Double Urination: Causes and Effects

• Thread starter Dadface
  • Start date
In summary, some individuals may experience post-void urine retention, which is considered normal if less than 50 ml. This may be due to bladder elasticity or other factors unrelated to kidney function. If concerned, it is recommended to see a doctor. One person believes the cause may be due to urine being stored in the ureters and dripping into the bladder, while another suggests it may be a bladder wall malfunction. However, this may become a more serious issue with age and may require a catheter.
Dadface
Does anyone else experience the following:
You are busting for a wee and eventually you get to the toilet and away you go.Heaven. A short time later,sometimes just seconds,you need another mini wee.
I think its due to the bladder getting completely filled and being emptied on the first wee. The mini wee is due to urine being stored in the ureters and dripping into the bladder as it empties. Is there anything to my idea?
Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, annoying isn't it? I always wondered if the kidneys were storing urine when back pressure from the bladder increases.

Dadface said:
Does anyone else experience the following:
You are busting for a wee and eventually you get to the toilet and away you go.Heaven. A short time later,sometimes just seconds,you need another mini wee.
I think its due to the bladder getting completely filled and being emptied on the first wee. The mini wee is due to urine being stored in the ureters and dripping into the bladder as it empties. Is there anything to my idea?
Thanks

Post-void urine retention, to some degree, is normal- AFAIK, less than 50 ml is considered 'normal'. Abnormal retention volumes can be due to a variety of problems (unrelated to kidney function). If you are concerned, you should see a doctor.

Andy Resnick said:
Post-void urine retention, to some degree, is normal- AFAIK, less than 50 ml is considered 'normal'. Abnormal retention volumes can be due to a variety of problems (unrelated to kidney function). If you are concerned, you should see a doctor.

No concerns at all. Have been experiencing this for as long as I can remember. I just wondered about the cause.

@dadface. My personal perception is a function of bladder elasticity. In other words, when it is really full, upon emptying, it is slack for a few moments. In a matter of seconds, as the muscle contracts, it then finds it has fluid to void. Filling the ureter would have minimal, to drops of fluid. Backing into the kidneys would cause renal failure, or malfunction. My opinion is bladder wall malfunction,which will grow more serious with age needing a cath to get the rest.

1. What is double urination?

Double urination, also known as double voiding, is the act of urinating twice in quick succession. This means that after urinating, there is still a small amount of urine left in the bladder, which is then expelled in a second urination.

2. What are the causes of double urination?

The most common cause of double urination is an overactive bladder. This means that the bladder muscles contract involuntarily, causing the urge to urinate frequently. Other causes can include urinary tract infections, nerve damage, and certain medications.

3. Is double urination a sign of a serious medical condition?

In most cases, double urination is not a sign of a serious medical condition. However, if it is accompanied by other symptoms such as pain or discomfort, it is important to consult a doctor. It could be a sign of an underlying condition such as an enlarged prostate or diabetes.

4. How can double urination be treated?

Treatment for double urination depends on the underlying cause. In the case of an overactive bladder, lifestyle changes such as limiting caffeine and alcohol intake, and bladder training exercises can help. Medications may also be prescribed. For other causes, treating the underlying condition can help alleviate the symptoms.

5. Are there any long-term effects of double urination?

Double urination itself does not have any long-term effects, but it can be a symptom of an underlying condition that may have long-term effects if left untreated. It is important to address the cause of double urination to prevent any potential complications.