Extending radius of convergence by analytic continuation

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a power series for an analytic function f(z) and the possibility of representing another analytically continuous function g(z) in the same domain. It is concluded that if g(z) is an analytic continuation of f(z), then the power series for f(z) converges up to the nearest singular point of g(z), which in this case is on the circle |z|=R_2. The terms "analytically continuous" and "analytic continuation" are clarified, and the concept of power series coefficient equality is mentioned.
jackmell
Hi,

Suppose I have an analytic function

[tex]
f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^n
[/tex]

the series of which I know converges in at least [itex]|z|<R_1[/itex], and I have another function [itex]g(z)[/itex] which is analytically continuous with [itex]f(z)[/itex] in [itex]|z|<R_2[/itex] with [itex]R_2>R_1[/itex] and the nearest singular point of [itex]g(z)[/itex] is on the circle [itex]|z|=R_2[/itex]. Can I conclude the power series has a radius of convergence [itex]R_2[/itex] and represents both f(z) and g(z) in that domain?

I'm confident I can but not sure how to prove that. How about this:

If f(z) and g(z) are analytically continuous, then by the Principle of Analytic Continuation, they are the same function and therefore, the power series converges up to the nearest singular point of that same function which in this case, is the singular point on [itex]R_2[/itex] and therefore, the radius of convergence of the series is [itex]R_2[/itex].

Is that sufficient?

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the right idea but you've kind of written it up in an odd way. There's also the problem of your usage of the nonstandard term "analytically continuous". (One says that "g is an analytic continuation of f", and not that f and g are "analytically continuous".)

Basically what's going on here is that g is analytic in the disc |z|<R_2, so has a power series expansion there, with coefficients b_n say. But g=f in the smaller disc |z|<R_1, so $$b_n=\frac{g^{(n)}(0)}{n!}=\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}=a_n.$$

morphism said:
(One says that "g is an analytic continuation of f", and not that f and g are "analytically continuous".)

Ok, g is the analytic continuation of f. That sounds better.

Thanks for helping me.

1. What is analytic continuation?

Analytic continuation is a mathematical technique used to extend the domain of validity of a given analytic function to a larger region of the complex plane. It allows for the calculation of values of the function outside of its original domain by using known values within the domain.

2. Why is extending the radius of convergence important?

Extending the radius of convergence allows for the evaluation of a function at points that were previously inaccessible. This is useful in many applications, such as in physics and engineering, where the behavior of a function may need to be understood at points beyond the original domain.

3. How is the radius of convergence extended?

The radius of convergence can be extended by using analytic continuation techniques, such as the Cauchy integral formula and the Taylor series expansion. These methods allow for the calculation of values of a function outside of its original domain by using known values within the domain.

4. Can the radius of convergence be extended to infinity?

In theory, the radius of convergence can be extended to infinity by using analytic continuation techniques. However, in practice, this is not always possible as it depends on the specific function and its behavior. Some functions may have a finite radius of convergence that cannot be extended any further.

5. What are some real-world applications of extending the radius of convergence?

Extending the radius of convergence has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the calculation of solutions to differential equations, in the study of complex functions and their behavior, and in the evaluation of physical phenomena, such as the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It is also used in computer graphics and numerical analysis to improve the accuracy of calculations.