Friction Challenge: Increasing Speed?

In summary, there are cases where kinetic friction can help accelerate an object, such as a sailboat using its sails as a parachute or a plate sliding against fabric with a strong enough force. However, it is still debated whether or not friction alone can cause motion.
'AQF
Can anyone think of a way where friction increases the speed of a moving body, instead of decreasing it? Or prove that this is impossible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in the case of STATIC friction, one might, if you wish, say that the static friction accelerates one of the bodies (think of two boxes on top of each other, the lower box receives an external force, whereas the top box is only influenced by the static friction between itself and the other box).

Is there any case where kinetic friction would help accelerate an object? For example, if a wedge is being accelerated at a very high rate, it is possible for the mass to travel up the wedge despite gravity. Would this be considered as speeding up?

[QUOTE='AQF]Is there any case where kinetic friction would help accelerate an object? [/QUOTE]

A sailboat.

Zz.

Can you expain this?

Everytime I drop my luggage on the conveyor at the airport it speeds up! :)

[QUOTE='AQF]Can you expain this?[/QUOTE] A sailboat going straight downwind essentially uses its sails as a big parachute - and that's kinetic/dynamic friction (drag).

[A sailboat going upwind (at an angle) uses lift.]

if the ground irregularities have a sawtooth appearance (microscopically speaking, of course) and the object which is on it also has this appearance in the interface, then it is possible in principle for the thermal motion to produce movement, which represents acceleration if you start with the object at rest.

Best Regards,

DaTario

In line with ZZ and Russ' answers, a car wouldn't accelerate very well without friction between the tires and the ground; that, however, sidesteps what I think might be the original question of friction alone causing movement.

Can friction alone cause motion, or is this impossible?

Please reread the answers you have already gotten. The sailboat example is a clear "yes" to your question.

[QUOTE='AQF]Is there any case where kinetic friction would help accelerate an object? For example, if a wedge is being accelerated at a very high rate, it is possible for the mass to travel up the wedge despite gravity. Would this be considered as speeding up?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would say so. If you have an object on a surface. Let's say a plate on piece of fabric. And you pull violently on the clothing (to the right, say). I think that for a short time, the plate will be moving to the right (and sliding against the piece of fabric) and will be accelerating to the right. The fabric is moving faster than the plate, so in the frame of the piece of fabric, the plate is moving to the left with a kinetic friction acting to the right. But I think it's possible to pull the fabric with sufficient force that the plate will accelerate to the right due to the kinetic friction. But that's not based on an actual proof, just my intuition.

The example of the sailboat I think is a bit a stretch because no kinetic friction in the usual sense (due to two surfaces sliding against each other) is involved. I don't see how a drag force could be considered a kinetic friction force. This is all semantics, but that's my opinion.

1. How does friction affect speed?

Friction is a force that opposes motion. When two surfaces come into contact, the microscopic bumps and ridges on their surfaces interact and create resistance, making it harder for an object to move. This resistance ultimately slows down the speed of the object.

2. What are some ways to increase speed in the face of friction?

There are several ways to increase speed while facing friction. One way is to reduce the surface area of contact between the two surfaces to minimize the amount of friction. Another method is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to reduce the friction between the surfaces. Additionally, increasing the force or power applied to the object can also help overcome friction and increase speed.

3. How does the type of surface affect friction and speed?

The type of surface can greatly affect the amount of friction and speed of an object. Rougher surfaces tend to have more friction compared to smoother surfaces. Similarly, softer surfaces tend to have more friction than harder surfaces. It is important to consider the surface properties when trying to increase speed in the presence of friction.

4. Is there a limit to how much speed can be increased by reducing friction?

There is a limit to how much speed can be increased by reducing friction. This is because no matter how much we reduce friction, there will always be some minimal amount of resistance present. Additionally, reducing friction too much can also cause other problems, such as loss of control or stability of the object.

5. How can we measure the amount of friction present?

Friction can be measured using a device called a friction force sensor. This sensor measures the force needed to move an object across a surface and can give us an accurate measurement of the amount of friction present. Additionally, there are also methods such as the inclined plane experiment that can be used to calculate the coefficient of friction between two surfaces.