron's electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of electric current flowing through the coil. Increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the current will weaken it. This allows for precise control over the strength of the magnetic field and, consequently, the power of the microwaves produced.

What are the applications of a magnetron's electromagnet?

Aside from its use in microwave ovens, a magnetron's electromagnet has many other applications. It is used in radar systems, particle accelerators, and even in medical devices such as MRI machines. Its ability to generate a strong and controllable magnetic field makes it a valuable tool in various scientific and technological fields.