Movement on a Sphere: Find Lat & Long of Point P

In summary: Theta is just a rotation about the origin (0,0). Phi is the periodic movement of the point around the origin. r is the radius of the sphere. Theta is just a rotation about the origin (0,0). Phi is the periodic movement of the point around the origin. r is the radius of the sphere.
Hi all,

I have a question on the movement of a point on a sphere.

Consider a point [tex]P(\theta,\phi)[/tex] ([tex]\theta[/tex] and[tex]\phi[/tex] are the latitude and the longitude, respectively)moving from a point [tex]P_1(\theta_1,\phi_1)[/tex] to a point [tex]P_2(\theta_2,\phi_2)[/tex] with a constant speed [tex]v[/tex].

How to find the latitude and the longitude of [tex]P(\theta,\phi)[/tex] (the expression of [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex]) if we suppose that the trajectory is the shortest distance between [tex]P_1[/tex] and [tex]P_2[/tex] ?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite understanding the question. Do you want the angles as a function of time, or one angle as a function of the other?

To start working on the problem, you can find the theta and phi components of the velocity from the known P1, P2 and the radius of the sphere. Then it shouldn't be too bad to write down expressions for the two angles as a function of t , since the speed is constant. The phi equation will take a little more trig than the equation for theta. When you get this far, you should be able to answer your question.

thank you for the answer.

I'm not quite understanding the question. Do you want the angles as a function of time, or one angle as a function of the other?

angles as a function of time.

I see how to do it on a circle but on a sphere I don't arrive to visualize the movement.

Just to be sure, on a circle of radius R we have that [tex]d \theta=\frac{v}{R} dt[/tex], so by integrating we have [tex]\theta(t)=\frac{v}{R} t + \theta_1[/tex] ?

You have the circle approach correct. The same approach will work for the theta component on the sphere. For phi, R will have to be replaced by R cos(theta), but the approach is otherwise the same. You will still have to figure out how to set up the two components of v (theta and phi) to go along a great circle from the initial to the final point.

thanks. I still don't see how things work. Any other help ?

I have that [tex]x=R \cos(\theta) \cos(\phi), \\ y=R \sin(\theta) \cos(\phi), \\ z=R \sin(\phi)[/tex]

and [tex]\frac{dr}{dt}=v [/tex]

what am I missing ?. Is [tex]\tan(\theta)=\frac{r}{R} [/tex] ?

Last edited:

What is "Movement on a Sphere: Find Lat & Long of Point P"?

"Movement on a Sphere: Find Lat & Long of Point P" is a mathematical concept used to calculate the latitude and longitude coordinates of a point on a spherical object, such as the Earth.

Why is it important to know the latitude and longitude of a point on a sphere?

Knowing the latitude and longitude of a point on a sphere is important for navigation, map-making, and understanding the location of different places on Earth.

What information is needed to calculate the latitude and longitude of a point on a sphere?

To calculate the latitude and longitude of a point on a sphere, you need the radius of the sphere, the coordinates of the center of the sphere, and the distance and direction of the point from the center.

What is the formula for calculating the latitude and longitude of a point on a sphere?

The formula for calculating the latitude and longitude of a point on a sphere is called the spherical coordinate system. It involves using trigonometric functions and the radius of the sphere to determine the coordinates.

Can the "Movement on a Sphere: Find Lat & Long of Point P" concept be applied to other spherical objects besides the Earth?

Yes, the concept of "Movement on a Sphere: Find Lat & Long of Point P" can be applied to any spherical object, such as other planets, moons, or even artificial objects like balloons or spheres used in scientific experiments.