What is the physical meaning for time?

In summary: The other view is that time is something that we create, and that it is relative to the observer. In summary, time is an attempt at placing objectivity on our perception of the way the universe appears to progress from one event to another, it is not entirely arbitrary, and is based on the rotation and passage of the Earth about its sun. It is in essence entirely a concept and has no physical attribute except when it is placed in abstraction.
feynman60
[/FONT
hi
i know that day is rotation of Earth about it axis
and year is rotation of Earth about the sun , the time connected with rotation
my question is when remove the rotation we don t get the time?
so don t be found the time?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think day and night ... months days and hours is like a scale for time ...but i say that time exist like an example let's say we have no night we have anly days ... if we do something and after an hour we regret it ...here we wis hthat time can get back ...but it won't ...it do not have relation with day or night

Time is an attempt at placing objectivity on our perception of the way the universe appears to progress from one event to another, it is not entirely abritrary, and is based on the rotation and passage of the Earth about it's sun. It is in essence entirely a concept and has no physical attribute except when it is placed in abstraction. So for example I might grow old(physical abstraction) And time may pass, but what is passing is not a physical particle or anything it's just a consequence of the way matter appears to interact in the universe and proceed to act, and we base the consequences of this action in reality by callling it time.

EDIT: you could call time lubs, quorks and fligs and have each relative to the rotation of two binary stars and it would not in anyway effect how time progresses, time just is time.

there are things that will change the progression of time as perceived by an observer and someone else, but that's not what you asked :smile:

Last edited:
so was i right?by my meaning for time

moe_3_moe said:
so was i right?by my meaning for time

I'm not sure what you were saying, but if it's the same as what I said then yes :smile: To be honest saying anything more than what I just said will put this thread into the realms of philosophy. Check out that sub section if you want a logical analysis of time without scientific rigor.

feynman60 said:
[/FONT
hi
i know that day is rotation of Earth about it axis
and year is rotation of Earth about the sun , the time connected with rotation
my question is when remove the rotation we don t get the time?
so don t be found the time?

Consider this, the unit of time is the second. A second is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second#International_second

Time is another dimension besides length, width, and height, which allows you to define the position of an event/object in the universe.

Days, minutes, seconds, etc. are units of time, just as meters and inches are units of length. When the King died, "length" didn't cease to exist because there was no longer a foot with which to measure it, and time doesn't require the Earth's rotation to exist either.

Ranger posted the units of time, here's the definition of time itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time
There are two distinct views on the meaning of time. One view is that time is part of the fundamental structure of the universe, a dimension in which events occur in sequence.

1. What is the concept of time in physics?

The concept of time in physics refers to the measurement of duration and the order of events. It is a fundamental quantity in the universe and is often described as the fourth dimension. Time is considered to be a continuous and unidirectional quantity in physics.

2. How is time measured in physics?

In physics, time is typically measured using a clock, which is any device that can keep track of the passage of time. The standard unit of time in the International System of Units (SI) is the second, which is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 cycles of radiation of an atom of caesium-133.

3. What is the relationship between time and space in physics?

In physics, time and space are often considered together as part of the fabric of the universe known as spacetime. This concept was developed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity, which states that time and space are intertwined and cannot be separated. Changes in one can affect the other.

4. How does the concept of time change in different theories of physics?

The concept of time can vary in different theories of physics. In classical physics, time is considered absolute and unchanging, while in modern physics, such as in Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. In quantum mechanics, time is considered a parameter rather than a fundamental quantity.

5. How does the concept of time relate to the arrow of time?

The arrow of time refers to the unidirectional flow of time from the past to the future. In physics, the arrow of time is closely related to the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, giving a direction to the arrow of time.