Calculating Protons after 2 Seconds - R and C Values

In summary, to find the number of protons after 2 seconds, you can use the equation Q = CV where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance (1x10^-5 F), and V is the voltage. The initial charge on the capacitor is 1.60x10^-16 C and the initial voltage is calculated using the RC discharge equation V = Vo*e^(-t/tau). To find the half-life, multiply the mean life (7 seconds) by 0.7 to get 10 seconds. From there, you can use the formula V = Vo*e^(-t/tau) to find the voltage at 10 seconds and then calculate the charge using Q = CV. The final answer
chevycamaro1987
1. A capacitor where C=1X10^-5 F and R= 1X10^6, there's 1000 electrons on the plate at t=0. How would I find the number of protons after 2 seconds?

2. half life= .7Tm, mean life=RC

3. I put the R and C values into get the mean life and got an answer of 7 seconds, and than to find the halflife, I multiplied the mean life by .7 and got 10 seconds. I just don't know where to go from there though. I know the answer is 820, but I don't know how to get that answer. Is there a formula where I can put in the number of seconds using the mean life and half life to get the answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation

[tex]Q = CV[/tex]

andrevdh said:
Use the equation

[tex]Q = CV[/tex]

I tried using that formula but what do I insert for V? I put in 2 seconds and it didnt work, i tried working backwards, that didnt work either...what am i doing wrong?

V is voltage. Relate voltage to current and then Charge to current, you'll get a differential equation.

The capacitor start out with a charge of

[tex]1.60 \times 10^{-16}\ C[/tex]

this means that the initial voltage over the cap will be

[tex]V_o = \frac{1.60 \times 10^{-16}}{C}[/tex]

or rather... the RC discharge equation of the cap

[tex]V = V_o e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}[/tex]

can be rewritten for the decay of the charge on the cap using the relation

[tex]Q = CV[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the number of protons after 2 seconds using R and C values?

To calculate the number of protons after 2 seconds, you will need to use the equation N(t) = N0e-t/RC, where N(t) is the number of protons after time t, N0 is the initial number of protons, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance. You will also need to know the values of R and C for your specific scenario.

2. What do the R and C values represent in the equation for calculating protons after 2 seconds?

R and C represent the resistance and capacitance, respectively, in the circuit. Resistance is a measure of how much a material impedes the flow of electrical current, while capacitance is a measure of the ability of a material to hold an electrical charge.

3. Can I use different units for R and C in the equation?

Yes, you can use different units for R and C as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use ohms for R, you should also use farads for C.

4. What is the significance of the time constant (RC) in the equation for calculating protons after 2 seconds?

The time constant (RC) represents the time it takes for the number of protons to decrease by a factor of e (approximately 2.718). It is a measure of the speed at which the number of protons changes in the circuit.

5. Is the equation for calculating protons after 2 seconds using R and C values only applicable to certain types of circuits?

Yes, the equation N(t) = N0e-t/RC is specifically used for calculating protons in a circuit with resistance and capacitance. It may not be applicable for other types of circuits, such as those with inductance.