Register to reply

Praseodymium (etc.) Trivia Question(s)

by questar
Tags: praseodymium, trivia
Share this thread:
questar
May5-14, 03:48 PM
P: 10
Who first isolated praseodymium in 1931?

To date, I've been unable to find a single source that consistently provides names and years or both for the first isolation of every element. Thus far I've names and years of the first recorded isolations of each element up to praseodymium (carbon, sulfur, iron, copper, silver and tin notwithstanding). But I've hit a wall and all I can find is a year.

Now I see the same problem with neodymium, that apparently was isolated in 1925.
So who first isolated neodymium in 1925?

Promethium was first isolated by Jacob Marinsky, Lawrence Glendenin and Charles Coryell of America in 1945. O.K, but what about samarium, europium and gadolinium, etc. In addition, if anybody can provide a source such as "the history of pure elements" (which isn't a real source), I for one would be grateful.

By the way, technetium was first isolated in the Belgian Congo by B.T. Kenna and P.K. Kuroda in 1962. This was a pain to find and I don't know anything else about these two as I suppose wiki didn't think being the first to isolate a rare element is worthy of a wiki page. Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
Celebrating 100 years of crystallography
Turning waste from rice, parsley and other foods into biodegradable plastic
Borek
May5-14, 04:27 PM
Admin
P: 23,535
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Auer_von_Welsbach, 1885, not 1931.
SteamKing
May5-14, 05:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,474
Quote Quote by questar View Post

To date, I've been unable to find a single source that consistently provides names and years or both for the first isolation of every element. Thus far I've names and years of the first recorded isolations of each element up to praseodymium (carbon, sulfur, iron, copper, silver and tin notwithstanding). But I've hit a wall and all I can find is a year.

Now I see the same problem with neodymium, that apparently was isolated in 1925.

Promethium was first isolated by Jacob Marinsky, Lawrence Glendenin and Charles Coryell of America in 1945. O.K, but what about samarium, europium and gadolinium, etc. In addition, if anybody can provide a source such as "the history of pure elements" (which isn't a real source), I for one would be grateful.

By the way, technetium was first isolated in the Belgian Congo by B.T. Kenna and P.K. Kuroda in 1962. This was a pain to find and I don't know anything else about these two as I suppose wiki didn't think being the first to isolate a rare element is worthy of a wiki page. Thank you.
You know, Google and Wiki are your friends here. You can find a lot of information online about when the pure forms of various elements were isolated and in most cases who was first to do so.

questar
May6-14, 01:42 PM
Praseodymium (etc.) Trivia Question(s)

Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Welsbach discovered praseodymium and neodymium from Mosander's "didymium" when he separared them in the form of their oxides... a pure sample of metallic praseodymium was was not produced in 1931, not 1885.
questar
May6-14, 01:48 PM
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
You know, Google and Wiki are your friends here. You can find a lot of information online about when the pure forms of various elements were isolated and in most cases who was first to do so.
Quote Quote by questar View Post

Just a little disrespectful... assuming of course that the word "disrespectful" is not an absolute adjective.
questar
May7-14, 12:48 PM
A couple of good places to start for those that care to know.

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/content/elements.html
... and the book entitled "Nature's Building Blocks" by John Emsley that states "A pure sample of metallic praseodymium was first produced in 1931." Praseodymium is a metal.

Register to reply