How Do You Calculate Tension in Ropes on a Frictionless Ramp?

• Thread starter Smessy
  • Start date
In summary, two boxes with masses M1 = 0.5 kg and M2 = 2.8 kg are connected by a rope and placed on a frictionless ramp at an angle of 29° with the horizontal. The tension in the rope connecting the two boxes is unknown, and the tension in the rope connecting the first box to the ramp is also unknown. To find the tension in the second rope, the formula M1 x g x sin29 is not correct. After some thought, the correct solution was found.
Smessy
Two boxes with different masses M1 = 0.5 kg and M2 = 2.8 kg are tied together on a frictionless ramp surface which makes an angle = 29° with the horizontal.

What is the tension in the rope connecting the two boxes? _____N
What is the tension in the rope connecting the first box to the ramp? ______ N

Ok, so I thought for the second part of the problem you would take M1 x g x sin29, however I do not think this is correct. Therefore I am completely stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just figured it out, sorry for the wasted post.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the forces acting on the system. In this case, the only external forces are the weight of the two boxes and the tension in the rope. The weight of each box can be calculated as M1g and M2g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Next, I would draw a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on each box. The weight of each box would act downwards and the tension in the rope would act upwards.

To calculate the tension in the rope connecting the two boxes, we can use the fact that the boxes are connected and therefore have the same acceleration. This means that the net force on the system must be equal to the total mass of the boxes multiplied by their common acceleration. So, we can set up the equation T - M1g - M2g = (M1 + M2)a, where T is the tension and a is the acceleration.

Solving for T, we get T = (M1 + M2)g - (M1 + M2)asinθ. Plugging in the given values, we get T = (0.5 kg + 2.8 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) - (0.5 kg + 2.8 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)sin29° = 32.76 N. Therefore, the tension in the rope connecting the two boxes is 32.76 N.

To find the tension in the rope connecting the first box to the ramp, we can use the same equation but only consider the forces acting on the first box. So, T - M1g = M1a. Solving for T, we get T = M1g + M1asinθ. Plugging in the values, we get T = (0.5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) + (0.5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)sin29° = 5.16 N. Therefore, the tension in the rope connecting the first box to the ramp is 5.16 N.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. Remember to always identify the forces acting on the system and use Newton's second law (F=ma) to solve for unknown quantities.

1. What is the concept of "Tensions with two boxes"?

The concept of "Tensions with two boxes" is a thought experiment that explores the concept of decision making and rationality. It involves two boxes, one of which contains a known amount of money and the other either contains double the amount or nothing. The question is whether it is rational to choose to take both boxes or only the second box, given that the decision has already been made by a predictor.

2. Who came up with the idea of "Tensions with two boxes"?

The concept of "Tensions with two boxes" was originally proposed by philosopher Robert Nozick in his 1969 paper "Newcomb's Problem and Two Principles of Choice".

3. What is the paradox associated with "Tensions with two boxes"?

The paradox of "Tensions with two boxes" lies in the fact that the decision to take both boxes or only the second box seems to depend on whether the predictor has already made their prediction or not. This leads to a contradiction and raises questions about the concept of free will.

4. How does the "Tensions with two boxes" experiment relate to real-life decision making?

The "Tensions with two boxes" experiment is often used as a tool to explore the concepts of rationality and decision making. It raises questions about the role of predictors, the concept of free will, and the factors that influence our decisions in real-life situations.

5. What are the different interpretations of "Tensions with two boxes"?

There are various interpretations of "Tensions with two boxes", including the causal interpretation, the evidential interpretation, and the dominating strategy interpretation. These different interpretations attempt to explain the paradox of the experiment and offer different perspectives on the concept of rational decision making.