Mastering Supersymmetry: Solving the Algebra and Understanding Its Applications

X^{\mu}\epsilon_{1} \\ &= \bar{\epsilon}_{1}\rho^{\beta}\epsilon_{2}\partial_{\beta}\partial_{\alpha}X^{\mu} - \bar{\epsilon}_{2}\rho^{\beta}\epsilon_{1}\partial_{\beta}\partial_{\alpha}X^{\mu} \\ &= (\bar{\epsilon}_{1}\rho^{\beta}\epsilon_{2}\partial_{\beta})\partial_{\alpha}X^{\mu} - (\bar{\epsilon}_{2}\
AlphaNumeric
It's been bugging my for ages, but I cannot see to show the following supersymmetry algebra :

[tex]\delta_{\epsilon} X^{\mu} = \bar{\epsilon}\bar{\psi}[/tex]
[tex]\delta_{\epsilon} \psi^{\mu} = \rho .\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon[/tex]

Using these show that

[tex][\delta_{\epsilon_{1}},\delta_{\epsilon_{2}}]X^{\mu} = 2\bar{\epsilon}_{1}\rho^{\alpha}\epsilon_{2}\partial_{\alpha}X^{\mu}[/tex]
[tex][\delta_{\epsilon_{1}},\delta_{\epsilon_{2}}]\psi^{\mu} = 2\bar{\epsilon}_{1}\rho^{\alpha}\epsilon_{2}\partial_{\alpha}\psi^{\mu}[/tex]

using [tex]\rho . \partial \psi^{\mu}=0[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] being a Grassman spinor.

I can do the first one but I cannot do the second one. Every textbook I check just says "It can be shown that..." but I can't actually show it! :mad: :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. it is important for us to not just accept results, but to understand and be able to show them as well. I would be happy to help you with the second part of the supersymmetry algebra.

Firstly, let's recall the definition of the supersymmetry transformation:

\delta_{\epsilon} X^{\mu} = \bar{\epsilon}\bar{\psi}
\delta_{\epsilon} \psi^{\mu} = \rho .\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon

Now, we can use the definition of the commutator [\delta_{\epsilon_{1}},\delta_{\epsilon_{2}}] to show the desired result:

[\delta_{\epsilon_{1}},\delta_{\epsilon_{2}}]\psi^{\mu} &= \delta_{\epsilon_{1}}(\delta_{\epsilon_{2}} \psi^{\mu}) - \delta_{\epsilon_{2}}(\delta_{\epsilon_{1}} \psi^{\mu}) \\
&= \delta_{\epsilon_{1}}(\rho .\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon_{2}) - \delta_{\epsilon_{2}}(\rho .\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon_{1}) \\
&= \bar{\epsilon}_{1}\bar{\psi}\partial_{\alpha}(\rho .\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon_{2}) - \bar{\epsilon}_{2}\bar{\psi}\partial_{\alpha}(\rho .\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon_{1}) \\
&= \bar{\epsilon}_{1}\bar{\psi}(\partial_{\alpha}\rho .\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon_{2}) + \bar{\epsilon}_{1}\bar{\psi}(\rho .\partial_{\alpha}\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon_{2}) - \bar{\epsilon}_{2}\bar{\psi}(\partial_{\alpha}\rho .\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon_{1}) - \bar{\epsilon}_{2}\bar{\psi}(\rho .\partial_{\alpha}\partial X^{\mu}\epsilon_{1}) \\
&= \bar{\epsilon}_{1}\bar{\psi}\rho^{\beta}\partial_{\beta}\partial_{\alpha}X^{\mu}\epsilon

1. What is Supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework in particle physics that proposes a symmetry between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). It suggests that for every known particle, there exists a corresponding superpartner with a different spin.

2. Why is Supersymmetry important?

Supersymmetry is important because it can potentially solve some of the major problems in the Standard Model of particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the lack of a candidate for dark matter. It also helps to unify the fundamental forces of nature and provides a possible link between quantum mechanics and gravity.

3. How does Supersymmetry relate to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)?

The LHC is a particle accelerator that was built to test predictions of Supersymmetry and other theories beyond the Standard Model. It is currently the best tool we have to search for evidence of supersymmetric particles and to further our understanding of this theory.

4. What evidence do we have for Supersymmetry?

So far, no supersymmetric particles have been observed in experiments, but there are several reasons why scientists continue to search for evidence of Supersymmetry. Some of these include the predicted existence of dark matter particles that could be supersymmetric, and the fact that Supersymmetry provides a solution to some of the problems in the Standard Model.

5. Are there any challenges or criticisms of Supersymmetry?

While Supersymmetry is an attractive theory, it has also faced some challenges and criticisms. One of the main criticisms is the lack of evidence for supersymmetric particles in experiments. Additionally, some scientists argue that the theory is too complex and lacks testable predictions. However, many researchers continue to work on developing and testing Supersymmetry in hopes of finding evidence for this theory.